• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A bit of optimism

bronnt

Hawks shot 84% from the line against New Jersey. True, Josh Smith didn't attempt a free throw and has been one of the main culprits, but maybe the team hit the tipping point with their shooting woes, and have now been taken to task appropriately. Plus, I also started closing my eyes when the Hawks were attempting free throws, and it seems to have really made an impact.

On a serious note, Joe Johnson responded to being named an All-star by playing like an All-star. Mike Bibby chose the exact same game to come out of his funk. It's funny how those two are almost the only guys that seem to matter for Atlanta. They go through a serious funk at the same time, and Atlanta has no chance. Nevermind that Josh Smith played incredible for 9 games, Flip Murray is having perhaps the best month of his career, and Marvin Williams has added a few strong performances. Tonight, Atlanta controlled the game against a team who had been giving them fits all season, and Josh Smith was MIA pretty much the entire second half.

Now, it's not that we don't want Josh Smith to continue playing well, we just need him to do it alongside JJ and Bibby. If he continues to play well and JJ is truly out of his slump, Hawks could be poised to make a run. Here's the upcoming schedule leading up to the all-star break.

1/31, at Milwaukee: This is a team we just blew out by 30 last week. It will be tougher at their place, and it will be on the end of a back-to-back, but they played tonight also. They're missing Michael Redd, and when we beat them last week, JJ had a horrible game. Hawks should win this.

2/4, at Minnesota: Timberwolves are playing better but certainly are no powerhouse. Hawks will be coming off of three days rest, and this is really a team they should beat. Minnesota will be playing on the end of a back-to-back, so they could be a bit tired.

2/6, at Charlotte: Again, certainly not a powerhouse. Hawks have to avoid coming out flat against these guys, but there's a chance Al will be back to help with Okafor. They'll be without Gerald Wallace, so Atlanta just needs to make sure DJ Augustin doesn't drop 30 on them. Hopefully we'll use Marvin to guard Diaw and limit him-Diaw has played very well lately.

2/7, vs LA Clippers: Camby is back, but it doesn't really matter since he played when the Hawks beat them in their own building two weeks ago. Bench play will be important in this one because the Clippers have had the opportunity to develop their own bench with lots of injuries to the starters. The Clippers just aren't a very good team, and even though Baron Davis will be playing, he's not gelling with his teammates the way they'd want. Again, while Atlanta will be playing the second of a back-to-back, so will the Clippers. A very winnable game.

2/10, vs Washington: Please, for goodness' sake, don't lose at home to the Wizards.

2/11, at Detroit: On paper, this is the only game that looks tough. Allen Iverson is, as well all know, a Hawk killer just like Vince Carter...only even worse. If the Hawks take care of business leading up to this game and then knock off Detroit, it would really put some distance between them. Detroit has games vs Cleveland, vs Miami, at Milwaukee, vs Phoenix, and at Chicago between now and then. Last meeting between Atlanta and Detroit was a low-scoring affair; only Bibby and Al Horford played very well in that meeting. Atlanta still won, 85-78. Detroit isn't the best home team in the league, but Atlanta will still need to being its A-game in order to win this one.

Best case scenario: 7-0, with 34 wins at the break and a secure hold on fourth place (with a chance, albeit a small one, of being in position to make a run on the top 3).

My prediction: 5-2, with 32 wins and a 1 game lead over the Pistons.

Worst case: 2-5, with 29 wins, and sitting in 6th place in the standings-with Philadelphia making a push for 6th.

Geez, I take a further look at the schedule, and it's a murderers row after the all-star break all the way to the end of the season.

29 games following the break. Hawks opponents include:

2 games against the Lakers.

2 games against the Celtics.

2 games against the Cavaliers.

1 game against Orlando.

1 game against New Orleans.

1 game against San Antonio.

1 game against Dallas.

2 games against Portland.

1 game against Denver.

2 games against Miami.

1 game against Detroit.

2 games against Utah (better than their record, IMO).

1 game against Philadelphia.

Going to need to be at their best for that.

I'm actually not too worried about the big games, since our guys tend more often than not, to show up with their A-game for the big games.

It's the small games that worry me. The Milwaukees, Minnesotas, Oklahoma Citys, & Washingtons worry me more than anything. Those are the games where we tend to slip up, and we really can't afford to do that since we've got teams hot on our trail now, and we REALLY need to host a playoff series if we're gonna have a good chance of advancing in the playoffs.

