• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Exciting renovations nearby Phlips

frankthetank966

Seems like the Hawks are moving fast this off season to build their image. They replaced the non functional clock on Marietta St. and Philips (old Golden Buddah location) with a digital screen listing upcoming hawks games. I'm excited to see the outcome of the project. So far it's been impressive. It appears as though may be writing ATL HAWKS across the building.

Did anyone else check out the other links on the Site about other projects coming to the city? The one that really caught my attention was MMPT which is essentially a union station or grand central Station that would be placed in the '' Gulch '' the big empty space between Phillips arena and five points station. They have some concept art available and it looks pretty impressive. It's about time Atlanta has got there own major transit station and it's all that's to... President Barack Obama! Also check out the plans for by building a rockafeller center type area in the city as well. Sounds like more jobs if you ask me.

Did anyone else check out the other links on the Site about other projects coming to the city? The one that really caught my attention was MMPT which is essentially a union station or grand central Station that would be placed in the '' Gulch '' the big empty space between Phillips arena and five points station. They have some concept art available and it looks pretty impressive. It's about time Atlanta has got there own major transit station and it's all that's to... President Barack Obama! Also check out the plans for by building a rockafeller center type area in the city as well. Sounds like more jobs if you ask me.

Link?

Link?

The links on the Hudson grill Page have gone but if you Google MMPT atlanta you will see the station plans or you could search YouTube for MMPT concept art a, b, and c if you want to skip the box bg bits. I meant if you want to skip the boring bits

Cool, that would explain why I could not cut through the Gulch to get to the Clemson-Auburn game last month. Using that land as a big parking deck was certainly a waste, I am not sure how this is supposed to connect Atlanta though. Going from 5 points to GWCC/Dome/Philips on the MARTA is already a really short ride, this would make it shorter. Unless they plan on sprawling out more within the city, I just do not see how this really helps with mass transportation.http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationcenter/p3/projects/mmpt/Pages/default.aspxI am looking through this web page for some concrete ideas about how this will transform the public transportation in Atlanta but all I see are buzz words that do not contain any action. It will be located close to railroad tracks, but those appear to be freight lines and you cannot simply put public transportation over those. You cannot even put Amtrak trains on those, freight railroads only operate with cargo transportation and no passengers. So they will have to build entirely new rails for mass transit, the Amtrak line does not even come within two miles of The Gulch is so I do not know why they keep making mention of that.

Cool, that would explain why I could not cut through the Gulch to get to the Clemson-Auburn game last month. Using that land as a big parking deck was certainly a waste, I am not sure how this is supposed to connect Atlanta though. Going from 5 points to GWCC/Dome/Philips on the MARTA is already a really short ride, this would make it shorter. Unless they plan on sprawling out more within the city, I just do not see how this really helps with mass transportation. http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationcenter/p3/projects/mmpt/Pages/default.aspx I am looking through this web page for some concrete ideas about how this will transform the public transportation in Atlanta but all I see are buzz words that do not contain any action. It will be located close to railroad tracks, but those appear to be freight lines and you cannot simply put public transportation over those. You cannot even put Amtrak trains on those, freight railroads only operate with cargo transportation and no passengers. So they will have to build entirely new rails for mass transit, the Amtrak line does not even come within two miles of The Gulch is so I do not know why they keep making mention of that.

Good question. I had similar ones that's why I began looking for some further info. On YouTube there is about an hour long video... I know it sounds longs but it's of a community meeting explaining the concept of the the station and how it will affect pubic transportation through the city and Georgia. You can skip through there introduction stuff and get right to the presentation. Personally concept B is my favorite but C is really starting to grow on me

Also I forgot to tell you that what I got from the video was, that the station isn't about connecting five points to Phillips and cnn center but more about the city entirely. Five pints is just so close it would be beneficial to integrate it right into the plans. Seems to be a good idea if you ask me and it allows for a larger and more productive station. It really can me massive.

