• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thrashers: Need Playoffs? Call 1-800-AARP

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

48-year old defenseman? Anybody?

To Don Waddell, age ain't nothing but a number. Especially when it comes down to a guy who started in the NHL during Reagan's second term, and who might salvage Waddell's job by backing the Thrash into the playoffs... oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Mora, you asked a question?

It is official. The Thrashers called up Chris Chelios from AHL Chicago. He will join the team in Columbus in time for Thursday’s game and will be in the lineup.

Coach John Anderson said that a call-up was option with Christoph Schubert being out 3-5 weeks. The team’s current three-game losing streak and Chelios’ 25 years of NHL experience were the reasons for the move.

“I don’t like the way the team has been playing lately,” Thrashers GM Don Waddell said. “We are a desperate team right now and we have to get back on track soon. … With the situation now, our backs are against the wall. Bringing in a veteran presence made more sense than bringing in a younger guy.”

Anderson said Chelios’ leadership will be counted on.

“Certainly, he’s played a leadership role on championship teams,” Anderson said of the three-time Stanley Cup winner. ” That’s what we’ll use him for. We have lots of tools here and we are going to try to use every one of them, whatever it takes to make the playoffs.

With that in mind, I'm wondering, have Herschel, Smoltzie, Nique, or Evander (not you, Kane... Holyfield) ever expressed interest as a goalie?

~lw3