• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ibaka resigns with Thunder

gurpilo

Guest Walter

What did I tell you in the other thread Walter? REAL FRANCHISES aren't scared off by the Luxury Tax. Especially a franchise that just made the NBA Finals. OKC has just seen the Lakers load up to beat THEM. That's what all of that extra firepower they brought in was intended to do . . . beat the Thunder . . then beat the Heat in the Finals. So you think OKC is going to blink, just because they're afraid of the tax penalties they may have to pay 3 years from now? No. They're in a WIN NOW mode. If Harden improves even more than he did last year, they're going to pay that dude, and hope he wants to stay. OKC will deal with the Luxury Tax implications when they get to a critical point. But as of right now, that team is a heartbeat away from a NBA title, and they're going to do everything in their power to get that ring . . . even if it cost them a few ( or 10 ) million in tax penalties to do it.

Real franchises haven't faced the prospect of the new CBA's LT penalty. OKC With $44 mil paying for 3 players (sans Harden) and Perkin's roughly $8 million = $52 million then Harden's 25% of the salary cap max of $14.5 mil (and if you are going to pay Ibaka $12-13 mil then Harden should expect $14.5) it comes to $66.5. That is brutal for 5 players. You've got another $6 from Collison and Aldrich. $4 mil for Thabo. $2 mill for Perry and Thabeet. $78.5 mil for 10 players. So, let's say $80 million for the whole roster (I'm assuming they don't give a QO to Maynor. If they do that's another $3.4 million.). At the $1.5 per $1 over the tax that's a $15 million if not $20 mil tax penalty. Is OKC (formerly Seattle) a "REAL FRANCHISE"? I guess we'll find out. W

Guest Walter

At the $1.5 per $1 over the tax that's a $15 million if not $20 mil tax penalty.

I tried to edit my old post but it wouldn't let me. Truth is the rate for each $5 mil over the LT is x1.5, 1.75, and 2.5 per $1 respectively over SO... That's actually $16.75 to roughly $25 million in LT payments they would be subject to, and if we front load any deal for Harden (say $18 mil the 1st year) that is $21 million without even a QO for Maynor. Ouch. W