• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Matt Barnes

I like Matt Barnes alot. He's capable of guarding three positions. Hard nosed and above average defender.

I think he has advantages over Marv in handles, slightly better 3 point shooting, better finisher, stronger.

I think Marv is better mid range shooter, slightly better rebounder, slightly better perimeter defender.

I think he's better in handles and finishing, but that's about it.

6 teams in 6 nba seasons seems to clash with the idea that this guy is a stud.

I agree. Sure he would add depth, but that's it. My lord, reading this thread, he's the guy to get us over the hump?? Very comical.

Marvin is bigger, longer, and faster. The only thing Matt Barnes has on him is pure hops, but it doesn't matter when you factor in the fact that Marvin's standing reach is a full foot higher and his wingspan is half a foot wider. Also, Marvin has gotten significantly stronger and faster since pre-draft camp in 2005 when he was 19 years old. Matt Barnes shot a horrible 42%, so I don't see how on earth you could consider him a better shooter. His defense isn't that much better really. The schemes are different here than in Phoenix, so Marvin doesn't get to play a whole lot of man. When he manned up on the best, like LeBron and Paul Pierce, he did exceptionally well. He was frustrating Paul Pierce (can't remember exactly which game) and even blocked his shot. Also, when your role is to play d like a man possessed, it's easier to focus on just that ala Mario West.

Marvin is a better mid range shooter than Barnes. But, Barnes is a better 3 pt shooter. Marvin while a good defender is passive on defense at times.. What role does Woody have Marvin playing other than play D, shoot the three and get some rebounds?

Edited by GameTime

Marvin is a better mid range shooter than Barnes. But, Barnes is a better 3 pt shooter. Marvin while a good defender is passive on defense at times.. What role does Woody have Marvin playing other than play D, shoot the three and get some rebounds?

How many roles does a player need? Wow, asking a player to play D, shoot the three effectively, and rebound is enough.

How many roles does Joe have? Score?

Would you really prefer Matt Barnes to be our starting 3 man over Marvin? Seriously, Is this a joke?

How many roles does a player need? Wow, asking a player to play D, shoot the three effectively, and rebound is enough.

Would you really prefer Matt Barnes to be our starting 3 man over Marvin? Seriously, Is this a joke?

1. Calm down. I was responding to the man's post. He said Barnes wasn't giving many roles/responsibilities. It was a counter point.

2. Joe has to do EVERYTHING. You think Joe just has to score?

3. When did I say this?

Edited by GameTime

How did this become a thread about replacing marvin, I mean damn! Yes barnes would be a great player to add to our bench but I do think we need to add that big first, just want to get that out of the way 2 ease all of our minds, but I would love 2 see him on our bench playing hard the entire time he's out there and frustrating guys with this swarming d! I'm getting more excited about this offseason everyday! GO HAWKS!!!!

What about Evans? If we sign Barnes, we're very deep at the 1-3 spots. Maybe too deep to get everyone who deserves it some quality PT. Bibby/Teague, JJ/Crawford, Marvin/Evans&Barnes. Maybe the idea is that Marvin would play more minutes at the 4 this year? I don't know. I really like the fact that we're getting deeper, but I just don't see Woodson getting 10 guys in the rotation. If anything, I think signing Barnes would mean that Teague is the odd man out of the rotation. Somebody refresh my memory, when's the last time we drafted a point guard between 10-20 and made him warm the bench for 46 minutes a game his first 2 years... I can't remember.

Anyway, I like Barnes and actually think he'd be a good fit, but I'd rather have a big body.

Kind of odd but Mo was really a SG/SF. I think Barnes would be a SF/PF.

I would rather sign a solid big man first. We would have room for Barnes since we are losing Mario, Gardner, Solo. That would just give us a very strong bench which we need.

Bibby/ Flip/ Teague

JJ/ Crawford

Marv/ Mo/ Barnes

Smith/

Horford/ Zaza/ Morris

Flip is no longer on the team.

How did this become a thread about replacing marvin, I mean damn! Yes barnes would be a great player to add to our bench but I do think we need to add that big first, just want to get that out of the way 2 ease all of our minds, but I would love 2 see him on our bench playing hard the entire time he's out there and frustrating guys with this swarming d! I'm getting more excited about this offseason everyday! GO HAWKS!!!!

I implied they may be looking at Barnes as another player should they not keep Marvin (either not re-signed or traded). That may be where that got started.

Rumors have been circulating all week that Barnes’ agent, Aaron Goodwin has been in contact with the Orlando Magic. Goodwin is also the agent for Orlando Magic Center Dwight Howard. Hoopshype.com has been reporting that Goodwin and the Magic have been in contact throughout the week and that the two appear to be close on a deal. There was no talk about the Cavaliers or the Hawks.

Matt Barnes would be a damn good pickup for them. Man...Orlando is going to be deep next year. We've got to keep up. Bring in Bowen and Wallace. I guarantee you our team will play a whole lot better with veterans coming off the bench and their presence in the locker room and at practice. They are both champions after all.

Have you ever even watched Barnes play? I'm not sure he's better than Marvin, but it is definitely close.