How well did Joe get along with Amare?

mrhonline

Does any know/remember?

No clue, although everything I've read makes Amare seem like he was a pain in the ass on a personal level (not to the same extent as Marion though). Joe is a pretty reserved guy too, he loves the game and devotes his life to that but he's not part of a band of brothers - he seems to have a good relationship w/ Josh on the court but Josh generally runs and jumps on anyone who makes a good play. I know he likes Bibby and Flip, otherwise its hard to tell. I heard Paul Shirley in an interview and he said that out of everyone he saw in the NBA, Joe Johnson had the biggest entourage...

Anyway, I know Amare isn't thrilled with his PHX situation right now but I doubt Joe's presence makes much of a difference one way or another.

Porter's removal of responsibility from Nash has had the effect of hurting Amare too though. Those two used to just kill teams on the PnR and now they never run that. They have enough talent to win regardless but they have to start playing to their strengths if they want to do anything impressive.

Nah from what I heard, Joe was pretty cool with everyone on the Suns, and it was Marion who was always the pain in the ass (not Amare).

Not sure if you remember, but when there was that draft-day rumor of us getting Amare for the 3rd and 11th picks (3-way trade for KG), Joe and Amare mentioned that they had called each other up and were excited about the prospects of playing together again. They definitely are cool with eachother.

Whats your proposal MrH? Horford and a 1st?

Yep, Joe and Amare are cool, and apparently Amare was cool with coming to Atlanta:

"It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade."

http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/06/27/amare-w...-atlanta-trade/

"Hawks star Joe Johnson called Amare Stoudemire, his former Suns teammate, to tell him he’d like to reunite after Hawks officials approached Johnson with a proposal that had Kevin Garnett coming to Phoenix, Stoudemire going to Atlanta and a pick, likely Atlanta’s No. 3 overall selection, going to Minnesota. The problem is it was a conversation that only Minnesota and Atlanta shared, although a Hawks owner claimed to veto the idea."

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/2007/06/...e-atlant-hawks/

Nah from what I heard, Joe was pretty cool with everyone on the Suns, and it was Marion who was always the pain in the ass (not Amare).

Not sure if you remember, but when there was that draft-day rumor of us getting Amare for the 3rd and 11th picks (3-way trade for KG), Joe and Amare mentioned that they had called each other up and were excited about the prospects of playing together again. They definitely are cool with eachother.

I don't think they disliked eachother, I just remember reading in 7 seconds or less that Amare was immature and egotistical.

Anyway, MrH is a smarter man than I, at least with regards to the cap so lets look at 10'.

the Only big contract we have now is Josh which will be around 11.6 for 10'. Al has a team option for about 5.5 but we will probably extend him that summer, right? Either way though, thats the number we'd have to take into acct for the cap purposes although I could be mistaken. Similarly Law as a 2.9 figure, although his future is more in ?. Otherwise its just Mo at 2.5M unless he opts out for more. All told (be the unreliable hoopshype) its 14.1 plus appx 20 for Joe which is 5 players, assume 10 for Marv. 6 players. Depending on who else we fill out the roster with we would have another 20m to play with for 8-9 spots.

Maybe my math is off. Maybe we lose some of those cats.

I'm thinking that the Hawks might make a move to sign Amare in 2010.

Im definitely all for that, but a front court of Horf, Smoove and Amare is a bit crowded. Would you trade either Horf or Smoove for a stud pg to put next to Joe? Im having a hard time thinking of the right candidate.

I doubt the money is there to sign Amare in 2010, unless you plan on renouncing Joe.

Would anybody here swap Bibby/Horford for Amare? (We'll assume that he keeps whining about PHX and the Suns become interested in the cap relief/young PF package...)

I'd consider it, but I doubt I'd pull the trigger. Amare's defense/rebounding are very poor and I still have reservations about Acie at this point.

A long time to go before we worry about the details, but what you would do, if you have the space, is sign JJ first and then Amare.

Amare has averaged 9.1 and 9.6 rebounds the last two years. His defense I will somewhat agree but he is an underrated blocker averaging 2.1 per game last year. I would get him if I could in a heart beat.

Amare can score in bunches, but his defense is terrible. We would proabably have to trade Smoove for him, but that's not gonna make us better. Sure we will be more efficient offensively, but we would be one of the worst defensive teams in the league. If we trade AL for him than we will be even more undersized because AL plays bigger than he actually is.