• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Draft

jy23

So what would you be looking for the Falcons to do in the draft this year and what player would you be looking for to meet that need?

Me personally I'm looking for an edge rusher or defensive back.....either one will help in our horrible pass defense. Don't really know which one I'd prefer bc their both needed, if Abraham would stop taking plays off the rush wouldn't be such a problem.

I think Everson Griffen would be a good pick...I'm pretty sure he would be available at that point.....I know I know he goes to USC but its not a homer pick for me, I really think he could be a pretty good player, he also has the tendency to take plays off but if we could get that corrected I think he could be a beast...4.6 40 off the end isn't bad. Sergio Kindle and Greg Hardy would also be good picks at that point but I don't think either one will still be there.

As far as the dbs I"m liking Lindley...the guy from Kentucky......injury this year set him back and will more than likely allow him to drop far enough for us to pick him, if it weren't for the injury he might have been a top 10 pick. Other guy I'm looking at but don't know if he's declared yet is Donovan Warren...the kid from Michigan....looks like he could be a beast, real shut down type...love his ball hogging skills and looks to be pretty physical, he may not be the fastest guy but still love his game.'

Thoughts ???????

• Moderators

My #1 priority for the Falcons nearly every year for quite a while has been the defensive line and it is again this year. Games are won in the trenches more than anywhere else and we need to be able to stop the run and pressure the QB. We need an upgrade in talent on our DL, IMO.

My #1 priority for the Falcons nearly every year for quite a while has been the defensive line and it is again this year. Games are won in the trenches more than anywhere else and we need to be able to stop the run and pressure the QB. We need an upgrade in talent on our DL, IMO.

Anyone in particular you want us to go after?

Here is our current draft situation:

First remember we traded our 2nd & 7th round picks for T. Gonzalez last year...........so those picks are the Chiefs. The Falcons were comfortable with this b/c Dimitroff knew he had 3 compensatory picks coming his way.

Falcons have:

1st (we will flip a coin with the Texans for the 19th and 20th pick)

3rd

4th

5th

6th

Don't forget our compensatory picks from losing free agents Brooking, Foxworth, Boley, & G. Jackson.

We signed Mike Peterson...................so Brooking and Peterson should cancel each other out since they're stats and salaries are similar this year.

Based on the pay and performance of our FA lost it should equate to:

Foxworth = 4th or 5th round compensatory pick at the end of 1 of these rounds

Boley = 5th or 6th round compensatory pick at the end of 1 of these rounds

Jackson = 6th or 7th round at the end of 1 of these rounds

At the end of the day hopefully we walk away with:

1st

3rd

4th

4th compensatory "sandwich pick"

5th

5th compensatory "sandwich pick"

6th

6th compensatory "sandwich pick"

Areas of need:

1.) CB - #1 weakness of the team (too bad its weak draft class at CB) TD may like the growth of the young guys but I have not bought into to both Grimes and Owens being legit startes. Maybe the new DB coach can help here.

2.) DL - with Abraham dissapearing, Jerry out for the season as a 25 year old rookie, and Bierrman dissapearing it looks like this is steal a major need. Hopefully Sidbury steps up next year.

3. ) OL depth - this is a need for every team in the league

4.) RB depth - I'm assuming Norwood will be gone next year as a FA due to his injury concerns. Since Snelling and Turner are both bruisers I would assume a middle round pick will go to get a shifty RB / kick returner.

5. LB depth - Peterson will be 33 - 34 next year but both Lofton and Nichols are young keepers

6.) WR depth - As long as Douglas is back to 100% this is not a HUGE need. Jenkins needs to pick his game up. I'd like to pick up a veteran to upgrade over Booker and Finneran.

7.) Kicker - sign a vet in FA hopefully

Maybe a few of these needs are fillled in FA..........hopefully a legit #1 CB who can start from day #1.

2010 potential FA's wish lists:

DE - Dumerville - (25 years old) I'd break the bank to get this guy and then I'd cut Abraham if he continues to play like he has lost his explosiveness off the line

CB - Carlos Rodgers - (28 years old) solid B+ corner wants to get away from the Redskins

CB - D. Robinson - legit starter though not flashy, think Foxworth

Edited by coachx

Anyone in particular you want us to go after?

1st round wish list by position:

Haden, CB - fills our #1 or #2 need but since its a shallow CB class he may not be there for us

Warren, CB - tough to gage him vs. Big 10 passing games. I bet Dimitrioff stays away.

