• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was the game more enjoyable before you knew cap figures, PER, and Salary info?

HawkItus

The cat is out of the bag and there is no going back, but sometimes I wish I did not know as much as a I do know about this team. I wish I didn't know how much Joe or Marvin was making. I wish I didn't have PER or Usage etc. to pound me in the head when my eyes can tell me enough. I don't want to know we are in cap hell or that the trade I'm dreaming of is really a pipe dream because it would never work under the CBA. I hate what stat geeks and reporters have done to being fans. Sometimes I feel like we get told too much. It's like going to the movies and having every scene get a pop-up to show you how much shooting it cost. Or that the action hero is really only 5'5 and 160 pounds so the camera angle is shot to make him look bigger. Sometimes it is great to just enjoy the show.

• Like 1

Nothing prevents the fans from just enjoying the show but when the same fans want to say or downright demand to know "why don't we get Kobe?" or say that a player could be top 10 all time based on a few plays they've seen then knowing all of the statistical and/or business aspects of the game can come in handy. I personally take more pleasure in knowing more details about movies and sports because it allows me to better appreciate when I see a good one constructed.

• Like 1

Agree with CTC. Not knowing this information makes you look a damn fool.

This kind of reminds me of the thermos joke. "How do it know?"

• Premium Member

I think us knowing salary details has made us much more critical of players. For instance, the first time I paid attention to salaries was when Jon Koncak got the big contract from the Hawks. I know that I became more critical of Koncak because he was making Pat Ewing money (at the time). However, it made it hard to really judge what a player brought to their team.

The real question is... does FAcy ruin the game?

im in the minority here . i dont really care what players get paid. i just want them to perform up to their potential. example...marvin williams ....the only contract i was kind of mad at was joe johnsons and only because i wish he would of taken less to stay here and help us get more depth but hey...who does that

• Like 1

Not sure what the Thermos joke is,

:newrussian:

Good old country boy is told: When you put something hot, like coffee, in this, it will come out hot.

If you put something cold inside, like iced tea, it will come out cold.

Looking at the Thurmos, he said, "That's great it's so smart. But, how does it know?"

:mail:

• Moderators

Good old country boy is told: When you put something hot, like coffee, in this, it will come out hot.

Looking at the Thurmos, he said, "That's great it's so smart. But, how does it know?"

I knew someone would come through!

:drinks:

Well me knowing the cap rules and figures does not take away from my enjoyment of the game but it does make me less sympathetic for these owners. They simply don't practice good business judgement in too many cases

Exactly, I knew I wouldn't have to worry about saying the joke. And I'm not at all surprised that GM would come through with it.