• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe and Craw

Johnnybravo4

Because of injuries, Crawford and Joe Smith haven't seen any PT during the preseason. I know that they are vets but my concern is that it will take a few games for them to knock off the rust and it is in our best interest to start this season fast out of the gate. I think it will be imperative for us to have an 8-2 or 7-3 start. If we go 5-5 or less we will spend the season trying to fend off Wizards, Heat and the like. Not to mention Orlando will win the division by 10+ games.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-smith-plays-role-163800.html

The Hawks have yet to unleash Smith in the preseason, preserving the veteran power forward's legs for what they hope will be a long season. He's yet to see the floor for a game and is held out of some drills in practice to keep his body fresh.

"We're just trying to be smart with it," said Smith, a spry 34-year-old with 27,405 minutes of game-time mileage on his body. "I don't want to burn myself out in the preseason. The plan is for me to play in two of the last three preseason games just to get some game rhythm under my belt so I can be ready for opening night."

Edited by coachx

Actually I am less concerned about Joe than I am Crawford. Crawford is basically our second best offensive player. He is also a volume scorer. If he spends the first 4 games going 2-10 or 4-15 we are toast.

You need to be prepared for those nights. Hopefully when he is shooting like that, Woody can either reign him in or Teague is good enough to play major minutes instead.

Edited by Buzzard

If the cat can't even play 15 - 20 minutes in a preseason game, it does give an indiccation of how much Smith can be counted on during the season.

Like I've been saying, the dude shouldn't play more than 10 minutes a game. If his body is that run down, just give some of his PF minutes to Horford ( or even Hunter ).

I would say this is all by design , its the best way to get Teague,Siler and a few other some quality evaluation time . I guarantee that Crawford and Joe get plenty of minutes the final 3-4 games . That is when you start putting together your rotation for the regular season. You almost never see 30+ yr old bigmen playing a ton in the preseason unless they are out of shape as well. .

If the cat can't even play 15 - 20 minutes in a preseason game, it does give an indiccation of how much Smith can be counted on during the season.

Like I've been saying, the dude shouldn't play more than 10 minutes a game. If his body is that run down, just give some of his PF minutes to Horford ( or even Hunter ).

He averaged 19 minutes a game last season. No reason to think he is not good for 15 a game this season; less minutes a game, I think will be more productive for him.

Looking over last seasons stats, when he had three days rest he averaged 8 PPG and 5.2 RPG in 20 minutes, with one and two days rest he average 6.5 and 6.6 PPG while his RPG where 5.1 and 5.2; again with 20 miniutes per game. With 0 days rest the Cavs only played him a average 16.5 minutes and he averaged 6.0 PPG and 2.4 RPG.

3 days rest really stick out as far as PPG go and RPG stick out as far as when he played back to backs. Hopefully Woody does not wear him out. 15 to 20 minutes is tops for Joe and I would like to see it closer to the 15 minute side so we have him for the stretch run and playoffs.

A nice positive from all this is his FG% did not dramatically change whether he was playing back to backs or had 1,2, or 3 days rest and only when he played back to backs did his RPG suffer. If Woody keeps him closer to 15 minutes a game the back to backs may not hurt his rebounding as much. But then again back to backs are tough for rookies and vets a like.

Edited by Buzzard