NBA Lockout

EazyRoc

Read an article on ESPN about the terms the owners are proposing. Let me preface the following by letting everyone that I supported the NFL players in their lockout. However, NBA players are being greedy and are going to have to give up somethings to make the NBA function better. Only like 7 teams in the past 20 years have won championships, and I think a hard cap would help with that. It could, theoretically, distribute talent equally throughout the league.

• Moderators

Given the impact of a star in the NBA (compared to MLB or NFL where the best player in the league gives you a winning record in the NBA even with junk while the best player in those sports with junk gets you the #1 pick), I don't think you'll ever see "even" distribution of talent. I expect this will stretch into the November/December timeframe before things start getting serious because that is when the economic pressure on the players who were responsible enough to save some money will start ramping up. The players aren't hurting right now and aren't going to move and the owners aren't going to move now, at a time of relative weakness. It isn't real exciting.

I'm a little more optimistic this week then I was before. The talk of lawsuits is simmering down and now we are hearing about REAL bargaining sessions being held and not mud slinging contests. There is going to be a real effort to get things done. Not necessarily saying that I think there will be major progress but at least they are going to make an attempt.

I too would like to see more parity but let's not forget that this past cba saw 5 champs in 6 seasons.

2006-Miami

2007-San Antonio

2008-Boston

2009-Lakers

2010-Lakers

2011-Dallas

• Moderators

I'm a little more optimistic this week then I was before. The talk of lawsuits is simmering down and now we are hearing about REAL bargaining sessions being held and not mud slinging contests. There is going to be a real effort to get things done. Not necessarily saying that I think there will be major progress but at least they are going to make an attempt.

I too would like to see more parity but let's not forget that this past cba saw 5 champs in 6 seasons.

2006-Miami

2007-San Antonio

2008-Boston

2009-Lakers

2010-Lakers

2011-Dallas

San Antonio won 1 of its 4 Duncan championships. The Lakers won two of their 5 Kobe championships. Miami, Dallas and Boston made multiple finals appearances during this time and won one championship each.

This was a period of diversity for the NBA but still was a period of champions that were exclusively repeat finalists.