• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gamecocks in trouble with NCAA

coachx

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110920/SPORTS0203/109200334/1133/SPORTS0105/Big-12-gives-Oklahoma--Texas-OK-to-seek-new-conference

South Carolina in trouble

The NCAA has accused South Carolina athletes of receiving $55,000 worth of impermissible benefits and recruiting inducements for getting reduced hotel rates and for their involvement with a Delaware-based mentoring organization.

The NCAA sent university President Harris Pastides the letter of allegations Monday and requested the school's response by Dec. 14.

Coach Steve Spurrier was among those asked to meet with the NCAA's Committee on Infractions in Los Angeles on Feb. 17-18. Track coach Curtis Frye also was asked to attend.

The NCAA began its investigation at South Carolina in the summer of 2010, talking to former tight end Weslye Saunders about potential contact with agents during a trip to Miami. Instead, the NCAA found Saunders was among several athletes who lived at the Whitney Hotel for a reduced rate.

The NCAA said 10 football players stayed at the hotel at a rate of $14.59 a day. It found two members of the women's track team lived there at a rate of $14.16 per day. It said those rates were not available to the general public and gave athletes extra benefits worth $47,000.

I have been hearing about this since about 2009, took the NCAA until summer 2010 to start looking in and now they start to draw conclusions? What an awful process, although this is becoming a running theme for the NCAA.

It seems the NCAA doesn't have the personnel to follow all the violations in a timely manner. Thus, we get these drawn out investigations. As far as infractions go, this one seems pretty small. I don't think USC has too much to worry about unless they pull at Tech and violate the NCAA's instructions on how to handle the investigation.

It seems the NCAA doesn't have the personnel to follow all the violations in a timely manner. Thus, we get these drawn out investigations. As far as infractions go, this one seems pretty small. I don't think USC has too much to worry about unless they pull at Tech and violate the NCAA's instructions on how to handle the investigation.

Selling a game jersey is pretty petty and warranted a 4 game suspension for AJ Green. UGA lost that game to South Carolina last season. Mean while, South Carolina was able to use players guilty of a far worse offense all season long.

Getting to live in nicer living quarters, for a 75% discount, totaling thousands of dollars seems far more serious to in my eyes then getting a tattoo or selling a game jersey. Any game these players played in should be forfieted. On top of everything the extended stay hotel is owned by a USC booster.

Edited by coachx

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Agreed, hawksfanatic. Spurrier could not have come across weaker on discipline on this if he tried. The fact that the finally pulled Garcia after replacing him as the starting QB actually looks much worse for Spurrier than if Garcia had gotten the boot 3 weeks ago.

• 2 months later...

South Carolina met with the NCAA yesterday and these are the self imposed punishments they put forth as they relate to football:

- 3 years of football probation (not eligible for post season)

- Loss of 6 scholarships over a 3 year period in a 1/3/2 format.

- Reduction in recruiting visits from 56 down to 30 per season over each of the next 3 seasons.

- Vacating wins in 2009 and 2010 season when 9 ineligible players were playing.

Seems safe to assume Steve Spurrier will retire rather then face this punishment, at his age. Def Corrdinator, Ellis Johnson, sees the writing on the wall and is interviewed with Southern Mississippi yesterday for their head coaching vacany and is on Auburn's short list to be their next defensive corrdinator too.

Down goes the Gamecock ship ! Abandon the ship ! Abandon ship !

Edited by coachx

I didn't see a post-season ban for the Cocks, just probation. They were recently on probation for three years following a 2005 investigation of Lou Holtz's shady program (ok not that shady but I still get a chuckle reading this: http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2142588).

Spurrier just signed a two year extension with knowledge of this being a potential issue. I don't see him retiring any time soon. I do find it hilarious that they will have to vacate wins in 2009 and 2010, say goodbye to their second "championship"! (2010 SEC East Division, who the f*** puts that up as an accomplishment in your stadium?)

This is what Rivals is reporting:

Proposed punishments

USC does not dispute that the allegations are true, but is satisfied that no employee or individual involved in the investigation knowingly broke NCAA rules. That being said, it is offering its own punishments.

Loss of football scholarships -- A total of six over the next three years. USC can carry 84 players in 2012, 82 in 2013 and 83 in 2014. USC will lose three scholarships in 2013 and 2014. No recruit currently offered a scholarship will have it rescinded. USC currently has 20 verbal commitments for the class of 2012, with a maximum of 25.

Reduction of official visits -- In football and track & field. The maximum number allowed in football is 56; USC is offering to stop them at 30 for the 2012-13 academic year. Track & field visits will be reduced to 50.

$18,500 fine -- As a result of The Whitney investigation, USC learned that four student-athletes competed during the 2009 season while ineligible. It is offering the fine to placate the NCAA (as opposed to, presumably, vacating wins).

Three years of probation -- For football and track & field.

It is not specific but since they list 3 years probations seperate from all the other puishments I assmed that meant the traditional post season ban form of probation to go on top of the scolarship and recruiting visit limitations.

I'm probably wrong but see nothing specific.

I was wrong on the vacating wins part. When I 1st read it I thought USC would freely give up some wins but now I see they will fight for those wins. USC thinks $18,500 is enough of a fine to prevent them from vacating wins in 2009 and 2010 when they played 9 ineligible players. I say BS !

Repeat Violators get harsher punishment. Since USC was last on probation in 2005, these occurences began in 2009, they fall into the 5 year window which defines "Repeat Violators."

Edited by coachx

I don't think there is any postseason ban component of this as others have mentioned.

Your probably right but I would like to know what the 3 years of probation would then include that was not already covered.

The guy who did the article is a Gamecock homer.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I think it is being used as a fancy term for "slap on the wrist".

Exactly. It really just means that if you do something again soon we reserve the right to hammer you a little harder. On its own, it doesn't mean anything.

Exactly. It really just means that if you do something again soon we reserve the right to hammer you a little harder. On its own, it doesn't mean anything.

I do not doubt that your interpretation of USC's intent is spot on.

However, I think the NCAA will have a different version, then USC, of probation.

Heck, Ga. Tech lost an ACC championship for peanuts compared to what USC got caught doing.

I expect the NCAA to increase the football scholarship penalty from 6 to the 8 - 10 range as well as stripping USC of their SEC East Title. USC's attempt to not lose any wins by paying a $18,500 fine is a joke too. The NCAA should both fine them and take wins away.

When 9 players are living in a "luxury hotel" the coaching staff has to be aware of that much more then they are letting on......then you have more little petty stuff on top of that.

Ellis Johnson just took the Southern Miss HC job.

Don't be suprised of Spurrier's if 1st call is to Ron Zook..........his old defensive coordinator and the guy who replaced him as HC at UF.

and wheel goes round and round.

Edited by coachx