• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Being mediocre sucks!

HawkItus

Yeps, We had the No. 2, No. 3, and two No. 6 pics and didn't come out of them with a star. Good players but no star.

Should have put some kind of package together to get Chris Bosh in my opinion.

Hawk88

We shoulda put a package together for Lebron or Dwight... we just couldn't. The only player who would entice Toronto to give up Bosh is Smith (Joe obviously would be considered but then they'd have to worry about him bolting too which could amount to trading a year and a half of Bosh for a year and a half of Joe). Smith is a) BYC and b) can't be trading without consent... so I'm not too upset that Bosh isn't in a Hawks uni.

Beyond that, who was the best player on the market? Amare, and he didn't get traded because the Suns went back to running and gunning.

So who was the best player to get traded? JO or Marion.

Are those the type of players to take a team like ours out of mediocrity? Especially if the cost of getting them is a starter on our team or multiple quality bench players? No, obviously not.

Its a lot easier to say that we should have made an impact move than to actually come up with one that would really have made an impact.

We are going to be stuck behind the Cs as long as KG is still KG, we are going to be stuck behind the Cavs and Magic as long as they have Bron' and Dwight. The only way to pass them is to be smart about building a strong, motivated, and cohesive team and the only way to do that is to be smart about the contracts we take on. This team isn't ready to compete. Marv, Al, and Josh are key to this team being competitive and none of them are ready yet, although all of them have shown signs of getting in that direction. My thought is that we have to let them develop another season and then be smart about getting complementary peices who a) want to be here and b) complement our core. Teams who make panic moves at the deadline rarely do well. The Lakers waited a few years of Kobe's prime to make the Gasol move but in the end they were much smarter to do that than to trade for a quickly declining Kidd.

I know it sounds like "wait another year" but for the most part, teams don't do what Boston did and go from lottery to championship immediately. We were a 37 win team last season, this season we are hoping for something around a 10 game improvement... that isn't "waiting for next year" that is seeing dramatic improvement.

That is the story of Atlanta sports. I know I'd rather have the 3 or 4 years of Celtics success rather than 10 years of mediocrity. I'd rather be the Marlins with 2 championships and no division titles rather than the Braves. Sports go in 3-4 year cycles and not 10 year cycles. It is rare for a team to be like San Antonio where the core stays together for 8-9 years. Statistics say that we will lose one or more of our young players to injury or free agency. We should have moved Childress last year when he could have brought us a decent return. We should have done the same thing with Marvin. You mean to tell me that no one wanted to trade a piece for a 23 year old #2 pick who avg 15 ppg? With all of these stiffs that have been traded for impact players you mean to tell me that we couldn't get a Wilcox or a Dalembert? Why is it that other teams can turn chicken s#it into chicken salad but our teams can never do it?

Okay, spelled out like this it does look a lot better. But, let me kick a little dirt on the blanket.

-Who says with the new economic atmosphere that Smoove's deal doesn't look like an albatross this summer?

-Most guys who are going to be available will have pretty bad deals

-Ownership might become a seller if we don't win big soon.

I don't know. I see your points and can see a glass half full perspective. But, I'm also adding a little bit of the Hawks/Atlanta sports karma here. When has anything ever worked out perfectly for an Atlanta team?

Whenever we run into a city that's more cursed than us in a championship (such as Cleveland.) lol.

With that said...considering the team that we have, waiting til next year WILL reap results. The team has gotten slowly gotten better every year in the Woodson era, and who knows where the ceiling is with this team? They're still young, and I think someone pointed out that there really isn't a trade out there that would've vaulted us into being highly regarded like the powerhouses of each conference.

So yeah...I will just continue to bide my time. As frustrating as it is to watch them play...they still have much room to get better.

Whenever we run into a city that's more cursed than us in a championship (such as Cleveland.) lol.

With that said...considering the team that we have, waiting til next year WILL reap results. The team has gotten slowly gotten better every year in the Woodson era, and who knows where the ceiling is with this team? They're still young, and I think someone pointed out that there really isn't a trade out there that would've vaulted us into being highly regarded like the powerhouses of each conference.

So yeah...I will just continue to bide my time. As frustrating as it is to watch them play...they still have much room to get better.

It isn't that simple. A big reason for our success is that Flip and Bibby are having career years. they are both UFAs.

Someone posted today that the Hawks have the 3rd toughest schedule the rest of the season. That obviously means that the Hawks have had one of the easiest schedules up to this point. Not only that but the opposing teams have been riddled with injuries.

We just barely beat Sactown (an 11 win team) without two of it's best players. That has been a frequent story this year.