We go as Josh Smith goes

AUhawksfan

Anyone else feel this way? We as a team perform well when Josh is, but we're a sinking ship when he doesn't. I think that's the main reason our record is so good this year, because of his improved play.

He makes plays on offense and defense that can pump him and his team up and get them going. He looked like crap against Chicago tonight and a good game by Joe isn't going to negate that.

Anyone else feel this way? We as a team perform well when Josh is, but we're a sinking ship when he doesn't. I think that's the main reason our record is so good this year, because of his improved play.

He makes plays on offense and defense that can pump him and his team up and get them going. He looked like crap against Chicago tonight and a good game by Joe isn't going to negate that.

Agreed...and it's a dang shame....both for Smoove and his sudden inability to do anything right...and for his backups to not be able to back him up. If I were Horford I would put J-Smoove against a wall and ask him if he wanted me to work my @ss off to lose a game that we could have easily won if he was in the game at all.

Absolutely. If Josh goes out due to foul trouble, or in the Knicks loss, ejection, our opponents feel they can attack the rim with impunity. Al is a decent shotblocker but he's not feared like Josh is. Which is why Josh has to play smarter with 2 and 3 fouls on him.

Having said that, this game was lost when we couldn't close out in the 4th quarter with a 9 point lead.

• Premium Member

Funny. Because in games where Josh was our leading scorer in last year's playoffs, we were 1-3.

Basketball is a team sport, for pete's sake, and the Hawks are a deep team. We don't live and die by ANY single player.

Anyone else feel this way? We as a team perform well when Josh is, but we're a sinking ship when he doesn't. I think that's the main reason our record is so good this year, because of his improved play.He makes plays on offense and defense that can pump him and his team up and get them going. He looked like crap against Chicago tonight and a good game by Joe isn't going to negate that.

I disagree completely. The Hawks can afford for any one guy to have a bad night but not 3 freaking starters. Hell, even if Marvin or Bibby played average the Hawks win. Some of you are giving Smoove way more credit for the team's turnaround than he actually deserves. The only area of his game that's improved is shot selection. He's averaging 15(51%fg) and 8 this year an15.6(49%fg) and 7 last year. His production is almost the same as last year. The bench (and taking care of the ball) is by far the biggest reason for the turnaround IMO.

I don't think anybody ever said we live and die by Josh Smith, but I think he affects the outcome of the game more than anybody. After looking at the stats, I think I'm pretty close. It really seems to be him and Al (our frontcourt) having the most affect.

SPLIT G MIN FG% STL BLK TO TOT AST PTS

Josh Smith

In wins 19 31.5 55.000 1.79 2.47 2.1 8.5 3.7 16.1

In losses 7 30.4 40.230 1.29 2.29 1.9 7.6 3.0 12.3

Al Horford

In wins 19 32.5 61.053 0.58 1.37 1.3 9.3 2.1 14.6

In losses 7 35.1 48.333 0.86 1.14 1.6 10.0 2.0 10.0

Go look at the splits for other players and you'll notice not near as much of a difference. Either way, I still think Josh is even more of a contrast then Horford when you look at FG%. When Josh's shot selection is bad (i.e. long jumpers), we don't have a good chance of winning and it showed in Chicago. The loss to Detroit is the only real game Josh played well. I know a lot of people bash Marvin for not showing up some games, but he doesn't seem to affect the game enough to have a say on the final score. He's disappeared in plenty of games we've won, but people only point it out when we lose.

Josh just does so many of the things we notice so it's easy to see when he doesn't have his head in the game.

Funny. Because in games where Josh was our leading scorer in last year's playoffs, we were 1-3.

Basketball is a team sport, for pete's sake, and the Hawks are a deep team. We don't live and die by ANY single player.

He had to be our leading scorer because Joe completely disappeared in those games. Thankfully we have Crawford this year who should be able to negate a lot of that.

He had to be our leading scorer because Joe completely disappeared in those games. Thankfully we have Crawford this year who should be able to negate a lot of that.

Then does that mean that Joe is our most important player, when Joe disappears the hawks went 1-3? There is no single player that determines the outcome of a game by himself throughout the whole game, especially on this team

• Like 1