• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Formula for Success?

niremetal

Woody deserves a lot of credit. He does. We've improved every year, and we may get over 50 wins this year, sure. My beef with Woody is his offensive gameplan. I just don't see us ever getting to the level we all want riding the coattails of guys that score individually. It's overused, plain and simple. Everyone in the league knows what's coming on offense for Atlanta. If we are fortunate enough to get deeper in the playoffs, it will be exposed. Good coaches in May and June will shut the iso game down, when it really matters.

My problem with the ISO is not that it is a part of our offensive plan; it is the fact that it seems to be our only plan 70 to 80% of the time. When we shoot from the outside well it works; when we don't its horrible.

Boston and Orlando have somethng to fall back on if one or more of their main scorers is not shooting well. We dont; and that is why we get beat badly on poor shooting nights. They can play good D and have multiple offensive sets to hang in and steal one on poor shooting nights.

We are not living and dying by the three as much as we did last year; but we still rely on it to much if ISO Joe or Craw is not working. JJ can have a bad night and we can win; but only if our outside shots are falling. If they are not falling, we look bad and we lose horribly.

Orlando and Cleveland have better PLAYERS on offense yet the Hawks have been more effective on offense this season and you are still bitching about the offense. Its just ridiculous. Yes Orlando has more options on offense- they are called Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter if Howard gets shut down. Cleveland has Shaq and Mo Williams if Lebron gets shut down. The Hawks have one other guy other than Joe who can consistently beat 1 on 1 coverage and thats Jamal Crawford who the Warriors BEGGED to opt out of his contract. Seriously.... I don't see how you can blame the Hawks for not having a better offense when the Hawks are already a top 3 offense this season.

If the Hawks had what you consider to be good coaching where do you think they would rank in the league on offense this season with the personnel they currently have?

Edited by spotatl

Orlando and Cleveland have better PLAYERS on offense yet the Hawks have been more effective on offense this season and you are still bitching about the offense. Its just ridiculous. Yes Orlando has more options on offense- they are called Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter if Howard gets shut down. Cleveland has Shaq and Mo Williams if Lebron gets shut down. The Hawks have one other guy other than Joe who can consistently beat 1 on 1 coverage and thats Jamal Crawford who the Warriors BEGGED to opt out of his contract. Seriously.... I don't see how you can blame the Hawks for not having a better offense when the Hawks are already a top 3 offense this season.

If the Hawks had what you consider to be good coaching where do you think they would rank in the league on offense this season with the personnel they currently have?

I guess you are replying to me?

• Premium Member

Rebounding -

The Hawks were 24th last year in limiting team's offensive rebounds. They're 15th this year, so there's definite improvement there.

They were 19th in offensive Reb% last year. This year, they're 3rd. A huge improvement there.

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

I'll leave the debate of whether a coach should be able to get a player to buy prior to year 6 under the same coach and simply say that I am happy Woody finally got this message through.

IMO, Marvin does not do a good job on the boards, though. He still needs work on elevating his rebounding. With his size, he should be a lot better than 4.9 rpg this season.

I really feel like Marvin is just not built like a good rebounder. He has poor balance, he isn't a ridiculous athlete like Smoove, and he isn't really that big of a guy. He could certainly improve his rebounding a little, but his ceiling for rebounds is probably like a Carmelo Anthony