• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NFL Draft - Who do you want to draft?

mattlanta

"Gronkowski's blocking prowess is the byproduct of his incredible strength. The former prep quarterback registered the second-highest strength index on the team in spring 2008 testing. He also boasts a career-best squat of 635 pounds, the second-best figure by a Maryland tight end, topped only by the 685-pound lift from Vernon Davis (49ers). In each of his last four offseasons, the tight end received Iron Terp honors, a recognition for his outstanding performances in the training room.

Having received his master's in Marketing after just three years at Maryland, Gronkowski comes from a sports-oriented family.

As a senior, Gronkowski started 12 games. After catching just 11 passes in his first three seasons, the Terrapin Council member hauled in a career-high 29 passes, good for 287 yards (9.9 avg) and three touchdowns. He also continued his excellence as a blocker, as he registered 66 knockdowns, coming up with 11 touchdown-resulting blocks. "

Interesting little tid-bits to show what this kid is made of, in the weight room, in the class room, and on the field. He got a bachellors and a masters in just 3 years while playing football.

He averaged 5.5 knock down blocks per game ! That is incredible for a TE ! Then throw in 11 touchdown - resulting blocks and it shows how he could sneak into the endzone for an open touchdown since the defense is so used to him blocking people down to the ground and being run behind in the red-zone.

That seems to be the definition of Patriot / Dimitroff kind of guy.

Well that does seem to be a good prospect. Only red flag is lack of production in the passing game his first three seasons. What is the projected round on him? 3-4?

I guess him and the other more receiving TEs is why Pettigrew isn't that much of an interest for me. It seems like a simlar guy could be had in a later round and that first round pick could be used on one of the OLBs or linemen (O or D).

Re: your CB argument. I do agree with you to a point. My feeling is that even though the team had 33 sacks, they didn't produce a consistant rush, esp when Abe was out. Any CB is going to get torched when there is no pressure. That Denver game is a great example of how there wasn't any push to get to Cutler for the majority of the game. The second NO game Brees had all day and a deep pocket to set up and throw. The playoff game was simply awful. Warner could have played back there until he was in his 60s for all the times the Falcons developed pressure. Hence, my belief that DL or OLB is more important for developing a better defense.

That all said, if the draft grading says CB X is better than all other possibilities, then you go with the CB. Same can be said for Pettigrew. If he is grading out that much better than all others, then go for him. The only possitions that the Falcons can't have that rubric on are: QB, RB, and WR.

This season should be about getting starters for Coach Smith's system. 2010's draft should be about building depth and competition for all spots on the roster. Well all that in a perfect world.

From the AJC:

"Another local player is apparently on the Falcons radar screen. Oklahoma guard George “Duke” Robinson, of Washington High, is set to visit the Falcons on Thursday, according to his folks at Impact Sports. Robinson doesn’t figure to be the pick at No. 24, with the Falcons having more pressing needs on defense."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1263331

This dude is the #1 rated Guard in the draft. A 330 lb monster who is built for a power running game. He and Blaylock would be about 650 to 660 pounds of mean power run blocking for Turner to get to the 2nd level where he runs people over.

I seriously doubt he is the guy they are looking at for #24.

A trade down would be great. I would prefer a 330 lb mauler like this to a 300 pound center.

I wonder what TD has cookin ?

Robinson's question marks are character and work ethic. Those are 2 major quirks with this Falcons regime. That is why he is being called in for a visit. He could slip to us in the 2nd round and be the best talent on the board b/c of his character and work eithic concerns. Maybe he interviews well with us and is a possibility.

I don't see us really trading down. If Dimitroff is really high on someone, he won't be afraid to reach for him... He's shown us that he will reach for players (see: Sam Baker, Chevis Jackson, Harry Douglas) instead of risking that player not being there later on if he does trade down.

Duke Robinson has always been a possibility in my mind because of his work ethic and skillset that matches Boudreau's system, but I didn't really see that part of the offensive line as a major need seeing that we have Harvey Dahl, who was arguably the biggest [pleasant] surprise on our offensive line, and Clabo, who can shift to the RG to provide some quality depth seeing that he's naturally a guard anyways. Most likely we are just testing all of the possibilities and are getting looks at the most players that we can.

So far, our offensive line looks like this right now (not including the players that I think will be sent to the Practice Squad -- for example, Ben Wilkerson):

LT: Baker - Svitek - Ojinnaka - Gandy

LG: Blalock - ?

C: McClure - Romberg

RG: Dahl - ?

RT: Clabo - Foster

So as you can see, I guess we do need some OG depth... I still wouldn't draft one in the first day of the draft. Solid linemen are easier to find later in the drafts than any other position IMO.

Gronkowski. Love the name. Sounds like he should play for the Packers. Impressive academics history. Must be pretty bright.

And I think you make a compelling case for the O line getting better. One of the critical things is for them to stay together and learn to play together. They have that going for them.

