• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smith plans to start slow

DrReality

Smith plans to start slow

Hawks forward has missed 12 games with ankle injury

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

After spending nearly every moment of the past three weeks plotting his return from a high ankle sprain, the last thing Hawks forward Josh Smith wants to do Wednesday night is rush things.

It won’t be easy for Smith, the Hawks’ emotional and impulsive fifth-year power forward.

Hawks forward Josh Smith was averaging 12 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 2.3 steals, before the injury. • Schedule • Standings • Stats

His 12-game absence has made him eager to get back into the mix with his teammates against the Memphis Grizzlies at Philips Arena, but Smith knows better than to push too hard or try to do more than his body will allow.

“That’s the big emphasis right now is to try not to overdo it because I’m so excited to be back,” Smith said. “That’s just a part of listening to your body and knowing how many minutes your body can take the first night back. And I won’t lie, my body will have to tell me because in my mind, I want it all back right now.”

That he’ll make his first start since Nov. 7 against the Grizzlies comes with an added twist for Smith. The Grizzlies are the team that put forth the five-year, $58 million offer sheet in August that allowed the Hawks to keep him. The Hawks matched the offer before the night ended.

“That is sort of crazy when you think about it,” Smith said and then smiled. “They’re the ones that made things happen for me this summer. It is ironic that I’m coming back against them.”

Smith played well in the Hawks’ first four games, all victories, averaging 12 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 2.3 steals.

It wasn’t easy watching, though, particularly the rematch game in Boston on Nov. 12. He also had to watch the first few road games he missed from home, as he was not allowed to travel with the team while his ankle healed.

It wasn’t clear just how much he was missed until the Hawks’ endured a four-game losing streak without him, with teams attacking them inside knowing that the shot-blocking terror was nowhere around.

“You’re talking about missing one of the leading shot-blockers in the league and probably the best athlete in the league,” Hawks captain Joe Johnson said. “That takes away from our versatility because he can play out on the perimeter and inside and he can put the ball on the floor and go to the basket and create for others, plus the rebounding and defense, that’s a huge loss.

“It’s going to take us a few games, but as we get him back, we should get things back on track.”

Hawks coach Mike Woodson said he’s not sure how long it will take Smith to get back to full speed. There was even some questions as to whether coming back against the Grizzlies was too soon, the initial diagnosis having called for him to miss anywhere from two to four weeks.

He’s back at the start of his fourth week, which is roughly three weeks later than Smith would have liked.

“We’re going to monitor his minutes,” Woodson said. “I just have to see how he responds early and keep an eye on him from there. Because you always have to be careful in these situations that you’re not pushing a guy too hard, too fast. What I do know is he’s a competitor, and he’s going to want to be out there every minute he can. And you’ve got to respect a guy who plays with that kind of attitude.”

And make no mistake about it, Smith’s fiery attitude, as well as all the other things he brings, has been sorely missed.

“You’re definitely missed when you’re gone,” said Smith, who has had to endure daily quizzes from his teammates about when he would return. “It’s the same thing we went through when Joe went out with that calf injury a couple of years ago. … I think we understood what he brought to our team, the offense he generated and him basically being the catalyst for everything. We missed him terribly when he was out.

“When you get that guy back, though, it makes you that much more explosive. That’s the impact I’m trying to have, in time.”

• Premium Member

If you remember back when Smoove came back from hernia surgery, he exploded out of the gates and tried to affect every aspect of the game. He was jumping all over the place and leading the fast break. I can't help but think that this time will be no different. I love to see him play when he's like that because it seems to energize the team so much. The team could use a little pickup rigt now. I feel a major run coming on. We'll proably pick up where we left off before he got injured.

“We’re going to monitor his minutes,” Woodson said. “I just have to see how he responds early and keep an eye on him from there. Because you always have to be careful in these situations that you’re not pushing a guy too hard, too fast. What I do know is he’s a competitor, and he’s going to want to be out there every minute he can. And you’ve got to respect a guy who plays with that kind of attitude.”

Considering Woodson's past tack record, this quote tells me all I need to know about how many minutes Smith will play. Look for Josh and JJ to play 36 and 42 minutes vs the Griz.

Every time Woodson says he'll limit minutes, the next game a guy logs more than his season average.

Just watch

:computer2:

That griping aside- I am REALLY glad that Smith is getting back on the court. Smith is a linchpin player for the team and the last 2 weeks have really shown how important he is.

Hopefully the Hawks will soar the remainder of the month. With the big 8 game homestand coming up, the team can really solidify its early season position in the standings.

In all, WELCOME BACK JOSH, man we missed you

:cheers: