• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rondo on the Trading Block: Should We Pick Him Up?

Robdawg

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7631850/sources-boston-celtics-aggressively-trying-trade-guard-rajon-rondo

The Boston Celtics are aggressively trying to trade Rajon Rondo, their fourth-leading scorer and one of the NBA's best point guards, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

The Celtics find Rondo's personality to be too high-maintenance and his clashes with coach Doc Rivers remain an off-court distraction, sources told Broussard, and the front office is now actively pitching him to other teams. With the Celtics realizing they are no longer title contenders, they don't believe his point guard prowess is worth the headaches Rondo brings, sources say. And they do not want to build around him.

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause.

The potential trade is still being discussed by Boston's braintrust, but they aren't sure they want to go forward with it. It also isn't clear whether the Warriors would be willing to do it. Other players would have to be thrown in to make it work financially.

Danny Ainge acknowledged earlier this season that Rondo's name came up in trade talks when the Celtics tried to acquire Chris Paul from the Hornets, but he said he wasn't shopping Rondo per se and that his name came up only because Ainge was trying to add a player of Paul's caliber.

"I was not trying to trade Rajon Rondo," Ainge told Boston sports radio WEEI in January. "There's a big difference between trying to acquire a player and trying to trade a player."

If the Celtics are now actively shopping Rondo, it would seem to be a change of course.

Rondo, 26, was suspended for two games earlier in February for throwing a ball at an official and striking him in the chest during a loss in Detroit. He played in only 22 games during the first half of the season because of both the suspension and a sprained right wrist injury.

Rondo had his third triple-double of the season (15 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists) in the Celtics' 102-96 win over the Milwaukee Bucks on Wednesday, one night after he was held scoreless (with 11 assists) in a win at Cleveland.

When I first saw this on ESPN I nearly screamed because he is one of the BEST PG's in the league. Then I remembered what the asking price would be so who knows if the ASG would even think about a trade of this magnitude. Rondo does have some temper issues but if we could get him down here we would finally have that true PG that we have so desperately lacked. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

http://espn.go.com/b...ard-rajon-rondo

When I first saw this on ESPN I nearly screamed because he is one of the BEST PG's in the league. Then I remembered what the asking price would be so who knows if the ASG would even think about a trade of this magnitude. Rondo does have some temper issues but if we could get him down here we would finally have that true PG that we have so desperately lacked. Thoughts?

A storied franchise like the Celtics are willing to move him because he's a problem child. What do you think happens when he goes to a less successful franchise?

Sure we could send them Teague and Horf (that's probably what they'd ask for).. then we'd have Josh and Rondo on the same team... at one time a dream, but now...

A storied franchise like the Celtics are willing to move him because he's a problem child. What do you think happens when he goes to a less successful franchise?

Sure we could send them Teague and Horf (that's probably what they'd ask for).. then we'd have Josh and Rondo on the same team... at one time a dream, but now...

OK...

So here's the deal...

Horf/Teague for Rondo/J.Oneal.

They get two young studs to revive their program.

We get Rondo and Oneal for a championship chase...

On top of that, next year, Oneal's 6 Million comes off the books.

However,

How far does:

Rondo, Joe, Marvin, Smoove, and Oneal go?

I mean, your totally right there but at the same time this is probably gonna be the closest we get to a star PG for the next couple of years. I'm not saying trade for him right away but possibly explore the option. Last thing we need is a team with a player like TO.

By the way: I realize that this doesn't directly involve the hawks but I thought it would be a good idea to discuss his involvement on our team so I wasn't completly sure where to put this topic. If it's in the wrong thread I apologize and please move it.

It's a pipe dream thinking the ASG could acquire a player of his caliber, but I've never been too big on the cat. Great overall effect on the game and a low-scoring triple-double waiting to happen, but I just could never embrace a PG who cannot knock down open mid-range jumpers consistently. That's an old-school fundamental requirement and a huge basic flaw in his game that will prevent him from ever being a complete player. I think his wingspan and body proportions just won't allow him to ever be good in that area.