Falcon's FA

DrReality

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quiet walk up to deadline

Falcons’ moves: Little progress on the top four free agents.

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Falcons made several roster moves Thursday, but none involving their top four players scheduled to become free agents.

Domonique Foxworth, Keith Brooking, Michael Boley and Chauncey Davis were to become unrestricted free agents at 12:01 a.m. today, the start of the NFL’s signing period. Brooking and Boley, both linebackers, and Foxworth, a cornerback, were defensive starters most of last season. Davis, a defensive end, was a reliable reserve.

While negotiations continued with those players, the Falcons agreed to terms with three unrestricted free agents, according to their agents: tight end Justin Peelle, linebacker Coy Wire and defensive tackle Jason Jefferson.

Right tackle Tyson Clabo and right guard Harvey Dahl received second-round tenders as restricted free agents. That means the Falcons would receive a second-round draft pick from any team that signs them.

Wide receiver Brian Finneran had his contract restructured, according to his agent.

Reserve offensive lineman Ben Wilkerson, a restricted free agent, will return to the Falcons after agreeing to a veteran minimum offer.

“He appreciates the opportunity they have given him,” said William L. Johnson, Wilkerson’s Atlanta-based agent.

Wire agreed to a two-year contract. He was signed to a veteran minimum contract last season and, per league rules, cannot sign a new contract until Sunday, the first day of the league’s new business year. Wire took over the starting strongside linebacker position from Boley late last season.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team will not be a major player in the free-agent market this offseason. However, it could sign one or more mid-level players.

With the loss of Lawyer Milloy, an unrestricted free agent the Falcons decided not to re-sign, they are looking to revamp their defense, especially the secondary. Dimitroff said the Falcons would rely heavily on the draft. At the just-completed NFL scouting combine, they were strongly scouting the safety and cornerback groups.

Last season, Dimitroff drafted three eventual starters: quarterback Matt Ryan, left tackle Sam Baker and middle linebacker Curtis Lofton. He also selected key reserves in wide receiver Harry Douglas and nickel back Chevis Jackson.

FREE AGENT GLANCE

Here are five possible free-agent targets for the Falcons:

1. Ron Bartell, CB, Rams: Could be a nice replacement if Domonique Foxworth is not retained.

2. Mike Brown, S, Bears: Savvy veteran who could stabilize the unit.

3. L.J. Smith, TE, Eagles: A decent pass-catcher, but he would have to get reacquainted with blocking.

4. Dre’ Bly, CB, Broncos: The veteran could be a nice option.

5. Sean Jones, S, Browns: Former Georgia Bulldogs star is the type of combo safety the Falcons covet

FREE AGENT GLANCE

Here are five possible free-agent targets for the Falcons:

1. Ron Bartell, CB, Rams: Could be a nice replacement if Domonique Foxworth is not retained.

2. Mike Brown, S, Bears: Savvy veteran who could stabilize the unit.

3. L.J. Smith, TE, Eagles: A decent pass-catcher, but he would have to get reacquainted with blocking.

4. Dre’ Bly, CB, Broncos: The veteran could be a nice option.

5. Sean Jones, S, Browns: Former Georgia Bulldogs star is the type of combo safety the Falcons covet

I am not famillar with Bartell but know and like all the other guys listed.

Bly is better then Foxworth ! That is why Denver kept Bly and cut Foxworth last season. However, Foxworth does have more size. Denver's lack of pass rush probably made Bly look worse then he is.

I would love to bring in Sean Jones at SS and LJ Smith at TE. Brown would be a nice upgrade at SS too. He would fill the veteran leadership roled vacated by Milloy and Brooking. Plus he can still cover pretty well. Seems he lead the NFL in interception a few years back.

Another FA I would love is to go after is Vilma. He would be a solid upgrqade over both Brooking and Boley at OLB. However, he would be more expensive then any of the FA mentioned.

If we sign a solid TE and SS in FA then our needs in the draft would have really shrunk to CB, OLB, DT, and backups at OL and DE.

Correct me if I'm wrong but New England did not make much of a splash in FA. Usually were pretty quiet and picked up the guys that filled roles for a good market value. Hope TD continues this and is wise with the tallent and contracts he gets.

Yeah, NE goes with the unheralded FA or the over the hill FA and makes it work. That said, NE also drafts very well so that they have young, athletic guys to surround the aging vets. I also think that the 3-4 defense allows for more age at LB than the 4-3 where your LBs really have to all attack to be effective.

Anyone know this guy:

Falcons to meet D-line candidate

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Mike Montgomery, an unrestricted free agent defensive end formerly of the Green Bay Packers, will visit the Falcons today, according to his agent, Brian Overstreet.

Montgomery, a former sixth-round pick from Texas A&M, has played in 46 games with eight starts, all coming in 2008.

Montgomery played 523 snaps last season and was second on the defensive line in tackles per snap.

Montgomery had 59 tackles, including 43 solo, according to NFL.com

He has also played some defensive tackle. The Falcons have an open spot in their defensive line rotation with Chauncey Davis testing the free agent market.

“He’s a big kid,” Overstreet said. “He’s nimble and agile. He can play inside and outside. We’ll come and see if it’s a good fit.”

http://www.nfl.com/players/mikemontgomery/...ts?id=MON607346

Montgomery looks like a capable DE to be in the rotation. He is still just 25. I read where he was 2nd on the Packers' D-Line for tackles per snap. Its good to get guys who are active and have a nose for being around the ball.

I also saw where Vonnie Holliday was released by the Dolphins. He was a team captain last year in Miam. At 33 he may be able to fill a leadership void flt by the loss of several veterans. He did have 3.5 sacks last year.