• Moderators

The Terminal has a ways to go, and while it's an underdog site, the alternative Falcons stadium siting nearby has the potential to delay those plans, too. The lack of regional money to operate any new passenger rail lines servicing understandably slows the progress as well, as will "what to do about Amtrak" (they've been seeking a new terminal in the region; a modified CSX/Norfolk Southern interchange north of that spot near Marietta Street would likely allow that terminal to be the MMPT). As hawksfanatic noted, they would have to operate on separate tracks in the freight rail corridor feeding into the MMPT, OR work out a time-separation deal with the RRs). Perhaps in time for Playoffs 2014 (they're saying late 2013, but I'm not buying that) we'll have the Streetcar two blocks away. That was stimulus money, too. GSU students and the Ptree-International crowd will like the two-block walk from the Park to the Arena. http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_files/docs/atlanta_streetcar_route_8_12.pdf Rode by a couple weeks ago and was happy to see the Hudson Grille coming up! ~lw3

Gaballa is this the video you are referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoKVEC5hJgMaybe this will clear up my questions, I am just skeptical of what is going on because I do not see anything concrete. I can't stand the words "revitalize" and "green" and "transform"...they just don't mean anything to me.Thanks for the streetcar link lw3, is this a firm plan or are they still considering proposals? That looks like a real interesting idea, not sure it aleviates any traffic but that isn't the aim. I don't know enough about the GSU area to know the impact this could have.Oh and a happy birthday to lw3!

• Moderators

Gaballa is this the video you are referring to: http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoKVEC5hJg

Maybe this will clear up my questions, I am just skeptical of what is going on because I do not see anything concrete. I can't stand the words "revitalize" and "green" and "transform"...they just don't mean anything to me.

Thanks for the streetcar link lw3, is this a firm plan or are they still considering proposals? That looks like a real interesting idea, not sure it aleviates any traffic but that isn't the aim. I don't know enough about the GSU area to know the impact this could have.

Oh and a happy birthday to lw3!

Thank you! Libras represent! Posted Image

No tracks have been laid down yet, but utility relocation is underway on the east side (King Center, Auburn Ave, Edgewood Ave).

Construction updates and info are at: http://www.atlantadowntown.com/initiatives/atlanta-streetcar

The east-west loop was part of a larger network that would run north-south along Ptree (Downtown-to-Midtown, with future extensions north to Buckhead and south to West End/Fort MacPherson). Because the fed funding source was stimulus money, a one-time shot that "shovel ready" projects had to compete quickly for, the downtown business district was ready to work with the City and MARTA to get that piece of the puzzle going, particularly with business district assessments to help operate the thing.

I'm sure it won't be popular regionally among residents at first, since it's mostly hitting the touristy spots (King Center's a surprisingly big draw on an annual basis). But the GSU kids and the Grady Hospital area and Park/Convention/Arena/Museum workers will like it as it gets them closer to their destinations (no more schlepping it up those big hills to get to Peachtree Center, for example), and it should build momentum for a line at least from Downtown-to-Arts Center in a few more years. In the absence of regional funding (a referendum got slapped down this summer, maybe they'll try again in a couple years), the trick will be getting enough business district fees in Midtown and Downtown to operate it, so it won't impact MARTA heavy rail and bus fares.

Not sure what the deal was with the Gulch parking area being closed off, but I doubt it was for the Terminal. They're still in preliminary design with that thing. There is a walkway connecting the 5 Points area to the Arena/Dome area. Maybe reconstruction/utility relocation along the Spring Street viaduct had the walkway closed off while you were visiting but I'm not sure about that.

~lw3

• Moderators

Aside: I lost my original link from yesterday, but Taco Mac will probably be among the finalists for ESPN's Best Sports Bar in North America competition. Locals know the original one is in the Virginia-Highland neighborhood (a former taco stand, which is where the name came from), but as many of you know their downtown bar is adjacent to Philips Arena and accessible during Hawks games. http://tacomac.com/2012/09/28/espns-best-sports-bar-in-north-america/ (if you're so inclined to vote, I think semifinal voting is only up for another half hour... click "Vote Now", then pick the third option -- the text doesn't show well on my computer but it's Taco Mac's). ~lw3

• Moderators

Aside: I lost my original link from yesterday, but Taco Mac will probably be among the finalists for ESPN's Best Sports Bar in North America competition. Locals know the original one is in the Virginia-Highland neighborhood (a former taco stand, which is where the name came from), but as many of you know their downtown bar is adjacent to Philips Arena and accessible during Hawks games. http://tacomac.com/2...-north-america/ (if you're so inclined to vote, I think semifinal voting is only up for another half hour... click "Vote Now", then pick the third option -- the text doesn't show well on my computer but it's Taco Mac's). ~lw3

Taco Mac among the 5 finalists, poll @ http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/poll?collectionId=8453136&sportAbbrev=wireless&hcId=8292292&topId=null&wjb= ~lw3