• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The (Not So) Amazing Spiderman

AHF

• Moderators

I just wanted to share my disappointment with this flick. I was excited when my wife brought it home from the library since I liked the leads in other roles and thought the preview looked promising (even if it is probably too soon for another Spiderman origin story). I can't point my finger at the casting on this one since I thought the actors were fine and reasonable fits, however the visuals ranged from fine to cheesy and the script was crap. I could go into some detail but I will just say that it struggled with tone (characters ranged from relate-able to goofy depending on the scene), had repeated facepalm moments (did they really just do that or deliver that line of dialogue...ugh), had repeated logic holes, and left both my wife and I a bit chagrined that we were actually taking the time to finish watching this. By the end of the movie, the only people who hadn't seen Spiderman with his mask off were the kids asleep upstairs.

It is unusual to have a movie where I seriously don't like it but feel like all the pieces were there for a good movie but the script utterly failed on this one. I just felt like CGI'ing Stone into the other Spiderman movies as an upgrade to the love interest and burying this failed franchise restart.

Anyone else see this and have an opinion?

I had a pretty poor view of this coming into it simply because it's far too soon to do a reboot and they weren't even changing the story much and vastly failed to deliver on the promise that we'd learn things that weren't in the other series. For me the original cast was far better than this cast, although I do like the actors from this cast in other movies. But yeah this was far from amazing and I hope they won't make another one.

• Moderators

For me the original cast was far better than this cast, although I do like the actors from this cast in other movies.

I don't think this cast was that bad but I agree the other was better in every role but the MJ/Gwen Stacey love interest. I thought the original series dropped the ball on that (taking a spirited character and turning her into a wet blanket). It is hard to top Tobey Maguire since he so perfectly delivered the awkward/nerdy side of the character along with credible 'superhero' scenes.

they weren't even changing the story much and vastly failed to deliver on the promise that we'd learn things that weren't in the other series.

This was a big flop. The previews made it look like the focus was going to be on a storyline with his parents but that was barely a part of the movie. You are right that there was way too much retreading waters without a new direction.

Just a total fail on script.

I don't think this cast was that bad but I agree the other was better in every role but the MJ/Gwen Stacey love interest. I thought the original series dropped the ball on that (taking a spirited character and turning her into a wet blanket). It is hard to top Tobey Maguire since he so perfectly delivered the awkward/nerdy side of the character along with credible 'superhero' scenes.

This was a big flop. The previews made it look like the focus was going to be on a storyline with his parents but that was barely a part of the movie. You are right that there was way too much retreading waters without a new direction.

Just a total fail on script.

I really liked Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane but I'm a big fan of hers! Plus the wet t-shirt scene pretty much "had me at hello" with her from there on out. And with regard to the new movie, I like Emma Stone, but I think she's been in too much lately and I'm a bit worn out on her.