Dowling - 6'2'' CB........Falcons need a big CB

Dunlap, DE - 1st round talent but has off the field issues that could make him fall to us. top 10 talent but the Falcons have been staying away from guys like him. He is the guy who fell asleep at a red light and got a DUI 2 days before the SEC Championship.

Pieree- Paul - DE - high risk high reward. Terms like raw reminds me too much of Jamall Anderson but he has some hype going on now

Norwood DE/ OLB - Reminds of David Pollack - just a nasty football player who is a natural pass rusher but undersized. Looks like a clone of John Abraham. Worked vs. stout SEC competition and is proven edge rusher.

Kindle - DE / OLB

Sapp DE / OLB

Bowman, OLB

Hughes , OLB - can you say tenacious pass rusher. Loved watching this guy at TCU.

Coady, DT - not a 3 down player but bad a** 2 down player.

William DT - nice multi dimensional DT.

Williams, T

Bulaga, T - got the best of GT's DE Morgan, who is a sure fire top 10 pick, in the Orange Bowl. He seems like a "nasty" guy who would work well by Dahl.

Spiller, RB - not our #1 need but too good to pass on if he slips to us

D. Bryant WR - not a major need but if he slips he is too good to pass on too.

If we could trade down and find a way to get Bulaga and Norwood I would be a very happy guy !

Edited by coachx

Some info on how compensatory picks are awarded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Another tid bit is the age of a player is a factor. The highest pick you can get for losing a player to free agency that is over 30 years old, is only a 5th round compensatory pick.

Boley had 84 tackles, with plenty of playing time, and was born in 1982. I am not sure if they go based on how old the player was when he signed his new contract or their current age.......but the good news is that Boley is under 30 either way. As the link stated, salary is the main factor. Boley signed a 5 year $25 mill deal which I assume is an even $5 mill per year.

Foxworth had 54 tackles and 4 interceptions which are pretty solid number and playing time for a CB. He was born in 1983, so he is easily under 30. Foxworth's deal is 4 years at $28 mill. So I assume that is $7 mill per year. Hopefully that is a high enough salary to warrant a 3rd round compensatory pick !

Grady Jackson is over 30 so don't expect much of anything for losing him. Probably a 7th round compensatory pick. Remember also that Peterson and Brooking will cancel each other out.

It would be great of both Boley and Foxworth can get us comensatory picks in the 3rd or 4th rounds. We will know in mid- March.

Edited by coachx

1st round wish list by position:

Haden, CB - fills our #1 or #2 need but since its a shallow CB class he may not be there for us

Warren, CB - tough to gage him vs. Big 10 passing games. I bet Dimitrioff stays away.

Dowling - 6'2'' CB........Falcons need a big CB

Dunlap, DE - 1st round talent but has off the field issues that could make him fall to us. top 10 talent but the Falcons have been staying away from guys like him. He is the guy who fell asleep at a red light and got a DUI 2 days before the SEC Championship.

Pieree- Paul - DE - high risk high reward. Terms like raw reminds me too much of Jamall Anderson but he has some hype going on now

Norwood DE/ OLB - Reminds of David Pollack - just a nasty football player who is a natural pass rusher but undersized. Looks like a clone of John Abraham. Worked vs. stout SEC competition and is proven edge rusher.

Kindle - DE / OLB

Sapp DE / OLB

Bowman, OLB

Hughes , OLB - can you say tenacious pass rusher. Loved watching this guy at TCU.

Coady, DT - not a 3 down player but bad a** 2 down player.

William DT - nice multi dimensional DT.

Williams, T

Bulaga, T - got the best of GT's DE Morgan, who is a sure fire top 10 pick, in the Orange Bowl. He seems like a "nasty" guy who would work well by Dahl.

Spiller, RB - not our #1 need but too good to pass on if he slips to us

D. Bryant WR - not a major need but if he slips he is too good to pass on too.

If we could trade down and find a way to get Bulaga and Norwood I would be a very happy guy !

I can almost guarantee that Haden won't be there for us but I would love it if he was.....I like Warren, I get what you're saying about the big Ten but I just like the way the guy plays, looks good to me.......Didn't see much of Dowling so don't have a real opinion on him but I do like the size.....

Again I doubt Dunlap will be there even with the off the field stuff but if he's there he's to good of a talent to pass up....I'm with you on Kindle........Paul I say stay away, bc of what u said about JA98, cant deal with that again.......Norwood would be ok but I think Hardy is going to be the better player and if they're both still there I say go with Hardy......Hughes would be great but idk if he would be his best in our scheme.....Coady...I mean we just got Jerry so....idk

I wouldn't be mad if we took Spiller or Bryant if they were still on the board but I would much rather us work on that defense unless we do some major MAJOR things in free agency this summer

So who are the hidden jewels out their in the 3rd and 4th rounds ? We spend all our attention on the 1st round. The Falcons could very well have two 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders after then compensatory picks.

