• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Latest DEN trade...Huh?

y2kenta

Is it me is DEN just giving away players AND PICKS? (Read below)

Nuggets swap Hunter, 2010 pick to Memphis

Posted Aug 7 2009 8:33PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- The Denver Nuggets swapped Steven Hunter, a protected 2010 first-round pick and cash to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for a future conditional second rounder, Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said Friday.

Huh?

Nuggets swap Hunter, 2010 pick to Memphis

Posted Aug 7 2009 8:33PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- The Denver Nuggets swapped Steven Hunter, a protected 2010 first-round pick and cash to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for a future conditional second rounder, Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said Friday.

Huh?

I guess that's the going price to get a team to take 4 million off of your payroll and 4 million more in luxury tax. This will get them within about 3 million of the luxury tax and it saves the owners 8 million in real dollars this year.

Heisley cleared out capspace just so he can be a dumping ground for teams afraid of the Lux Tax. He is providing a rare yet utopian service for the leagues various owners.

On the other hand, Memphis now has 4 centers and I'd bet a shiny nickel they just buyout Hunter.....anyone interested in picking up the ole bloke?

Heisley cleared out capspace just so he can be a dumping ground for teams afraid of the Lux Tax. He is providing a rare yet utopian service for the leagues various owners.

On the other hand, Memphis now has 4 centers and I'd bet a shiny nickel they just buyout Hunter.....anyone interested in picking up the ole bloke?

I wouldn't mind Hunter at all at the league minimum although I still prefer Joe Smith. The Grizzlies are building a very talented young team and keeping them under the cap and adding future picks by giving up cap space can only help them add even more young talent.

This is better than the deal that Phoenix made in 2007 (and I don't believe those picks are protected):

The Phoenix Suns today traded center Kurt Thomas and two future first-round draft picks to the Seattle SuperSonics for a future conditional second-round pick. In addition to salary cap relief, the trade leaves Phoenix with an $8 million trade exception for their use in future dealings.