• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcon's FA

DrReality

Brooking will be replaced by Stephen Nicholas, Boley was already replaced by Coy Wire, Foxworth wasn't worth the contract he signed, Milloy will be replaced by Coleman, and Jackson will be replaced by Trey Lewis...

Not to mention, FA is only 1-2 weeks old... Give TD time! He'll get it done...

That is pretty optimistic thinking. I hate to put all my eggs in that basket. We had a poor defense last year. I would hate to count on our backups to better the team defense.

1. Coleman replaces Milloy at SS ? Well Coleman was out starting FS last year........so who replaces Coleman at FS ?

2. Wire is a backup. He is good against the run but poor in coverage. Basically the opposite of Boley. Neither of them are complete 3 down LBs. However, having them as a tandem was not all bad.

3. Nichols ? Counting on Nichols to be a starter ? Its one thing to have him compete. Its another to put all your eggs in his basket.

4. I agree on replacing Jackson with Trey Lewis. However, Lewis is coming back from tearing his MCL and ACL at 320 pounds.

5. Foxworth was not worth his salary. However he was our best CB by far. He has good ball skills. That is a serious hole.

I bet we go OLB in the 1st and SS in the 2nd unless we sign Peterson at OLB or Jones, Brown, or Phillips at SS.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good assessment and I agree. There is still time and TD is shrewd enough to have a plan to get the needed guys off FA who might not be stars but are blue collar guys and then draft the young talent.

There are more linebackers in the draft than there are SS. Could be tricky.

That is pretty optimistic thinking. I hate to put all my eggs in that basket. We had a poor defense last year. I would hate to count on our backups to better the team defense.

1. Coleman replaces Milloy at SS ? Well Coleman was out starting FS last year........so who replaces Coleman at FS ?

2. Wire is a backup. He is good against the run but poor in coverage. Basically the opposite of Boley. Neither of them are complete 3 down LBs. However, having them as a tandem was not all bad.

3. Nichols ? Counting on Nichols to be a starter ? Its one thing to have him compete. Its another to put all your eggs in his basket.

4. I agree on replacing Jackson with Trey Lewis. However, Lewis is coming back from tearing his MCL and ACL at 320 pounds.

5. Foxworth was not worth his salary. However he was our best CB by far. He has good ball skills. That is a serious hole.

I bet we go OLB in the 1st and SS in the 2nd unless we sign Peterson at OLB or Jones, Brown, or Phillips at SS.

1. I say Coleman at SS and Decoud at FS... That could very well change but that's my opinion...

2. Boley was great before we changed coaching staffs... He just didn't fit the scheme... But his snaps can be easily replaced...

3. I do see Nicholas being a starter this year... Call it what you want, but that's what it is...

4. Quit being negative...

5. To call Foxworth our best corner by far? I wouldn't say that... Houston and Jackson were almost right there with him (all Houston has to work on is turning his head and Jackson really was coming on strong in the end)...

I agree with going OLB first and would love for Jones to come back home...

• Moderators
So would you want LJ Smith or Tony Scheffler (sp?)? Word is he's trade bait...

LJ is just the cost of his salary. Scheffler is probably the cost of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. For this year, I go LJ and use those picks on the defensive side of the ball.

USC has a couple really nice looking LB that can play. Would love for us to get someone like that to play with Lofton. That would set our LB crew for yerars.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_arc..._(early_march)/

The rest of the league (and reporters) have taken notice of them too. Matthews was viewed as a 2nd rounder 2 months ago. In recent mock drafts all of there LBs are gone by the time we pick.

Manoluga is the ILB (we need OLBs)

Cushing is the work out wonder who's production does not match his physical attributes

Matthews is the fast riser of the bunch who would be a 3rd generation NFL player.

If all are gone when we pick, doo we reach for Sintim out of Virginia at OLB ? Or go grab a SS ? Or possibly Smith out of Wake Forest to put a legitimate playamker at CB ?

LJ is just the cost of his salary. Scheffler is probably the cost of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. For this year, I go LJ and use those picks on the defensive side of the ball.

Can't go wrong with that ! Especially the way TD picks 'em. I would not trtade any picks unless it was trading down for more pics.

LJ Smith should have at least 2 more prime years left. Ryan may make him look really good with his on time passing.

OLB, CB, SS, and DT with the first 4 picks if we sign Smith/TE in FA. If we lose out on LJ Smith there should be good TE's in rounds 2-4.

I would love to sign Peterson at OLB and sign one of the solid FA SS available so that we would not HAVE to draft on "need" so much to fill starting positions.

Free-agent linebacker Mike Peterson, a 10-year veteran, visited the Falcons on Monday.

Peterson was outside linebacker with Indianapolis but played middle linebacker for Jacksonville for six seasons, where he played under Falcons coach Mike Smith.

Peterson, 32, led the Jaguars in tackles three times. He has 19.5 sacks and 15 interceptions in his career. He visited Buffalo on Friday.

Davis’ contract

The Falcons’ biggest offseason move was re-signing defensive end Chauncey Davis to a four-year deal. In the details of his contract, Davis received a $3 million signing bonus and has base salaries of $2 million in 2009, $2.6 million in 2010, $3 million in 2011 and $3.4 million in 2012.

The $3 million signing bonus accounts for $750,000 on the salary cap each year of the contract, giving it salary cap numbers of $2.75 million, $3.35 million, $3.75 million and $4.15 million.

Romberg signs

The Falcons signed free-agent center Brett Romberg on Monday.

Romberg (6 feet 2, 298 pounds) was with the Jaguars for three years but didn’t play in any games. He played in 33 games, including 18 starts, for the Rams the past three seasons.

He started six games in 2008.

Draft order

The Falcons will have seven selections in the first six rounds of April’s NFL draft. The league released the draft order Monday.

