• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good time for Hawks fans

cam1218

• Premium Member

I lurk around here daily and don’t really ever post—but this homestand made me want to say a couple things. What a great time to be a Hawks fan! No matter how we feel about Marvin starting or not, and lets not make this thread about that, it’s just a fun time to watch and support our team. I’m sure most of us have been Hawks fans for a long time, some a lot longer than most, I’m only 23 so I started watching them in the mid 90’s when they had the likes of Steve Smith, Mutombo, Mookie, etc., and I lost a little interest when they traded my favorite player (Smith) for Isaiah Rider. However, the Hawks are my team so I still watched them but it really hasn’t been fun since then. Since that trade there has been a lot of losing. A whole lot of losing..

We got a little glimpse of what this team could possibly be in the series with Boston last year. That was followed by an offseason that most of us found disappointing and that really took the luster of taking the Celtics to 7 games out of our mind. I still thought this team would improve and compete for a spot somewhere between 4-6. And today, here we are. This season has been full of high and lows. That always happens though—the NBA season is a long one. Most of my friends are fans of teams that are always good (even though they live in Atlanta too). They all seem to root for the likes of the Lakers and the Spurs. I used to always get heckled, “Hawks?” , “Are you stupid or something”, “Do the Hawks even still exist”. Now I guess I can’t come back and tell them yeah we do, and your Lakers and Spurs have nothing on the Hawks, but I can demand respect for my team now.

I really don’t know what will happen the rest of the season. Of course I dream of Bibby getting hot during the playoffs and us making a run similar to the Rays last year in the MLB playoffs. Then sometimes reality sets in and I remember us getting blown out at Philips by the Clippers. Either way I’m proud of our team. They need to keep improving every year and hopefully get Flip a new contract in the offseason. Time will tell what this year will bring us but I know it will be fun. One thing I’m sure we all agree on though, in the words of Ryan Cameron trying to get the crowd at Philips to actually make some noise… “Lets go Hawks!”

• Moderators

I agree. To me this is kind of what it felt like at the beginning of the Smitty-Mookie era only a little better. Better because we have been worse recently and I think our players have more potential than those teams. Still, the keys are the same: defense, teamwork, and more so for this team playing physical.

I agree macdaddy and plus our core is younger than Mookie and Smitty. Now its time for the fans that live in atlanta to get out and fill up phillips and root for our team