Many things seem to come together last night.

JJ and Bibby hitting shots

Smith continuing to play well

Marvin with a solid game

Bench contributing well

Woodson finally playing Acie legit minutes as well as the other major players on the bench

NJ finally not shooting lights out against us

All in all a great night for the Hawks.

The next 7 look much easier than the post A-S game schedule. 7-0 is probably hoping for too much, but 5-2 is what the Hawk's realistic goal should be.

Then they go off and lose a game to Mil. We really miss Al's presence on the inside and I think that has to do alot with the way we've been playing while he's been injured. Also I'm on the Fire Mike Woodson bandwagon. He wears down Bibby and Joe by playing these guys 40 min. a night so they have nothing left in the tank for the long haul. Joe leads the leauge in MPG and it seems he's done so every year just about since he's been a Hawk which is as long as Woody has been here.

That's not my only reason. My main reason being he doesn't know how to set up offensive plays at all. I don't believe this team is playing up to it's potential and that solely falls into the lap of one person. Yes I'm happy were out of the cellar but i'm not satisfied.

My main reason being he doesn't know how to set up offensive plays at all. I don't believe this team is playing up to it's potential and that solely falls into the lap of one person. Yes I'm happy were out of the cellar but i'm not satisfied.

I agree. Tonight (and most other games) i wish we would have used Marvin more. 4 Field goal attempts is pathetic and it's not his fault. We are all one-on-one and it drives me crazy with all the talent we have.

I agree. Tonight (and most other games) i wish we would have used Marvin more. 4 Field goal attempts is pathetic and it's not his fault. We are all one-on-one and it drives me crazy with all the talent we have.

I agree 100%. It's insane how talented this team actually is. Bibby is playing solid, JJ is the normal, Smoove has picked up his game lately, Marvin has increased his range this season and we have two solid players on the bench. We really need Horford back so we can get the most out of Zaza who has been playing relatively nice since Horford has been out.

My thoughts exactly Marvin and Horford should get more attempts then they do. It's not their fault they don't get the ball enough they make their shots as evident by their FG%

Great blog post

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Why Not Forfeit?

Bill Russell had a famous approach to his attitude regarding playing games. He said that the game was on the schedule, you have to play it, you might as well win. That approach says a lot about how his Boston Celtic teams were not just merely great, but all time great.

Let's just say the Atlanta Hawks have not embraced that philosophy.

In fact, one might say that the team has adopted a different approach and to the untrained (read: HHB) eyes, it looks a little like this:

We are going to play the way that each individual feels like playing. We're going to seek to do the bare minimum and try to win. We're going to give effort in spurts and hope that's enough to beat this team. If more energy or execution is required to win the game, then we won't win the game.

This alleged approach has led the Hawks to look the part of a disinterested, disjointed squad---and the results have reflected as such.

Against the Bucks on Saturday night, the Hawks looked as if playing defense was a foreign language to them as Milwaukee and their roster of journeymen and neverwillbes paraded to the hoop like a charity game. Sometimes the lack of interest in defending the easiest of shots was so profound, the HHB thought the Hawks were paid promotional patsies for the home team.

The fact that the game appeared close only highlights the fact that, should the Hawks have showed ANY interest on the defensive end, this game would have been as much a laugher as the game in Atlanta was. That these Bucks shot 52 percent, scored 110 points and had a whopping 52 points in the paint tells a strong story about a team that appeared to try and show up with their talent and win.

It was wasted minutes by all Hawks involved.

We will say this---we try to find the light heartedness in the midst of a long season. The HHB tries not to take things too seriously in the context of one game out of 82.

But---

If the Hawks don't permanently break out of the habit of taking the other team's temperature to see how hard they may have to play to win, they will go nowhere this season.

If the Hawks don't approach defense, especially in the paint, with more attention and dedication, they will go nowhere this season.

The Hawks tried to show up and win---and failed. It's an approach that seems to have become their calling card since a successful December. There could be a number of excuses why: fatigue, malaise, injuries---but there is no excuse for not being ready to give yourself the best chance to win every night. It's an attitude---and the one the Hawks are currently displaying doesn't get the job done in the NBA.

And if they need to find one that does, they should refer to Mr. Russell.

End communique.

Posted by Jason Walker at 5:20 AM

He highlights exactly the way I feel about this team right now.