• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams questions preseason logic

DrReality

Marvin Williams questions preseason logic

Hawks facing difficult opening stretch on the road

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Auburn Hills, Mich. — When Marvin Williams first saw that the Hawks’ preseason schedule he thought it was a joke. After all, it included a three-game road trip the first week and a trip to Detroit as the finale.

“Who would do that?” he said. “You play at Orlando, then Phoenix and then Portland (in Kansas City) in the span of five days and it already feels like one of our long road trips during the [regular] season. There’s nothing ‘preseason’ about it.”

With a daunting 10 of their first 16 regular-season games on the road, the Hawks couldn’t have asked for a better cheat sheet than that preseason slate. It concludes tonight at the Palace of Auburn Hills against the Pistons.

Despite his professed desire to win every preseason game, the best Mike Woodson’s team can do is finish 4-4 with a win tonight.

Rather than wins, Woodson has accumulated a wealth of data about his team, particularly his newcomers, and how they respond to the trials and tribulations that come with working on the road in the NBA.

After winning just 12 road games a year ago, Woodson has placed a strong emphasis on improving his team’s fortunes away from Philips Arena.

Solve that problem and maintain a strong presence at home, he theorized, and a 50-win season goes from a pipe dream to a realistic benchmark for a team trying to achieve new heights.

“Anybody can see that of all the ways we have to get better, and there are plenty of them, finding a way to win on the road is right at the top of the list,” Woodson said. “If you just go back to last season and look at all the games we played on the road where we had chances to win and didn’t, for whatever reasons, it changes your season around dramatically if you find ways to pull those games out.

“Learning how to focus and maintain away from home is something that veteran teams tend to do better than younger teams. And we’re not young anymore. We should expect to win our share of road games and then be expected to take care of our home as well.”

Winning against the Pistons tonight got a little bit tougher when Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson was left home for the trip, so he could rest his sore groin.

But the Hawks will have Williams back — he’s missed the past 13 quarters of preseason action with a sprained ligament in the thumb on his non-shooting hand.

Both Williams and reserve guard Mo Evans are expected to be available against the Pistons. Evans sat out Monday’s loss to Orlando at Philips Arena after needing stitches in his lip to close a gash suffered in a win in Charlotte last Saturday.

“We’re at the point now where [the Oct. 29 regular season opener in] Orlando is right around the corner so we need everybody back healthy and ready to go,” second-year Hawks center Al Horford said. “Just going by the way things went last year, for me at least, now is the time you want to really be getting into form. You really want to be in a good rhythm as a group.

“Everybody needs to be on the same page and gearing up for the regular season, because a slow start puts you behind the curve. And that’s not where we want to be, not with the schedule we have to start the season.”

I've actually thought that this preseason was more productive in terms of evaluation than last preseason.

On top of that, I thik most starters sort of coast in preseason games so that they don't get injured. Losing a player in a preseason game is INFURIATING, see Vick, Michael 2003-2004.

I'm sure Marv is gonna catch some flack around here for sayin it though.

Edited by crimedog

I've actually thought that this preseason was more productive in terms of evaluation than last preseason.

On top of that, I thik most starters sort of coast in preseason games so that they don't get injured. Losing a player in a preseason game is INFURIATING, see Vick, Michael 2003-2004.

I'm sure Marv is gonna catch some flack around here for sayin it though.

Actually, I think Marv was complaining about having that long road trip during preseason when most teams have shorter road trips and/or play close to home during the preseason.

Edited by Traceman

• Premium Member
Actually, I think Marv was complaining about having that long road trip during preseason when most teams have shorter road trips and/or play close to home during the preseason.

This year, Marvin has to show something.

Him starting off complaining about anything is not good.

I dont know what Marvin is complaining for. Some teams went to freaking China and Paris to play and then came back home and played again in the states few days later! why he is complaining about that..i have no idea! Im a fan of Marvin but this is just un called for..just play and dont complain. all these overpaid athletes need to shut their mouths and play ball!

“I told you I needed to feed my family, they offered me 3 years at $21 million. That’s not going to cut it. And I’m not going to sit here and continue to give my children food while this front office takes money out of my pocket" - Latrell Sprewell

these guys forget that they have it really good and easy and that there are ppl who actually suffer and are broke!

just venting lol

I dont know what Marvin is complaining for. Some teams went to freaking China and Paris to play and then came back home and played again in the states few days later! why he is complaining about that..i have no idea! Im a fan of Marvin but this is just un called for..just play and dont complain. all these overpaid athletes need to shut their mouths and play ball!

“I told you I needed to feed my family, they offered me 3 years at $21 million. That’s not going to cut it. And I’m not going to sit here and continue to give my children food while this front office takes money out of my pocket" - Latrell Sprewell

these guys forget that they have it really good and easy and that there are ppl who actually suffer and are broke!

just venting lol

I think you are doing what I did and not really reading the quote. Seemed sort of like an off-hand comment that Marv made, nothing too serious. Sekou/Sekou's editors probably could have done a better job with the title of this one.

I think you are doing what I did and not really reading the quote. Seemed sort of like an off-hand comment that Marv made, nothing too serious. Sekou/Sekou's editors probably could have done a better job with the title of this one.

I agree that I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit.

I'm almost convinced that Sekou has no editors as a large percentage of his articles have multiple typos in them. I like his articles but I really don't think anyone proof reads them.

This is one of the more ridiculous "headline stories" I've ever seen.

I'd love more stories like this, maybe is someone mentions that the ac was turned on too high in an arena, or that the Bobcats have rough towels in the locker room. Or maybe one of the players can't stand the in flight movie selection across the continent.

Silly attempt at getting readers to be drawn to "something".

This is one of the more ridiculous "headline stories" I've ever seen.

I'd love more stories like this, maybe is someone mentions that the ac was turned on too high in an arena, or that the Bobcats have rough towels in the locker room. Or maybe one of the players can't stand the in flight movie selection across the continent.

Silly attempt at getting readers to be drawn to "something".

I don't even think it was that, I think that Sekou just used Marv's comment that it there was a lot of travelling in the pre to launch into the meat of the story which is Woody's view on the importance of preseason.