Are there any little quick scat backs who could return kicks and fill in for Noorwood's spot ?

Is their a hidden pass rusher from a small school ?

An OLB possibly ?

A stud center may be there in the 3rd or 4th round.

I know its early but are there any hidden gems out there that will slip to the 3rd or 4th ?

Some RBs I'd be eyeing for the 3rd and 4th rounds are Tate / Auburn, Gerhart / Stanford, Fletcher/ Southern Miss, McCluster / Ole Miss / Hardesty / Tennessee

A specialty player who could help in the mid rounds is James from the Gators. He could be a dynamic kick returner and a 3rd down back. He is young and raw but has the speed you can't teach and we play at least 9 games a year on turf ( 8 home games & NO).........normally we play 10 to 11 games a year on turf.

At OLB we may have available is Curran out of UGA. The guy can really run for a OLB. He will slip b/c of his height but Falcons fans will never forget Jessie "The Hammer" Tuggle who was also 5'11''.

Norwood may even drop to the 3rd round due to his size. I am higher on the guy then the internet mock drafts are.........as is anyone who watches SEC football.

Edited by coachx

Perrish Cox / Okl St. CB

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/01/26/falcons-may-like-cornerback-perrish-cox/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

One agent I’d met last year came up and started chatting. He wanted to make sure I knew what players he’d signed. He also noted the local agent Todd France was having a really big season and then offered up some possibly valuable draft information.

“I’ll tell you what,” the agent said. “He’s not even my client, but I know the Falcons love that big kid over there (pointing). Perrish Cox, the cornerback from Oklahoma State.”

Now, I’m interested.

The NFL Network’s Mike Mayock had already alerted me to him, Florida State’s Patrick Robinson and Southern California’s Taylor Mays as possible first round defensive backs on the South team. Mays is a safety.

“So, Cox in the first round for the Falcons?,” I asked the agent.

“He won’t be there in the second,” the agent said. “And he’s not my guy.”

Unsolicited, the agent said, “He’s got three kids.”

Everybody knows the Falcons are looking for so-called “good character” players in the post-Michael Vick era. You can’t indict a guy for starting a family early, but the Falcons will want to know more about his family.

So the Falcons might have to do a thorough background check on Cox, who was also suspended for the Cotton Bowl. e apparently missed curfew by 30 minutes and fell out with head coach Mike Gundy.

Last season, the Falcons passed on Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis because of his “character” issues. He was selected one pick after they took Peria Jerry. He went on to have a fine rookie season with the Dolphins and made several all-rookie teams.

Cox is 6-foot and 190 pounds and went against touted receiver Dez Bryant in practice every day. (You know, until he got suspended.) He’s also an accomplished returner.

Jerry Glanville

THE MAN IN BLACK: Former Falcons coach Jerry Glanville comes over and is talking to a scout I know. He saw the badge!!!

He speaks and I introduce myself.

“Having some fun down there now,” Glanville said. “That QB (Matt Ryan) can play. They need some corners though. When I had Deion (Sanders) everybody thought I could coach cornerbacks.”

but here are the warning signs:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1133568

01/11/2010 - 2009 BOWL GAME FALLER: Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State: Cox could have made headlines with a strong performance against the combination of QB Jevan Snead to WR Shay Hodge, but instead hit the papers before the game after being sent home. He reportedly missed curfew twice during bowl week, displaying a lack of discipline NFL scouts were already wary of. His 6-0, 195-pound frame, sub 4.5 speed, and ball skills (19 pass defensed in 2009) are intriguing, but not elite - and it is hard for teams to draft a player in the first round who can not follow simple rules on when to return to the team hotel for lights-out. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/01/2010 - Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy says cornerback Perrish Cox will not play in the Cotton Bowl against Mississippi on Saturday. The coach says Cox violated team rules. The announcement came from the school Friday. Cox is one of the team's top defensive players and a second-team All-American. The 21st-ranked Cowboys play the Rebels in the first Cotton Bowl at Dallas Cowboys Stadium. - AP Sports

Edited by coachx

CB class may be even weaker then we thought:

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/15636/20100127/wednesday_senior_bowl_notes_(south)/

From Jeff Risdon

DBs

The word that keeps springing to mind regarding the South secondary is “overrated”. I was quite disappointed with Florida State’s Patrick Robinson, who really stood out during some ACC games but had a poor day. He got his feet crossed on a sharp cut from Roberts and tumbled to the ground on one play, and failed to locate the ball on an obvious fade route another time. He is quite fluid in individual drills but closes his hips and guesses too much in actual coverage situations.

