• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luring FA

DrReality

One of the things that Boston, LA, SA, etc have going for them is that they attract FA who want to be on a winning team. The fact that we got Mo and Flip indicate progress, but have we taken the next step to attract the better guys?

If so . . . . . who do we go after?

Edited by DrReality

One of the things that Boston, LA, SA, etc have going for them is that they attract FA who want to be on a winning team. The fact that we got Mo and Flip indicate progress, but have we taken the next step to attract the better guys?

I think we have taken the next step in luring FA's. We're on the cusp of securing home court in the playoffs, have improved every year, and are extremely young. Couple that with a big city, and the potential to have a big market, and I think Atlanta would be a nice fit for many FA's. The opportunity to win now, and compete for an Eastern Conference Championship next year has to be enticing to vet's around the league.

Don't think we have yet. I think you need more than just a decent record. Reputation really helps. Teams that have been good for a long time and have what you might call a "winning system" seem to be good spots. Teams with a star generally attract those types of guys too. The other thing is that those guys will often go to teams they have played for in the past.

I think we need to either be as good as we are for a decent stretch of time or get really good.

The Hawks need to get to where they're getting players like Joe Smith or pretty soon Jerry Stackhouse on the back ends of their career that can come in and contribute off the bench.

I don't see them being there this offseason unless they do some mad damage in the playoffs.

I think we have reached the point where quality FA's should want to come here.

Question is, is the ASG willing to pay for them?

I am not sure if its a "willingness" question or an "ability" question. The ASG is broke. In the end, the result is the same, but if its an ability question that can be fixed, at least in theory.

Nonetheless, I think the Hawks can attract some FAs. The team does need to gain a little reputation and Woodson needs to show that he can get along with more than just his favorites. I would love to know what Anthony Johnson has to say about Woodson behind closed doors.

The team does need to gain a little reputation and Woodson needs to show that he can get along with more than just his favorites. I would love to know what Anthony Johnson has to say about Woodson behind closed doors.

That is absolute crap. Woodson has managed what was an AAU team to the GM given crop of better than average to good talents. Woody really isn't the problem.

FA's will come when management shows the committment to winning by retaining core and making strong offers. The Hawks can show this by signing their own first. Sign Flip, Bibs, Chillz, Zaza and Marvin.

Next is a quality guard (perhaps Sessions) and the big (maybe Shaq) to go along with an astute BPA draft this summer.

Atlanta is already a major market. Atl has 5.4 mil at 8th and ! mil less tha the number 4 city. So we are a major market.

The cost of living and the social aspects of the young Athlete, Atlanta is an attractive option.

Management is the issue.

That is absolute crap. Woodson has managed what was an AAU team to the GM given crop of better than average to good talents. Woody really isn't the problem.

FA's will come when management shows the committment to winning by retaining core and making strong offers. The Hawks can show this by signing their own first. Sign Flip, Bibs, Chillz, Zaza and Marvin.

Next is a quality guard (perhaps Sessions) and the big (maybe Shaq) to go along with an astute BPA draft this summer.

Atlanta is already a major market. Atl has 5.4 mil at 8th and ! mil less tha the number 4 city. So we are a major market.

The cost of living and the social aspects of the young Athlete, Atlanta is an attractive option.

Management is the issue.

LOL, typical Woodson support stuff. History clearly shows Woodson favored players over others. AJ is one of those guys that only got playing time due to injury. Of course when AJ played he produced.

Coaching does affect who signs with a team. Coaches get reputations just as players do. I don't have any idea of what Woodson's reputation is amongst players; hence, the statement re: what AJ says about Woody behind closed doors.

Coaches get reputations just as players do. I don't have any idea of what Woodson's reputation is amongst players; hence, the statement re: what AJ says about Woody behind closed doors.

Since I did stay at a Holiday Inn last weekend I thought I'd shed a little light on this. It is 99.9% fact that Woody is considered a "players coach" amongst players (who else would it be amongst?). Reason being is Woody has absolutly no control or structure to anything he does. A veteran player can basically come here, shoot as many 3's as he likes or substitute himself as he see's fit. Younger guys need not apply.

So JJ, Bibby, Horf, Smoove, Marvin and Chillz was an AAU team? Hmm, so Flip and Mo are the difference in an AAU team and an NBA playoff team? LOL, alrighty then.

I am not sure if its a "willingness" question or an "ability" question. The ASG is broke. In the end, the result is the same, but if its an ability question that can be fixed, at least in theory.

Nonetheless, I think the Hawks can attract some FAs. The team does need to gain a little reputation and Woodson needs to show that he can get along with more than just his favorites. I would love to know what Anthony Johnson has to say about Woodson behind closed doors.

Bingo! I'm with you. I still think vets in this league still see us as being soft and push overs. Look at how Boston talked trashed about us in our first national TV game this year. We still and will not get any respect until we can show we can win big games on a regular.

Woody is still a big question to me. I really don't think players respect his coaching.