• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ilgauskas not allowed to re-join Cavs?

LefthooK

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtiEYHHqEWI3ivdgQI8sybA5nYcB?slug=ys-ilgauskasbuyout022110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes) could reach agreement on a buyout with the Washington Wizards in the next couple days, his agent told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday.

The bigger question is this: Will the NBA allow him to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Ilgauskas’ agent, Herb Rudoy, said he was “hopeful” a buyout would be done by “Monday or Tuesday,” after having discussions with Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld over the weekend.

The Los Angeles Times reported the NBA has told teams the center won’t be allowed to return to the Cavaliers, based on evidence there was a prearranged deal. The Cavs traded Ilgauskas and a No. 1 draft pick for Antawn Jamison(notes) on Thursday, and many in the NBA – including Lakers coach Phil Jackson and Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers – insisted they believed Ilgauskas was always destined to return to Cleveland.

“ ‘Z’ does not want to go to Washington and knows that there are plenty of good teams that want to sign him,” Rudoy said. “He’s going to take his time.”

Players have to wait 30 days before re-signing with the team that just traded them.

Rudoy insists the NBA hasn’t contacted him about any evidence of a prearranged deal, and vehemently denied anything had been arranged among the Wizards, Cavs and Ilgauskas to get the center back to Cleveland for the playoffs.

“I signed off on the document that there are no other deals in place on this, and I’m not going to put my practice of representing players in jeopardy if that wasn’t true,” Rudoy said.

Great news for the Hawks if he can't go back to Cleveland.

Even if he doesn't sign with Atlanta, at least we won't see him in the 2nd round/ECF.

Edited by Hook24

As many have said, you shouldn't be allowed to, once traded, come back to that same team at any point during the season..for reasons JUST LIKE THIS.

Even if there was no pre-arranged deal, I'm pretty sure that with being traded to Washington's garbage team, Z's history and recent positive comments regarding the Cavs, and the likely buyout at some point for cap relief, the Cavs HAD to have figured Big Z would be coming back after 30 days.

As many have said, you shouldn't be allowed to, once traded, come back to that same team at any point during the season..for reasons JUST LIKE THIS.

Even if there was no pre-arranged deal, I'm pretty sure that with being traded to Washington's garbage team, Z's history and recent positive comments regarding the Cavs, and the likely buyout at some point for cap relief, the Cavs HAD to have figured Big Z would be coming back after 30 days.

Exactly! It would be so dumb if he was allowed to be traded and then join the same team again. The Cavs would basically be trading him for nothing!

I know it kinda sucks, but if the Wizards buy him out, he's a free agent and honestly should be allowed to do what he wants to do. Do I want this to happen? Of course not. Is it kind of shady? Obviously. But if the guy is a free agent, you can't necessarily fault him for wanting to put himself on a great team, and you can't really fault the Cavaliers for being the most desirable destination in the NBA at the moment.

I don't know. It's a tricky situation. If it happens, the Cavs are definitely "working the system", but then again, "working the system" just means you're being smart about how the rules work.

All that being said - I'd love to have him on the Hawks. He'd be an incredible addition for us.

• Moderators

I know it kinda sucks, but if the Wizards buy him out, he's a free agent and honestly should be allowed to do what he wants to do. Do I want this to happen? Of course not. Is it kind of shady? Obviously. But if the guy is a free agent, you can't necessarily fault him for wanting to put himself on a great team, and you can't really fault the Cavaliers for being the most desirable destination in the NBA at the moment.

I don't know. It's a tricky situation. If it happens, the Cavs are definitely "working the system", but then again, "working the system" just means you're being smart about how the rules work.

All that being said - I'd love to have him on the Hawks. He'd be an incredible addition for us.

It isa similar dynamic to the Joe Smith/Minnesota situation. The T-Wolves were free to sign Joe Smith to the contract he signed and then give him a bigger deal when he became a free agent. However, you can't collude to do this on the front end. Cleveland can trade Z, let them wait the 30 days, and then resign Z without any problem but if you collude to do this on the front end then you are working to circumvent the rules and can get into trouble.

I doubt anything comes of this but this is exactly the type of thing that the a team like the Hawks or T-Wolves (i.e,. one the NBA doesn't care about protecting) would get into trouble with.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

With Joe Smith, they actually signed papers saying that they intended to go back later and sign him to a bigger deal. Thats where they lost all those first round picks.

It doesn't matter whether it is written or not. Signing papers, however, makes it a LOT easier to prove. I suspect there is email traffic out there confirming this was equally prearranged if anyone cares to look, but I also suspect that nothing will come of this and Z will be back in Lebron's Cleveland.

This is something the NBA has to fix in the next CBA.

I read somewhere that he has to be with a team by March 1st to be eligible to play in the playoffs. Is that true or a rumor ? If so, do you guys think that'll affect our interest in him ?

Only players bought out before march 1st are eligible to be used in the playoffs. He can sign pretty much anytime he wants and still be allowed to play in the playoffs, but he has to be bought out before march 1st.

Donnie Nelson refuted reports that the NBA is considering blocking Zydrunas Ilgauskas from re-signing with the Cavaliers. “You hear all that hogwash about the NBA blocking that,’’ Nelson said. “But there’s no truth to it.’’

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64945/20100222/nba_wont_block_z_from_signing_with_cleveland/#ixzz0gJ01tVqZ