Compensatory picks, awarded for teams that lose free agents the previous season, are made following the third round and will be announced at a later date to finalize the order.

The Falcons did not lose any significant players to free agency last season.

The Falcons’ picks for the April 25-26 draft are as follows:

> Round 1: 24th of round, 24th overall

> Round 2: 23rd of round, 55th overall

> Round 3: 26th of round, 90th overall

> Round 4: 25th of round

> Round 5: 7th (from Oakland) and 24th of round

> Round 6: 23rd of round

> Round 7: none (traded to Denver)

Peterson is signed to a 2 year deal !

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...age_tab_newstab

Great news ! Falcons needed a LB with some veteran leadership and starting expierence.

Now if we can get LJ Smith to "bandaide" the TE position for a year or two it would be a good FA period for the team. However, since the team moved so fast on Peterson and already signed the C who visited on the same day as LJ Smith, it makes you wonder about how serious TD is about Smith or how far apart they are on money.

TD's expertise is suppose to be at scouting DB's and specifically the S position. Sure he just took DeCoude last year in the 3rd but I would not be suprised to see a S be our 1st pick now if that Delmas kid drops to us. (since we just signed Peterson as OLB)

Personally I'd love to take that little CB out of Wake Forest (Smith) with MAD ball skills.

Edited by coachx

Now hopefully get Sean Jones and maybe Leigh Bodden, and then build the lines in the draft... Is John Henderson out there?

I believe S. Jones already signed with the Eagles.

Phillips resigned with he Bucs.

Dawkins signed with the Broncos.

I think Brown is still available from the Bears as SS.

TD's resume had him being a scout for DB's earlier in his career. I think he feels comfortable in the draft and in his expertise to solve fill that position in one of the first 2 rounds.

Below is a pretty good aticle on Peterson and the new OL that just went up on AJC:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/...market-settles/

Atlanta Falcons with D. Orlando Ledbetter

Falcons make some moves after market settles

10:18 am March 10, 2009, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Mike Peterson and Brett Romberg were added to the Birds’ nest.

The Falcons have been slow and extremely deliberate in free agency. By contrast, last season they were swift and decisive in adding running back Michael Turner, safety Erik Coleman and the rest of the group.

Peterson has played weakside and middle linebacker. He comes “cross-trained.” He was also a former captain in Jacksonville before falling out with head coach Jack Del Rio last season.

But Falcons coach Mike Smith never had any issues with Peterson. Word coming out of Flowery Branch is that their bond was still pretty tight and that allowed the deal to get done so quickly.

Despite his falling out with Del Rio, Peterson still led the Jags in tackles with 84. He missed six starts after Del Rio misinterpreted Peterson’s attempt to fire up the team as a selfish celebratory move. It was also the last year of Peterson’s contract and well, he thought he should have been extended.

But all that is in his rear view mirror.

Peterson steps into a unit that needs some direction and playmakers. Peterson and Stephen Nicholas can go at it for the weakside spot. If Peterson wins, then Nicholas could slide over to strongside and possibly play on passing downs if he can’t beat our Coy Wire. Wire started on running downs late last season for Boley.

Now, if something happens to Curtis Lofton, Peterson can also play the middle.

Romberg gets reunited with offensive line coach Paul Boudreau and gives the Falcons another solid interior lineman behind center Todd McClure and guards Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl.

Romberg, 29, has started 18 games over the last three seasons. He started his career in Jacksonville after playing at Miami.

Do you like the new Falcons?

Edited by coachx

I believe S. Jones already signed with the Eagles.

Phillips resigned with he Bucs.

Dawkins signed with the Broncos.

I think Brown is still available from the Bears as SS.

TD's resume had him being a scout for DB's earlier in his career. I think he feels comfortable in the draft and in his expertise to solve fill that position in one of the first 2 rounds.

Below is a pretty good aticle on Peterson and the new OL that just went up on AJC:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/...market-settles/

Atlanta Falcons with D. Orlando Ledbetter

Falcons make some moves after market settles

10:18 am March 10, 2009, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Mike Peterson and Brett Romberg were added to the Birds’ nest.

The Falcons have been slow and extremely deliberate in free agency. By contrast, last season they were swift and decisive in adding running back Michael Turner, safety Erik Coleman and the rest of the group.

Peterson has played weakside and middle linebacker. He comes “cross-trained.” He was also a former captain in Jacksonville before falling out with head coach Jack Del Rio last season.

But Falcons coach Mike Smith never had any issues with Peterson. Word coming out of Flowery Branch is that their bond was still pretty tight and that allowed the deal to get done so quickly.

Despite his falling out with Del Rio, Peterson still led the Jags in tackles with 84. He missed six starts after Del Rio misinterpreted Peterson’s attempt to fire up the team as a selfish celebratory move. It was also the last year of Peterson’s contract and well, he thought he should have been extended.

But all that is in his rear view mirror.

Peterson steps into a unit that needs some direction and playmakers. Peterson and Stephen Nicholas can go at it for the weakside spot. If Peterson wins, then Nicholas could slide over to strongside and possibly play on passing downs if he can’t beat our Coy Wire. Wire started on running downs late last season for Boley.

Now, if something happens to Curtis Lofton, Peterson can also play the middle.

Romberg gets reunited with offensive line coach Paul Boudreau and gives the Falcons another solid interior lineman behind center Todd McClure and guards Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl.

Romberg, 29, has started 18 games over the last three seasons. He started his career in Jacksonville after playing at Miami.

Do you like the new Falcons?

:computer8: over Jones being an Iggle...

As far as Peterson and Romberg... Both will be welcome additions... I think Peterson will be better at stuffing the run as opposed to coverage... I still like Nicholas because of his speed and athleticism, so they should counteract each other pretty well...