• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody's eight-man rotation

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

We’ve all been killing Woody for a while now about this. But here's another way to digest it. There was a point last year when Zaza was playing like crap and Woody didn’t hesitate to sit him. I think he and Z even exchange words over this. This year Z is getting tons of PT. Has his offensive game improved that much? No. It’s because he’s giving more effort on the floor. Z’s defense and rebounding is much better these days. And if he’s giving more effort on game day then he’s probably doing the same during practice. This may explain why your favorite bench guy isn’t getting much PT. We see a DNP and think “Why is this guy not getting minutes?” Do we really know that it’s not all on the player? I would love to see more of Acie, Morris, and Solo but I'm starting to think that these guys may not be giving Woody much reason to do so.

We’ve all been killing Woody for a while now about this. But here's another way to digest it. There was a point last year when Zaza was playing like crap and Woody didn’t hesitate to sit him. I think he and Z even exchange words over this. This year Z is getting tons of PT. Has his offensive game improved that much? No. It’s because he’s giving more effort on the floor. Z’s defense and rebounding is much better these days. And if he’s giving more effort on game day then he’s probably doing the same during practice. This may explain why your favorite bench guy isn’t getting much PT. We see a DNP and think “Why is this guy not getting minutes?” Do we really know that it’s not all on the player? I would love to see more of Acie, Morris, and Solo but I'm starting to think that these guys may not be giving Woody much reason to do so.

I don't like an 8-man rotation for a few reasons.

First, I think our players will be exhausted when it comes time for the playoffs(or even before then) because they play way too much. Joe Johnson plays heavy minutes and barely gets any rest. It can really catch up to some guys in the long run.

Second, if of or more of the 8 players get injured and have to sit out for an extended period, you then will be forced to play someone who hasn't seen the court too much and is inexperienced. This leads to chemistry problems and a player looking lost and like a deer in head lights(Morris)

and my other reason, which some ppl would probably disagree with is because this is the NBA, a professional sport that pays millions..dont let these guys be millionaires for just basketball practice! lol

• Moderators

I would agree with you except for two things. First Solo and Acie I think have played with a lot of effort when they've had the chance but still end up on the bench. Second Woody himself keeps saying he needs to get guys more playing time but he doesn't.

I just saw this in Sekou's column about Woody's practice after the Orlando game:

But if they weren’t committed to doing things the way they have along the road to this 22-12 record, he’d be happy to make sure and play guys that were committed to doing it that way.

I think starters know this is an idle threat. Its never happened no matter how poorly they have played. Zaza and other bench guys who play 1 to 10 minutes a night get held to this standard but not the starters.

• Premium Member
I would agree with you except for two things. First Solo and Acie I think have played with a lot of effort when they've had the chance but still end up on the bench. Second Woody himself keeps saying he needs to get guys more playing time but he doesn't.

I just saw this in Sekou's column about Woody's practice after the Orlando game:

I think starters know this is an idle threat. Its never happened no matter how poorly they have played. Zaza and other bench guys who play 1 to 10 minutes a night get held to this standard but not the starters.

Acie and Solo have played well when given the minutes but I think Woody may be a big practice guy (a Larry Brown type). I f Woody sees a guy hustling during practice then he's probably more willing to play him.

But I don't know if this applies to Mario West. From what I've heard Mario always going hard at practice. Then again Mario just may not be NBA material.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I think Woody gets too nervous during the course of a game to put the others guys in. I agree that he says one thing and then does another, that's not how you garner respect. Still wonder if Sund needs to have a sit down with him about this?

I agree this is the reason. Woodson panics too easily. He really doesn't seem to develop trust in players unless he HAS to play them due to injury or nothing else on the roster (e.g., Royal Ivy). Point is, Woodson needs to develop his rotation over the next few weeks and stick to it to get the starters minutes down, and the bench some much needed experience.