Maybe Dolphan can shed some light on whether he has anything left in the tank.

Heard on ESPN radio saying that the vast number of FA signing that will have the biggest impact will not make and splash in the sports page. Guys like Montgomery will fill the void. You gotta think that they are looking for some blue collar guys to play for Smith and Sugar Bear Hamilton.

Also it's like the NBA FA where there are different levels of guys and after the big splash then the next level gets the attention. I think that is where TD will make his moves.

• Moderators
Heard on ESPN radio saying that the vast number of FA signing that will have the biggest impact will not make and splash in the sports page. Guys like Montgomery will fill the void. You gotta think that they are looking for some blue collar guys to play for Smith and Sugar Bear Hamilton.

Also it's like the NBA FA where there are different levels of guys and after the big splash then the next level gets the attention. I think that is where TD will make his moves.

That was the Patriot tradition.

Same exact player as Chauncey Davis.

I heard that he and Barbeneaux were really tight and wanted to stay together. That kind of thing is great for the chemestry. Also heard them sayingthat he played linebacker until his sr. yr of college and then went to the DL. Point being that he's still learning and his body is maturing into the DL position.

Falcons talking to ex-Eagles tight end

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Falcons will entertain a pair of free agents Thursday, tight end L.J. Smith and center Brett Romberg.

Both are unrestricted free agents. Smith played last season with the Philadelphia Eagles and Romberg with the St. Louis Rams.

Smith, who is 6-feet-3 and 258 pounds, played six seasons with the Eagles and caught 231 passes, 18 for touchdowns. A second-round draft choice by the Eagles in 2003, Smith played part-time his first two seasons. He became a starter in 2005 and has 170 catches in four seasons as a starter. In 2005-06, he caught 111 passes in 32 games, 31 as a starter. In 2007-08, he has 59 catches in 23 games, 21 as a starter. The Falcons are in the market for a pass-catching tight end. They recently re-signed Justin Peele, but he is more of a blocking tight end.

Romberg (6-2, 298) likely would be a backup to starter Todd McClure.

I'm surprised to see that we're going to be bringing in a potential back up for McClure. I thought for sure with the way Dimitroff has conducted his offseasons so far that he'd be sure to pick one up in this draft where the center class ie arguably the strongest class in the draft. I really wanted us to draft Eric Wood from Louisville some time during the third round, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Falcons talking to ex-Eagles tight end

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Falcons will entertain a pair of free agents Thursday, tight end L.J. Smith and center Brett Romberg.

Both are unrestricted free agents. Smith played last season with the Philadelphia Eagles and Romberg with the St. Louis Rams.

Smith, who is 6-feet-3 and 258 pounds, played six seasons with the Eagles and caught 231 passes, 18 for touchdowns. A second-round draft choice by the Eagles in 2003, Smith played part-time his first two seasons. He became a starter in 2005 and has 170 catches in four seasons as a starter. In 2005-06, he caught 111 passes in 32 games, 31 as a starter. In 2007-08, he has 59 catches in 23 games, 21 as a starter. The Falcons are in the market for a pass-catching tight end. They recently re-signed Justin Peele, but he is more of a blocking tight end.

Romberg (6-2, 298) likely would be a backup to starter Todd McClure.

Glad to hear this ! This would basically clear up every spot of need on offensive with the exception of a back up tackle. I hope they sign both guys mentioned.

With Boley, Brooking, Milloy, Foxworth, and Jackson all gone that is a ton of snaps to replace at LOLB, ROLB, SS, CB, & DT.

I hope we can sign LJ Smith as a 3rd down target for Matt Ryan and burn the first 5 picks in the draft on defense. You know Matt Ryan is a born Eagles fan and is probably very familliar with LJ Smith's game.

I too, hope Mike Peterson is given a shot in FA for OLB help. To have a 2nd year MLB with two roolkie OLBs would be tough to over come.

I'm surprised to see that we're going to be bringing in a potential back up for McClure. I thought for sure with the way Dimitroff has conducted his offseasons so far that he'd be sure to pick one up in this draft where the center class ie arguably the strongest class in the draft. I really wanted us to draft Eric Wood from Louisville some time during the third round, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I guess you have to worry about replacing all the starters on defense before you worry about backups on the O-Line.

Brooking, Boley, Foxworth, Milloy, and Jackson are a ton of snaps to replace at 5 different positions on the defense.

Maybe they are counting on Trey Lewis to come back fomr injury and fill the DT hole ? That would be nice if it actually happend.

It was our defense that lost the game in the playoffs. That is where the roster turn over is. The offense is pretty much standing pat unless someone signs Clabo or Dahl. It is doubtful we lose either of them since it to would cost the team that signs them a 2nd round pick.

I guess you have to worry about replacing all the starters on defense before you worry about backups on the O-Line.

Brooking, Boley, Foxworth, Milloy, and Jackson are a ton of snaps to replace at 5 different positions on the defense.

Maybe they are counting on Trey Lewis to come back fomr injury and fill the DT hole ? That would be nice if it actually happend.

It was our defense that lost the game in the playoffs. That is where the roster turn over is. The offense is pretty much standing pat unless someone signs Clabo or Dahl. It is doubtful we lose either of them since it to would cost the team that signs them a 2nd round pick.

Brooking will be replaced by Stephen Nicholas, Boley was already replaced by Coy Wire, Foxworth wasn't worth the contract he signed, Milloy will be replaced by Coleman, and Jackson will be replaced by Trey Lewis...

Not to mention, FA is only 1-2 weeks old... Give TD time! He'll get it done...