Does anyone disagree that Al Horford is not Karl Malone's clone

Joker

Is Al Horford the next Karl Malone?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like I and others have mentioned in the past, Al is the slightly better defensive player and slightly worst offensive Karl Malone. Do you agree or disagree?

Edited by nbasuperstar40

No and no.

/thread

Explain?

Malone scored twice as many points and made All-NBA Defensive 1st Team 3 times.

Obviously you did not take into account what teams both players played on. One plays a team where four players can be major options while Malone rarely had someone who would be a #2 option offensively.

All-NBA Defensive Team can be star status award and clearly if Al is on a team where he's the 4th option, there is a great chance we will not receive that recognition. In fact, Josh Smith is a prime example of someone who doesn't receive his fair due defensively as he should.

Offensively, they are extremely similar. In fact, I watched 15-20 Jazz games within the last 6 months just picking up on Malone offensive ques. Their almost the same as Horford. Malone is more of a natural scorer, that's all I could take away from them on offense. Defense, they are the same except for Horford does try a lot harder but that could be due to the fact that his responsibility is less on offense than Malone's. I think you to watch the tape on Malone.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Obviously you did not take into account what teams both players played on. One plays a team where four players can be major options while Malone rarely had someone who would be a #2 option offensively.

All-NBA Defensive Team can be star status award and clearly if Al is on a team where he's the 4th option, there is a great chance we will not receive that recognition. In fact, Josh Smith a prime example of someone who doesn't receive he fair due defensively as he should.

Offensively, they are extremely similar. In fact, I watched 15-20 Jazz games within the last 6 months just picking up on Malone offensive ques. Their almost the same as Horford. Malone is more of a natural scorer, that's all I could take away from them on offense. Defense, they are the same except for Horford does try a lot harder but that could be due to the fact that his responsibility is less on offense than Malone's. I think you to watch the tape on Malone.

i don't need to watch tape on Malone. I saw him live. He was far stronger than Horford and could overpower guys down low. He didn't have any problem backing guys down and he sure didn't get backed down on defense.

Malone would easily be the first offensive option on this team.

Edited by exodus

i don't need to watch tape on Malone. I saw him live. He was far stronger than Marvin and could overpower guys down low. He didn't have any problem backing guys down and he sure didn't get backed down on defense.

Malone was far stronger in the back-end of his career, when he was younger, their neck and neck. Malone did have issue at times backing his defender down especially when younger. That's why he used the 15-18 ft jumper a lot. It make his opponents respect him and gameplan for him. So once again, Explain?

As for him being the #1 option, I really do not think so. You have to consider that it wouldn't fit the team structure especially since we already have a #1 and #2 at the time and needed a clean up man and a tough guy. The role for #1 was not available when Horford was drafted. If you put a 6th year, already proven Malone, I agree. His status would demand a change into the team's structure, something that a draft pick just can't do.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

i don't need to watch tape on Malone. I saw him live. He was far stronger than Marvin and could overpower guys down low. He didn't have any problem backing guys down and he sure didn't get backed down on defense.

Malone would easily be the undisputed first option on nearly every team.

Malone would easily be the undisputed first option on nearly every team.

Your going by what he's already proven. Like I stated, if he was drafted by this Hawks team, his role would be a lot different even if the talent is there in example to Horford.

Your going by what he's already proven. Like I stated, if he was drafted by this Hawks team, his role would be a lot different even if the talent is there in example to Horford.

Woodson is bad at coaching and developing talent, but not even he could hold Malone back. It's not like this is a knock on Horford, it's just Malone is the 2nd highest scorer in NBA history for a reason.

Woodson is bad at coaching and developing talent, but not even he could hold Malone back. It's not like this is a knock on Horford, it's just Malone is the 2nd highest scorer in NBA history for a reason.

Pick and roll PF who really never had a legit #2 option on most of his squads. What he had was one of the best play-makers ever (Stockton) and an elite coach in Sloan. There is a reason why Boozer who was a complimentary player with Cleveland and #2 round pick goes to Utah with Deron Williams (elite PG and play-maker) and becomes one of the best PF's in the NBA today. He's just a good player and very good pick and roll PF. Al Horford and is a very good player and an elite pick and roll player. Believe me, he have one of the best NBA players on this roster and do not even know it. It's like having Drew Brees with St. Louis Rams WR's and having him under center for the whole game. If you have elite talent (Utilize it!)

