Gortat punk'd by Zaza in Eurobasket qualifying game

niremetal

• Premium Member

Way to go, Zaza! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2011.gameID_7663-C-2-1.html

Zaza: 26 pts, 8 rebs, and 2 assists in 27 minutes

Gortat: 10 pts, 3 rebs, and 1 assist in 28 minutes

Georgia (or Sakartvelo, as they call it in Tbilisi) routed Poland 84-65. The Polish Hammer got nailed.

I watched part of the game. Gortat looked as clueless about what to do against decent players in Europe as he does here in the States. I've always said that no one would even know Gortat's name if he weren't backing up a superstar. One game doesn't prove that, of course, but it's particularly satisfying to see Zaza crush him in what was a pretty significant game - one more win basically secures Georgia a place in Eurobasket 2011, which is the Olympic qualifying tournament.

Well done, Z!

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

one more win basically secures Georgia a place in Eurobasket 2011, which is the Olympic qualifying tournament.

What? That was the first game of that group, each team plays 8 games and they have to finish first or be one of the best 2nd placed teams, so one more win will not secure anything. ;)

• Premium Member

What? That was the first game of that group, each team plays 8 games and they have to finish first or be one of the best 2nd placed teams, so one more win will not secure anything. ;)

Whoops - right you are. I thought that was their second game and that it was 4 games in this round. Nm. Well, 1 down, 4ish to go...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sadly, Georgia just missed making it to the final round of Eurobasket:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.coid_Gq9QgCWaIk2xXuGnkUoQZ0.articleMode_on.html

The top two second place teams get wildcards to the next round. Georgia finished second in their Group at 5-3, which was the same W-L record of the two other second place teams. The tiebreaker, however, is point differential. On that front, Georgia fell short of the other two second place teams. C'est la vie.

At least Zaza played well, despite a couple bad games mid-tourney - he averaged 15.8ppg and 7.5rpg and played great D.

Way to go, Zaza! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2011.gameID_7663-C-2-1.html

Zaza: 26 pts, 8 rebs, and 2 assists in 27 minutes

Gortat: 10 pts, 3 rebs, and 1 assist in 28 minutes

Georgia (or Sakartvelo, as they call it in Tbilisi) routed Poland 84-65. The Polish Hammer got nailed.

I watched part of the game. Gortat looked as clueless about what to do against decent players in Europe as he does here in the States. I've always said that no one would even know Gortat's name if he weren't backing up a superstar. One game doesn't prove that, of course, but it's particularly satisfying to see Zaza crush him in what was a pretty significant game - one more win basically secures Georgia a place in Eurobasket 2011, which is the Olympic qualifying tournament.

Well done, Z!

I wouldn't draw conclusions from single game in which Gortat got 2 quick fouls.

In rematch in Poland:

Zaza: 8 (1/10 FG) pts, 7 rebs, and 0 blocks (0 in first game) in 32 minutes

Gortat: 17 pts, 8 rebs, and 4 blocks (2 in first game) in 35 minutes

Stats from 8 games:

Zaza: 15.8 (48% FG) pts, 7.5 rebs, and 0.5 blocks in 28 minutes

Gortat: 18 (65.5% FG) pts, 8.9 rebs, and 2.3 blocks in 35 minutes

Edited by tremor