Another major disappointment, albeit a more expected one, is Kentucky’s Trevard Lindley. Very slight of build--his calves are pipe cleaners--he clutches and holds far too often and fails to get any sort of redirection. I like his closing speed and he has very nice hands, but he seems tentative and tight on the edge and really struggled to stay balanced when receivers got their hands on him.

Javier Arenas of Alabama had a hit-and-miss day. He is scrappy and uses his hands very well for a smaller guy, but he doesn’t consistently burst out of his breaks. He also showed an alarming tendency to try and intercept every ball when the smart play would be to attack the receiver and stay under control. He fared well using inside technique and his confidence is unflappable. He has a lot of Nathan Vasher to him.

Perrish Cox of Oklahoma State struggled in positional drills, getting beaten easily on a simple slant route one time and losing track of Mississippi State’s Anthony Dixon in the end zone on a rollout. But he shined in 11’s, making a very nice quick read and jumping a route for an INT one time and flashing the closing speed to break up another pass. He seems much more confident in his coverage with safety help, and he is very good at peeking at the QB in those situations. Read that as, “If you draft him you’d better have a very good safety behind him”.

Taylor Mays failed to impress once again. Honestly I’m not overtly seeking to criticize him, but once again he failed to make plays where plays were there to be made. Three straight times in the closing 11-on-11 drills he had chances to read the field and see where the ball was likely to go, but he failed to act and the throw got completed right where he should have been. On one of the plays the corner (Robinson) properly funneled the route inside to his safety help (Mays) but Mays either failed to anticipate it or failed to react. I was standing next to a recently retired NFL safety during this time and he exclaimed, “What the f*** is he waiting for?”

LSU safety Harry Coleman also struggles to quickly diagnose the action, and he lacks Mays’ freakish speed. He fills the box nicely and he looked pretty good covering the tight ends, but he is not a zone cover safety or centerfielder.

South Florida’s Nate Allen is smaller than the other safeties but he has the best instincts and most functional range of the group. He showed a real nice understanding of what the offense was going to do and quickly closed on the ball in front of him. His Bulls mate, CB Jerome Murphy, is another grabber that doesn’t come out of his breaks real quickly, but his arm length and physical strength help him compensate. He fared quite well in short-field conditions, blanketing a fade route and flipping his hips nicely to stay right with an inside slant.

Edited by coachx

Is their a hidden pass rusher from a small school ?

http://football.realgm.com/src_twelfthwriter/53/20100127/wednesday_senior_bowl_notes_(north)/

Star of the Day

Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington put on a show today. The lines were doing a drill where the D-linemen twisted, and Carrington flew into Shawn Lauvao and flattened him with such force that Lauvao’s helmet hit the ground. Later on Carrington drove BC center Matt Tennant backwards into the pseudo-QB, showing great pad level and leg drive. Then in 11-on-11 drills he quickly diagnosed a bootleg by Central Michigan’s Dan Lefevour and chased him out of bounds, staying with him step for step. My enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by the poor quality of North OL play (more on that later), but Carrington has shown great burst, energy, and base power all week.

Good days

Murray State DE Austen Lane can be a real handful on the edge, and he showed he can twist inside with good pad level for a taller guy. He whipped UMass OL Vlad Ducasse, who once again badly struggled at tackle. Lane has great size at 6’6” and 274 pounds and he is having no trouble making the jump from the OVC to running with the big dogs.

Edited by coachx

I really think the Falcons should draft my boys Brian Price and Alterraun Verner (DT & CB). Price will only fall because of Suh and McCoy but he'll be a stud. I know the Falcons drafted Jerry last year but Price would fit in great with the Falcons. Verner is the most underrated corner in the draft. He's going to be a steal. He has it all from work ethic and character and ball & cover skills, plus his position coach was Carnell Lake at UCLA. Oh and no character/work ethic concerns with either one of them unlike Cheatey Carroll's players..

• 2 weeks later...

http://jmike.blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2010/02/04/a-chat-with-draftcountdown-com/

“I don’t think there’s any question the Falcons top priority is cornerback,” said Scott Wright from DraftCountdown.com this week. “The problem is, will there be somebody available in the middle of the first round at that position? That’s still to be determined.”