ISO JOE wins the game

TheNorthCydeRises

Buzzard- a .700 team wins 58 games. You are setting that as the BASELINE for what an OK coach would do with this team. Seriously- the team would have to go 62-20 for you to think that Woodson is doing a good job. Just as a comparison if you were willing to bet in vegas before the season that the Hawks would win more than 46 games you would have made money. You are just setting up unrealistic expectations then bitching and moaning when the team doesn't meet them. And you do it because you simply dislike woodson and want him gone no matter what results he gets on the court. And thats fine- you are a fan so you don't have to have realistic expectations and thats part of what being a fan is all about. But you should at least be aware of what you are doing and where your knee jerk reactions are coming from.

Edited by spotatl

Batum was their best defensive player last year. As a rookie.

So you're right. If you dismiss the impact of Batum out-of-hand, you clearly don't watch the Blazers, so it's time to end the discussion.

I watch enough Blazer basketball to know that Batum is about as good of a defensive player as Mo Evans ( if that ). I also know that he's not going to get 25 minutes a night, because he's a one-dimensional player.

Please don't talk like this guy is a difference maker. He's not a lockdown defender. He's a better defender than Webster, and maybe slightly better than Outlaw. Before that team was decimated by injuries, Portland was seen as one of the deepest teams in the league ( if not tTHE deepest ).

I didn't see anybody on Hawksquawk say . . "we should have a little bit of an easier time against the Blazers, because Nicolas Batum is out."

LOL . . . No.

People were much more worried about Outlaw, because he's traditionally played like Vince Carter-lite against us.

Nicolas Batum . . . . shoot . . . Royal Ivey used to start too, because he was the best defensive option at PG for Woody 4 years ago.

This thread will get off-track now, so let me just cite this, and I'm on to a new subject. Let me look it up first for accuracy, and I'll be right back.

Nicolas Batum ( shaking my head ) . . . . I guess he's Raja Bell now.

Nicolas Batum . . . . shoot . . . Royal Ivey used to start too, because he was the best defensive option at PG for Woody 4 years ago.

This thread will get off-track now, so let me just cite this, and I'm on to a new subject. Let me look it up first for accuracy, and I'll be right back.

Matter of fact, I'll drop 2 facts:

- Hawks are 8 - 4 vs teams below .500 this season.

- Nicolas Batum played a TOTAL of 62 minutes in 6 games vs Houston in the playoffs last year.

Buzzard- a .700 team wins 58 games. You are setting that as the BASELINE for what an OK coach would do with this team. Seriously- the team would have to go 62-20 for you to think that Woodson is doing a good job. Just as a comparison if you were willing to bet in vegas before the season that the Hawks would win more than 46 games you would have made money. You are just setting up unrealistic expectations then bitching and moaning when the team doesn't meet them. And you do it because you simply dislike woodson and want him gone no matter what results he gets on the court. And thats fine- you are a fan so you don't have to have realistic expectations and thats part of what being a fan is all about. But you should at least be aware of what you are doing and where your knee jerk reactions are coming from.

I never said I just wanted a OK coach. I said I want a coach who can match in ability the players that we have. We have three players being considered for the all star game, a 6th man who is the talk of the league, and bench that everyone in the league including our current coach thinks is talented and deep. This team deserves better than OK...

I dislike Woodys schemes; not him. My knee jerk reactions have been consistent concerning Woody since his 2nd or 3rd year. I liked the hire at first because I thought he was a Brown clone. By the end of his 2nd year it was obvious, even though Woody coached under Brown, he was not going to implement a similar system or be a disciplinarian like Brown. Just to give you an idea of what I mean:

How long do you think Smoove would have chucked threes under Brown? Brown would have a fit; all Woody did was stare. And as far as blaming players, I have posted in threads against players who are doing things like JJ not passing out of dbl teams, Smoove chucking threes, Lue and JJ dribbling the cover off the ball, our post players not boxing out etc...and I will be honest with you concerning these things, if it takes 5 years for players to get your message then some of the blame has to placed on the coach who supposedly has control of the team. Then I watch and listen to announcers talk about our defense and offense like it is based on kindergarten coach and you kind of get my drift here.

You say I am bias thats fine. I do dislike our 1/2 court offense and defense. You say its knee jerk, I say I have been consistent for over three seasons. 58 wins would be great IMO not just OK....

Matter of fact, I'll drop 2 facts:

- Hawks are 8 - 4 vs teams below .500 this season.

- Nicolas Batum played a TOTAL of 62 minutes in 6 games vs Houston in the playoffs last year.

Batum was a rookie last season and he won the starting job this season. I do not care if he is Artest on steroids or not; their starting SF was out and even if you think Batum could not tie Marvins shoe laces, surely you can comprehend the fact that when their starting SF is out, it hurt their depth and rotations...

Edited by Buzzard

58 wins would be great IMO not just OK...
Thats a .700 winning percentage. The Hawks are willing over 70% of their games right now and you still want to see Woodson fired. Like I said- its just a knee jerk reaction from you and it has nothing at all to do with the results on the court. You will just focus on the losses and never give woodson any credit at all for the wins.

IF you hear an announcer talk about how the Hawks have a kindergarten offense and its a TOP THREE OFFENSE in the league then you should think that the announcer is dumb as a post. Announcers say ridiculous things constantly. And if you happen to agree with the announcer then the same thing applies.

Edited by spotatl

Thats a .700 winning percentage. The Hawks are willing over 70% of their games right now and you still want to see Woodson fired. Like I said- its just a knee jerk reaction from you and it has nothing at all to do with the results on the court. You will just focus on the losses and never give woodson any credit at all for the wins.

IF you hear an announcer talk about how the Hawks have a kindergarten offense and its a TOP THREE OFFENSE in the league then you should think that the announcer is dumb as a post. Announcers say ridiculous things constantly. And if you happen to agree with the announcer then the same thing applies.

NO NO NO I do not want Woody fired right now. Give him till the break if we are still here, I am good. Give him till the end of the season, if we are still here I am good. I have said all-star break and end of season for water marks at least a 1/2 dozen times. I know you want me to be knee jerk, it makes you feel comfortable; but I am anything but that. Now please read all my post and find one where I said Woody needs to be fired right now...

And the references to kindegarten offense and defense are not just from this season; which is a knee jerk assumption on your part, as is interjecting that I want Woody fired right now. We had a great 1st ten and what I consider to be a medicore 2nd ten. Neither offers proof of where we will be at the break or at the end of the season; nor does the 1st 20, because of how erratic our play was, taken as a whole.

I keep saying improve on the road and improve against under .500 teams. I do not mean do this for only 10 games, 20 games (which seems to be enough to make you and northcyde warm and fuzzy all over), etc... I mean for the season. Now if we are in dire straights looking at a 6th seed at the break; it will not hurt my feelings to make a move then. If not, give Woody till the end of the season.

I am not for mid season changes and disruptions; but I do expect improvements in those two areas for the season.

Edited by Buzzard