• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Inside the Mind of Josh Smith

curtmcgirt

So I'm not a psychiatrist, but I have seen a lot of Bones episodes and have picked up a few things. I think I can finally diagnose Smoove's specific brand of insanity.

First lets look at the symptoms.

• Insistence on ballhandling
  • Camping out on the perimeter.
  • Shot selection more than 10 feet from the goal.
  • His dunks
  • His blocks
  • His steals.

We all know our issue with the first three, so lets look at the second three. I know we all look at his dunks, blocks and steals and think YES this is what we want from Josh. But I think there is another more telling statistic; rebounds. Over his career Josh has averaged 7.7 rebounds per game. Because of where Josh plays on offense only 2.1 of those are offensive rebounds. I think the key to Josh lies here. With his size and skill shouldn't Josh average between 10-12 rebounds a night?

My theory is that Josh doesn't realize how tall he is. He know's he's 6'9", but he thinks of himself as 6'4 or so. He's the Great Dane that think's he's a lap dog. His rebounding and shot selection are no different from a really good swing man. The problem is Josh isn't a swing man.His body and skills don't mesh. Now this helps us in some ways. In his own head, Josh thinks his dunks and blocks are even more spectacular than they already are. But his offensive tendencies lead me to think that in his head he's a 2 or 3 not a 5.

Any thoughts?

He's not an idiot. That's insulting. Just because someone plays a game differently than others want him to play, doesn't make him an idiot. It makes him a coaches headache. That's what Josh is. Just like we deal with headaches, LD deals with Josh. He's a major part of this team, and we're doing pretty well right now. The 3-11 shooting last night was bad, but he made plays in the 4th that got us a big win. Isn't that part of the bigger picture?

• Like 2

He's not an idiot. That's insulting. Just because someone plays a game differently than others want him to play, doesn't make him an idiot. It makes him a coaches headache. That's what Josh is. Just like we deal with headaches, LD deals with Josh. He's a major part of this team, and we're doing pretty well right now. The 3-11 shooting last night was bad, but he made plays in the 4th that got us a big win. Isn't that part of the bigger picture?

If the slowest guy on a baseball team consistently tries to steal 2nd and gets thrown out 90% of the time that would make him an idiot. Josh Smith consistently takes and misses outside jumpers........

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Josh suffers from what i would call " Bitchassness"

The great dane Theory is interesting, but it misses the main elements. I watched last year's playoffs. Milwaukee became confident that they could make Josh do what they wanted him to do by becoming more physical. So they put Kurt Thomas and Illyasova on him and told them to do as much physical stuff to him as they could. What happened ,Josh got out of the paint. Same thing in last year's Orlando series. For Best Friends, Dwight Howard knows how to beat the holy hell out of Smoove. Last yr, you saw Smoove just quit on the court.

Horf is not so soft and Zaza is a freaking warrior. However Josh is what we would call a finesse Foward. Why else would somebody who is shooting below 20% from three keep chucking them? He believes that he's entitled to a foul call everytime he's touched. If he don't get it, it's almost like he cries ont he court.

When we get to the ECF against Miami, there are no bigs in sight. Bosh suffers from the same bitchassness that Josh does. So we have a strong chance of winning the East.

• Like 1

Someone should do a montage of Josh Smith's facial expressions after he doesn't get the foul calls he (thinks he) deserves. Sometimes, it is like he is literally about to fall on the ground crying and pounding his arms and legs down uncontrollably.

Edited by Eddielives

If the slowest guy on a baseball team consistently tries to steal 2nd and gets thrown out 90% of the time that would make him an idiot. Josh Smith consistently takes and misses outside jumpers........

Yet he's still playing major minutes. Why?

Because he means that much to the team. He's going to keep doing what he's doing, and he's going to keep playing....so we might as well accept it and stop bitching about it and calling him names.

• Like 1