• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I just heard on ESPN "RIGHT NOW" update that...

AnthonyI11

• Premium Member

even if smoove doesnt start, he would still play big minutes

Smoove has to start. No way you bench him the way he's playing this year, especially the past couple weeks. That being said, I don't think you'd see Josh at SF for too long after the first 5 minutes of the game. On offense, Josh is a gazillion times more effective within 10 feet than he is on the perimeter. We could get away with that, though, because we could simply have Z on the baseline corners instead of down low. But on defense, you don't the league's best help defender chasing his man around the perimeter any more than he already is. And that's the real issue - a lineup with Z at the 5 and Josh at the 3 is one that can just be shredded off screen rolls and dribble-drives.

Easy solution. Leave Josh @PF and move Horford to SF.

There is an old quote from history "Would a rose by any other name smell the same?"

What's in a name any way? If you are designated for one position, are you nailed down to the floor?

Certainly not. Call them whatever makes you happy. Just let them play!

:conversation:

• Moderators

I really do not see a problem with Josh, Al and Big Z on the court. Offensiely "Big Z" will be himsilf moving away from the rim with the high post, mid-range shot and the three. Josh's game will not change,or shouldn't. Defensively we zone with Josh or Joe at the top often. the switchig is not be effected.

What's the problem?

(1) Z hasn't shot the jumper well this year so relying on him to stretch the flooor is dubious. (11 total 3's this year - .379 efg% on jumpers).

(2) Josh doesn't D up well on perimeter scorers like he would have to do if he was the SF. His role on defense would have to fundamentally change.

(3) With Z on the floor, we couldn't do our switching. Do you really think Z is going to pick up anyone but a center?

(4) Josh's help defense is neutered by putting him far away from the basket.

(5) There is a chance Josh will take more jumpers if put in the SF position with Horford in the paint and Z on the high post.

I'd still give this a try if we got Z and see how it worked out, but the problems with Josh at SF are screamingly obvious to me.