• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stephen A. Smith talks Hawks

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
I'll be honest Miller is too old for where we are now if we want to seriously push for a ECF appearance next year. We need a younger point guard, Miller is just too old and he has no outside shot. I was really pushing for years for him to be a Hawk (think Diesel and AHF were too IIRC) but at this point he's just too old and our team has matured enough on its own.

Right now, any old or Flawed PG, I would give 6.5 Million or less. This means:

Miller, Nash, Kidd, Bibby.

I just don't see these guys being here with Smoove for the longhaul... nor do I see them being a factor in the league.

However, I would love their leadership and their ability to run an offense and in the end, that's what I would pay for. However, Woody would have to have a good mix of the old lion and a young PG learning under the old lion.

Young Pgs with exeperience, I would be willing to go 7 -10 Million. This list includes Hinrich and Felton.

Then there are guys who I would spend 6 or below on... depending on their longevity but I would view them as either BU material or not quite 7 Million dollar material. This includes: Sessions, Ridnour, Brevin Knight, Alston.

I've made this comparison in the past. Josh Smith is to the Atlanta Hawks what Andruw Jones was to the Atlanta Braves. It's clear that Josh is the most talented player on the roster, just as Andruw was the most talented player on the Braves roster. Both players could be among the top players in their leagues. However, both players would rather do their own thing than listen to coaches. With Andruw, his thing was trying to pull everything instead of hitting the pitch where it is thrown. With Josh, his thing is that he thinks he is a jump shooter and continues to shoot jump shots when the coaches are telling him that this is clearly a weakness in his game.

Agreed! I was noticing Smith's season stats his ppg,rebounds and block shots all down from the previous 2 yrs. Look I want Smith to succeed but in 5 yrs it doesn't appear he'll ever have the mental ability to take his game to the next level. You either need one superstar or a number of very good players to compete for a championship yearly. Remember the Detroit Piston's back in the 90's they had alot of talented players but no top 5 players in the game on their team although you could argue I Thomas was one. I think will ultimately be the square in a round hole situation until the Hawks find another piece of the puzzle. You can live with hiseratic play has long has other players step up their game. However if Smith must be the main man I don't this team ever competing for championships yearly. He gets outmuscled vs bigger players in the paint and when he can't play inside he goes outside missing on his jump shots.

If no A Miller then what young point guard would be available already established? They don't grow on trees and Miller would be a fill in until the Hawks either develop Acie or find another point guard to groom. How about Jason Kidd if you don't want Miller? He's old but could teach these young players alot about what it takes to succeed.