Here are my thoughts on the Falcons drafting by slots instead of players based on what I have read about the strenth of talent and where I think you can find diamonds in the rough and where you need to draft high to get talent.

Round 1 Cornerback (Butler)

Round 2 Defensive Tackle (Miloa)

Round 3 Safety (BPA)

Round 4 Outside Linebacker (Follet, Harris)

Round 5 Tight End (Gronkowski or similar)

Round 5 Offensive Lineman (Diamond in the rough/heart player)

Round 6 BPA (Best Player available regardless of positon)

Hawk88

Let me just say that I am a huge fan of Richard Quinn - TE from NC. I think if we can't get Pettigrew in the first, we should target him in the later rounds. He is a Dimitroff type of player -- meaning a hard worker, coachable player, and low-profile off the field -- and also fits what Mularkey looks for in tight ends (blockers first, receivers second). He's still raw but can develop into a very solid TE in the league.

I don't know if we will pick a TE that high in the draft, although I wouldn't mind because he is a good blocker, but a good receiver as well. I think we should try to trade down with NE for their two 2nd round picks. We could get a good safety like Loius Delmas or William Moore and still get Brace from Boston College. However, if we could get a talented CB with our first round pick, then you should make that pick. Mel Kiper has Malcolm Jenkins falling to the 25 spot. If we have a chance to draft him, then we should.

I don't know if we will pick a TE that high in the draft, although I wouldn't mind because he is a good blocker, but a good receiver as well. I think we should try to trade down with NE for their two 2nd round picks. We could get a good safety like Loius Delmas or William Moore and still get Brace from Boston College. However, if we could get a talented CB with our first round pick, then you should make that pick. Mel Kiper has Malcolm Jenkins falling to the 25 spot. If we have a chance to draft him, then we should.

I don't like Malcolm Jenkins for our defense. He's slow and I think he's more of a FS than anything else. Why would we waste our first rounder for a position that we don't even need? Louis Delmas will not last past the second round IMO. He's too good of a player and a person for teams to pass up on -- the kid's going to be special. I don't see us trading down. It will rarely happen with Dimitroff IMO -- he will trade up, but not often down.

I don't see us really trading down. If Dimitroff is really high on someone, he won't be afraid to reach for him... He's shown us that he will reach for players (see: Sam Baker, Chevis Jackson, Harry Douglas) instead of risking that player not being there later on if he does trade down.

Duke Robinson has always been a possibility in my mind because of his work ethic and skillset that matches Boudreau's system, but I didn't really see that part of the offensive line as a major need seeing that we have Harvey Dahl, who was arguably the biggest [pleasant] surprise on our offensive line, and Clabo, who can shift to the RG to provide some quality depth seeing that he's naturally a guard anyways. Most likely we are just testing all of the possibilities and are getting looks at the most players that we can.

So far, our offensive line looks like this right now (not including the players that I think will be sent to the Practice Squad -- for example, Ben Wilkerson):

LT: Baker - Svitek - Ojinnaka - Gandy

LG: Blalock - ?

C: McClure - Romberg

RG: Dahl - ?

RT: Clabo - Foster

So as you can see, I guess we do need some OG depth... I still wouldn't draft one in the first day of the draft. Solid linemen are easier to find later in the drafts than any other position IMO.

I actually think the weak link(s) on the O-line are at RT and Center. Clabo is an OK Tackle but would be a monster at guard. Dahl is a warrior, but he really isn't a consistent pile mover. Get a RT that can provide some push, move Clabo inside, and then you have a right side of the line that can equal the production of the left side.

As for Center, I am finished w/ Mr. Tip the Snap, Todd McClure. He doesn't get a good push up the middle and isn't that good at pulling. He is good at recognizing the defense, but that is about it.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_arc...draft_for_need/

"Forget the "best available player" mantra. The Falcons are one of the few teams that flatly state they will draft for need. "The philosophy of [GM Thomas Dimitroff] is to always be needs based," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "You're not going to see us taking the best available athlete. We've identified needs to be addressed." Atlanta lost five starters on defense to free agency."

• Premium Member

I'm surprised that Cushing and Sintim are not getting much talk?

We need a LB.

A pass rush is one thing but it's totally meaningless if we can't stop guys coming up the middle on the run or those short out passes... Before you get burnt deep, you get burnt short to put your CBs on their toes..

I'm surprised that Cushing and Sintim are not getting much talk?

We need a LB.

A pass rush is one thing but it's totally meaningless if we can't stop guys coming up the middle on the run or those short out passes... Before you get burnt deep, you get burnt short to put your CBs on their toes..

I don't think people are expecting Cushing to be there at #24. If he or Matthews fall to #24 they could very well be the pick.

I think people think #24 may be too high for Sintim. Sintim is almost 260 pounds. He is a bit heavy and slow for a 4-3 as a OLB. Virginia runs a 3-4. I think he is drafted by a 3-4 defense.