• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How important is it to have a TRUE center?

mattlanta

A friend of mine thinks we will still suck regardless of whether or not we get Amare because he claims that we do not have a true center, so my question to you is... how important is it in the NBA to have a true center?

In my eyes horford is a true center. If you look at all the centers in the nba horford is in the better half of the group of centers. An he does try to bang with every center i the league. Im sure horford's number one priority is to gain weight atleast 10-15 pounds so he could bang in the paint with all centers. Right now he's 245, once he gains about 10-15 pounds he will be at the average weight of most centers in the NBA. He already has the height (6'10). His weight size keeps him from being a true center but that should change over the off season.

Edited by JTB

i think it all depends on who the other big man beside him is. if amare is beside horford i dont think there would be a problem because you essentially have 2 PFs playing the post who will bang down low. now lets say we have horford and a finesse power forward(smith can be called this at times too) such as dirk, bosh, troy murphy, rashard lewis etc. then I think we would have a problem. this is just my opinion and if I was a GM Id have no problem playing 2 PFs as long as they play defense and can rebound. having 2 6'9 guys can pose a problem at times but I think we would be fine.

You don't necessarily need a TRUE CENTER. You just need someone who can consistently score inside. Every championship team has someone that they can go to inside and sometimes draw double teams.

Lakers- Gasol

Spurs- Duncan

Pistons- Wallace

Celtics- Garnett, Perkins

Heat- Shaq O'neal

Rockets- Olajuwon

I think a big man that can score is a valuable asset to have when you want to win a championship. Horford nor Smith isn't that player but adding Amare isn't the answer. Because another variable to a championship team is defense and trading for Amare will decrease your defense. I think in a few years or so, Horford will be one of the guys that will be able to draw double teams in the post and I think him and Smith together, sooner than later, will be a force to be reckon with on defense.

I think it's important to have someone who knows how to play in the post, someone who can stretch the defense, who can finish down-low with at least 2 go-to moves. Someone who can draw double-teams, find an open man on the perimeter or a cutting teammate... set solid picks both high and low... As far as D is concerned, it's someone who is determined to leave the strong mark in the paint and make his pressence felt with boxing out, rebounding, blocks... Basically, I'm describing a dominant player!

It doesn't have to be a center, it can also be a Power-forward! Remember, Barkley was only 6'6", Karl Malone was 6'9"... Moses was one of the most dominant centers at 6'10", playing against the giants like Kareem, A-train, Chief...

The size is not the only or necessary ingredient for success, but if we look at our closest competition: Cavs (Shaq, Z), Magic (Dwight), Celts (KG, rugged Perkins) or Bulls who can throw bunch of bodies at us (Miller, Noah...), we can't overlook the obvious need for one or even two big bodies to compete head-to-head against these teams! We're fine as far as regular season is concerned, but come Playoffs, when even smallest deficiencies are exposed, it's hard to ignore the fact that we need big bodies to wage wars...

P.S. I was wondering what would it take for us to get Joel Pryzzz from Blazers, but I just don't think we have chips which could attract them...

Edited by T21

i think it all depends on who the other big man beside him is. if amare is beside horford i dont think there would be a problem because you essentially have 2 PFs playing the post who will bang down low. now lets say we have horford and a finesse power forward(smith can be called this at times too) such as dirk, bosh, troy murphy, rashard lewis etc. then I think we would have a problem. this is just my opinion and if I was a GM Id have no problem playing 2 PFs as long as they play defense and can rebound. having 2 6'9 guys can pose a problem at times but I think we would be fine.

One thing Amare doesn't do is bang. With his size and athletiscm he should average 10 boards a game. With Amare he's basically a one trick pony though that one trick is making lots of buckets which he does do.