• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Falcons may trade for Tony Gonzalez

coachx

The guy runnning the Chiefs is an X-Patriots guy just like TD is. So they have a relationship.

I wonder if Atlanta is in talks with a trade down with the Browns who have multiple second round picks ? Cleveland has #36 and #50 in the 2nd round. Atlanta's 2nd round pick is at #55.

If Atlanta trades #24 for #36 and #50 then I could see then flipping #55 for Gonzales.

At #36 and #50 they should be able to get Brace at DT and either Chung or Moore at SS.

The guy runnning the Chiefs is an X-Patriots guy just like TD is. So they have a relationship.

I wonder if Atlanta is in talks with a trade down with the Browns who have multiple second round picks ? Cleveland has #36 and #50 in the 2nd round. Atlanta's 2nd round pick is at #55.

If Atlanta trades #24 for #36 and #50 then I could see then flipping #55 for Gonzales.

At #36 and #50 they should be able to get Brace at DT and either Chung or Moore at SS.

That sounds very plausible and something I'd like to see them do.

The other thing about brining in Gonzalez it that this creates a winning atmosphere in that he is being brought in to win now. If this can sway other free agents who don't want max money but want to win a championship then it could be a big plus. Since I would think he has only 2-3 good years left I would hope to maybe give up a 3rd rounder for him.

Hawk88

The Giants also have two 2nd round picks and a 1st at #29. They believe they are a #1 WR away from another Super Bowl. Their 2nd rounders are not as high as the Browns. The Giants have picks 46 and 60 which could be a possibility. Those sound a bit low for pick #24.

What I'm thinking is that maybe they give up pick #29 and (one of picks #46 or #60) to move up to #24 if a reciever falls to #24 they are in love with like Percy Harvin or that big 6'4'' WR from Rutghers who may not still be around for their original #29 pick.

At pick #29 we could probably still get one of the main guys we want and having pick #60 would take the sting away from trading pick #55 for Gonzo.

A lot people are assuming the Browns trade Braylon Edwards to NY for pick #29 since he wants a big contract next year that is probably too much for Cleveland to pay. That could hurt our chances of trading down since it would involve both teams with multiple 2nd round picks.

We will know for sure in 11 days how it all shakes out. I can't wait. NFL Draft Day is better then Super Bowl Sunday to me...................that is unless the Falcons are playing in the Super Bowl.

Edited by coachx

Report: Chiefs Reject Falcons Offer for Gonzalez

"Frank Boal of FOX4 in Kansas City is reporting the Kansas City Chiefs have rejected a trade offer from the Atlanta Falcons for tight end Tony Gonzalez. The offer was for the Falcons' 55th overall pick according to Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

*Boal rarely breaks news about the Chiefs and the rest of the mainstream media hasn't picked up on this yet so we're certainly going to continue following this story until we can get another confirmation.

Rumors have been swirling that the Chiefs were nearing a deal with someone to move Gonzalez. The basis of some of these rumors? Gonzalez cleaning out his locker.

We'll never know if the future Hall of Fame tight end was simply cleaning out his locker before the start of the Chiefs first veteran mandatory mini-camp on April 17th or if he removed his belongings with the intention that he wouldn't be back.

If the GM Scott Pioli values Gonzalez more than the Falcons' second round pick then it's unlikely any team in the NFL will match his price. The overlord of the previous Chiefs regime, Carl Peterson, reportedly pushed his asking price from a third to a second and fifth round pick at the trading deadline last year.

We can debate about Gonzalez's worth all day long but he's worth whatever any team will offer him. If the offers that came in last season (Eagles' 3rd, Giants' 6th) are any indication, Tony Gonzalez will not be traded by the Chiefs this season."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/4/13 ... -offer-for

If this is true...........I can't believe it. One would think a 2nd round pick would be more then enough for a 33 year old player............no matter how good they are right now. I am guessing the Chiefs know we have two 5th round picks and are demanding one to be included.

Oh well, this should be no sweat off our backs...........I just like that TD has his ear to the ground and id keeping all options open to better the club.

Report: Chiefs Reject Falcons Offer for Gonzalez

"Frank Boal of FOX4 in Kansas City is reporting the Kansas City Chiefs have rejected a trade offer from the Atlanta Falcons for tight end Tony Gonzalez. The offer was for the Falcons' 55th overall pick according to Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

*Boal rarely breaks news about the Chiefs and the rest of the mainstream media hasn't picked up on this yet so we're certainly going to continue following this story until we can get another confirmation.

Rumors have been swirling that the Chiefs were nearing a deal with someone to move Gonzalez. The basis of some of these rumors? Gonzalez cleaning out his locker.

We'll never know if the future Hall of Fame tight end was simply cleaning out his locker before the start of the Chiefs first veteran mandatory mini-camp on April 17th or if he removed his belongings with the intention that he wouldn't be back.

If the GM Scott Pioli values Gonzalez more than the Falcons' second round pick then it's unlikely any team in the NFL will match his price. The overlord of the previous Chiefs regime, Carl Peterson, reportedly pushed his asking price from a third to a second and fifth round pick at the trading deadline last year.

We can debate about Gonzalez's worth all day long but he's worth whatever any team will offer him. If the offers that came in last season (Eagles' 3rd, Giants' 6th) are any indication, Tony Gonzalez will not be traded by the Chiefs this season."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/4/13 ... -offer-for

If this is true...........I can't believe it. One would think a 2nd round pick would be more then enough for a 33 year old player............no matter how good they are right now. I am guessing the Chiefs know we have two 5th round picks and are demanding one to be included.

Oh well, this should be no sweat off our backs...........I just like that TD has his ear to the ground and id keeping all options open to better the club.

This situation reminds of the Peavy situation. The owning club wants more than what everyone else wants to pay. A 2nd and 5th is way too much for TG. A 2nd is a little high, but probably worth it considering what TG would mean to the Falcons' offense.

Looks like TD is determined to get a great TE for the Falcons. If the TG trade doesn't go through, then the 24th selection will be Pettigrew (my prediction, and I could very well be wrong).

Couple of things: I;'ve thought all along that Harvin might be one of the guys that other teams would trade up to get and that would be to our advantage. At that spot there probably won't be many guys they are willing to do that for.

And it is nice to see that TD is dealing from a position of strength. That has not been the case for the Falcons of old. TG's presence in the locker room would be huge to the offense and give our qb a shot in the arm. Good to see the suspense builing so early.

Couple of things: I;'ve thought all along that Harvin might be one of the guys that other teams would trade up to get and that would be to our advantage. At that spot there probably won't be many guys they are willing to do that for.

And it is nice to see that TD is dealing from a position of strength. That has not been the case for the Falcons of old. TG's presence in the locker room would be huge to the offense and give our qb a shot in the arm. Good to see the suspense builing so early.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the Falcons trading out of 24 right now as that seems to be an area where there are a bunch of players that grade out the same for our system. That flatness seems to extend well into the second round. Trading down to get a top 10 2nd round pick plus whatever it takes to make the points work out sounds like the way to go.

I'm glad they turned it down. We were already a top 8 offense and Ryan was only a rookie and will continue to improve. Our defense is the problem, we need to spend picks on defense.

We can't settle for what we achieved last year. To be quite frank, we faced pretty bad defenses and our schedule was quite easy. This year, it won't be. Our schedule is one of the toughest in the league and we'll be facing the elite defenses. We won't be able to get by with just Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Michael Turner. We need an X-factor and that can be Gonzalez. Although I think his age is up there, I think he has a couple good years left in him. I'd rather us go out and draft a young tight end though to compliment Ryan, Turner, and White's youth.