Al's ceiling is closer to Tim Duncan's floor than Karl Malone's, IMHO.

~lw3

I know that is this is disrespect post but my option on how much better Duncan is than Malone is a mile long. Another topic for another day.

• Like 1

Whatever drugs you are taking you need to stop. Malone was a career 25 ppg player on a perennial 50 win team. Horford is the 4th option on a worse team.

A better comparison is Amare. horford will never be as good a scorer as Amare. But if he patterns his game after Amare he could be an Amare light on offense. He is better on D and on the boards than amare.

Pick and roll PF who really never had a legit #2 option on most of his squads. What he had was one of the best play-makers ever (Stockton) and an elite coach in Sloan. There is a reason why Boozer who was a complimentary player with Cleveland and #2 round pick goes to Utah with Deron Williams (elite PG and play-maker) and becomes one of the best PF's in the NBA today. He's just a good player and very good pick and roll PF.

Boozer averaged 18 ppg in Utah in his 3rd season before Deron got there. He averages 19.5 now.

FAIL

Whatever drugs you are taking you need to stop. Malone was a career 25 ppg player on a perennial 50 win team. Horford is the 4th option on a worse team.

A better comparison is Amare. horford will never be as good a scorer as Amare. But if he patterns his game after Amare he could be an Amare light on offense. He is better on D and on the boards than amare.

There is a lot that goes into what you stated, your making silly flawed statements to prove your point. I can play this game watch.

Why do people think Duncan better than Garnett, just look at the stats. Duncan had a HOF in Robinson. That alone is why Garnett is better than Duncan. You can do that with Amare-Duncan, Kobe-TMac, and Paul Pierce-JJ. Please let's talk about skills, that's the one thing no one has brought up yet.

Post Offense

Post Defense

Passing

Mid Range (Sht)

Close

Deep

Three Pointers

Screen and Roll

Help Defense

Man Defense

Footwork

Strength

Court Vision

Ability to draw double coverage

etc...

Boozer averaged 18 ppg in Utah in his 3rd season before Deron got there. He averages 19.5 now.

FAIL

I was referring to his play on the court, not his stats. Plus check out his stats in his 1st full season with Deron. In fact he didn't not play a full season with Utah till Deron.

Career Season Totals

Year Team G GS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS

02-03 CLE 81 54 2,047 331-618 0-1 148-192 202 407 609 106 59 50 103 224 810

03-04 CLE 75 75 2,595 471-900 1-6 219-285 230 627 857 148 74 55 134 199 1,162

04-05 UTA 51 51 1,773 361-693 0-1 187-268 141 316 457 144 41 24 137 179 909

05-06 UTA 33 19 1,025 219-399 0-0 99-137 73 212 285 88 30 8 69 105 537

06-07 UTA 74 74 2,556 647-1,154 0-0 255-372 235 632 867 221 70 21 194 217 1,549

07-08 UTA 81 81 2,826 709-1,297 0-1 290-393 197 647 844 233 100 41 210 293 1,708

08-09 UTA 37 37 1,196 251-512 0-0 97-139 111 274 385 79 39 7 79 132 599

09-10 UTA 64 64 2,242 499-905 0-0 247-330 145 574 719 209 70 31 175 225 1,245

Career -- 496 455 16,264 3,488-6,478 1-9 1,542-2,116 1,334 3,689 5,023 1,228 483 237 1,101 1,574 8,519

Edited by nbasuperstar40

There is a lot that goes into what you stated, your making silly flawed statements to prove your point. I can play this game watch.

Why do people think Duncan better than Garnett, just look at the stats. Duncan had a HOF in Robinson. That alone is why Garnett is better than Duncan. You can do that with Amare-Duncan, Kobe-TMac, and Paul Pierce-JJ. Please let's talk about skills, that's the one thing no one has brought up yet.

Post Offense

Post Defense

Passing

Mid Range (Sht)

Close

Deep

Three Pointers

Screen and Roll

Help Defense

Man Defense

Footwork

Strength

Court Vision

Ability to draw double coverage

etc...

I was referring to his play on the court, not his stats.

Many of us saw Malone play for years. You didn't yet you pretend like you know his game. You are accomplishing nothing other than proving your ignorance, not that i needed more proof.

Boozer made a natural progression. He averaged 15.5 ppg in his second season playing with the Cavs. It was only natural that he would continue to get better. He didn't have a big jump in production when Deron got there.

Edited by exodus