• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mark Jackson may be a ok coach

JTB

Now I am for one shock to hear myself say this considering mark jackson has no coaching experince but after looking the man up and reading several comments about him, beilieve it or not but I honestly see more comments saying "I want Mark Jackson" than negative comments stating "No to Mark Jackson". I was torn but out of the 3 im for mark jackson give him a shot i was against it but i say what the hell none of these guys are proven atleast mark has a good resume as a player and was an outstanding PG who knew how to operate the floor. So ASG hire Mark Jackson Please!....

oh and to those who still say hell no to mark read this it might make you think or should make yo think more positive.Reading these comments made me learn and research more about Jackson and he's a pretty serious chracter, ignore the funny comments he may make on T.V. cause it's only entertainment. Also I can kinda see Mark reeling J.J. back to the hawks with no prob! unlike isiah thomas, the guy sounds like he has good things going for him besides just being a great PG at one time. (this is something "Masood" & "The Truth" posted on the AJC.com)

Masood comment:

Mark Jackson was a great point guard. Great point guards are an extension of their head coach on the floor. That trumps being an assistant coach. In order to be a great point guard, you have to always be aware of time, score, and situation. You also have to command respect and articulate what needs to be done to win — same as a coach. Jackson played under Rick Pitino, Pat Riley, Larry Brown, Lenny Wilkens and Jerry Sloan. He managed the egos of stars like Ewing, Reggie, Stockton and Malone, and hustled with role players like Oakley, Byron Russell and the Davis boys. He’s lead his teams to the Finals. None of the other candidates can say any of those things. Mark Jackson is the next Doc Rivers, and a perfect fit for what the Hawks need.

The Truth comment:

Among other things, Mark Jackson is also a licensed minister perhaps explain his authoritative voice. He’s also a “street-baller” at heart, which means he should have no problem in communicating with a wide variety of players. Furthermore, if the ASG is looking for a celebrity star, Mark Jackson (and his lovely wife, Desiree Coleman) will be hard to beat. The Truth can’t lie; he would be an intriguing selection, no doubt. However, with him as coach, everything depends on how well he surrounds himself with coaching talent. Regardless of who the Hawks eventual coach will be, our 53 wins (3rd seed) will likely experience a setback at least for while until an adjustment of a new coach is in place.

link:http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/06/10/atlanta-hawks-still-undecided-on-coach-asg-to-try-again-friday/comment-page-2/

Edited by JTB

He's someone I could see our locker room respecting. He comes across as an intelligent person on TV and was a fine basketball player in his day.

Also, he had the line of the night last night referring to Glen Davis' saliva spewing mouth. "He's doing what Big Babies do. Drooling." :lol6:

• Premium Member

Mark Jackson could be better than his brother Phil... but I could also win the lottery today... that doesn't mean that the odds aren't what they are.

As I think I hear mronline and Sekou suggesting, you can hire almost any experienced normal-Joe coach and get the same results, regardless, in 2010-11. If there is to be improvement, it's overwhelmingly going to come from roster/talent improvement.

I accept that premise. In fact, I've been touting that premise from the day Woody was fired.

HOWEVER... while a new coach won't likely make a very large difference to the progress of the team, there is EVERY possibility that the WRONG coach could take us down substantially.

Translation... this is no time for experimentation to see if you can hire a previous-unknown who is destined to be Hall-of-Fame coach. The risk vs. reward ratio simply does not justify hiring a Mark Jackson.

Edited by sturt