• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's only happened TWICE since 1985 ... care to guess what that is?

Admin

help%20wanted3.gif :temperature:

Watching the game tonight and thinking about how much Jeff Teague continues to struggle got me to thinking about guards that we've drafted and it's worse than you think. Since the 1985 draft we've selected exactly TWO guards (John Battle and Jason Terry) who've scored more than 3,000 points in their career.

http://www.basketbal.../ATL/draft.html

Player (points scored)

1. Jeff Teague (118)
  2. Sergiy Gladyr (N/A)
  3. Acie Law (438)
  4. Salim Stoudamire (1260)
  5. Cenk Akyol (N/A)
  6. Royal Ivey (1313)
  7. Travis Hansen (123)
  8. Scoonie Penn (N/A)
  9. Jason Terry (13655)
  10. Dion Glover (2407)
  11. Cory Carr (171)
  12. Ed Gray (373)
  13. Donnie Boyce (79)
  14. Gaylon Nickerson (15)
  15. Elmer Bennett (48)
  16. Rodney Monroe (131)
  17. Rumeal Robinson (2546)
  18. Steve Bardo (73)
  19. Roy Marble (55)
  20. Haywoode Workman (1967)
  21. Anthony Taylor (144)
  22. Jim Les (1210)
  23. Sedric Toney (409)
  24. John Battle (5338) - 1985

Meanwhile, including that 1999 draft (when we picked Terry), the Spurs have drafted FIVE guards who've scored more than 3,000 points. And that's with them picking significantly further down in the draft than us which means that despite their more difficult draft positions they picked 2.5 times the number of NBA quality guards as the Hawks and in 14 fewer years.

*Disclaimer - There are likely several more guards picked in the 2nd round that didn't have their position listed on basketball reference but none of them scored much, if at all. Also, I am not counting guys like Dermarr Johnson and Josh Childress who were capable of playing guard but were natural forwards.

maybe we need better scouts

There's no maybe about it Theeyo. That stat is depressing. If you luck up and have an impressive tournament run, the Hawks will draft you at point, regardless of how you project at the next level. I like Teague, but his jumper seems light years away from being decent. Jason Terry doesn't count: he's proved over his whole career he's a combo, heavy on the 2.

Edited by benhillboy

Let's not forget we got Dan Dickau in 2002- stole him from the Kings (he was their 1st round pick). What a jewel he was.

Ah yes good catch that's something I hadn't thought of was players we got via trade on draft night since they didn't show up on our draft register. Has there been a guard in the last 25 years that we got on draft night who actually became a good player to try and help make this list look less pathetic?

• Moderators

Ah yes good catch that's something I hadn't thought of was players we got via trade on draft night since they didn't show up on our draft register. Has there been a guard in the last 25 years that we got on draft night who actually became a good player to try and help make this list look less pathetic?

No. You could add all the guards we passed on who would have made this list but that wouldn't make it any less pathetic. We just blew at drafting before BK (and obviously weren't perfect there).