• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So, after three games with JT at the point...

Watchman

would I have any takers on trading JT and CC to Golden State for Nick Van Exel? This will work as far as salary cap according to Real GM.

JT certainly has talent, but exhibits poor decision making skills over and over again. Poor coaching strategy may contribute, but to stand out on the perimeter and dribble until the inevitable steal and fast break layup takes place is just unfathomable to me.

I have never really noticed many PG's in the league that can't learn from previous mistakes the way that JT seems to. I really can't comprehend why he can't figure out what it is that he keeps doing wrong.

As to the coaching, we still stand around on offense waiting for someone to go one on one, or JT & SAR to run the pick and roll. We still only rarely have any movement without the ball, and when players do move without the ball, they are not rewarded for their efforts.

I certainly wanted us to re-sign JT, and I'm glad that we did. I hope that he will begin to learn from his mistake, but if not, perhaps we could trade him for someone else; someone who has a clue about what running the offense is all about.

I don't have a problem with PGs that score, I do have a problem with PGs that make stupid decisions late in the game over and over again, and never learn from them.

Watchman,

How long would we have Nick Van Exel is the question?

He would bring fire and the proper ability to run an effective offense.... but he is also has to be on the verge of 35 years old.

I am not so sure that he could be effective for an entire year, much less multiple years.

Give me Van Excel at 28-30, and it is a done deal. But I don't know if he can run the point now.

Play.

That's not that old. However, I'm not saying it's got to be NVE, I just never recalled NVE being careless with the ball. He has similar offensive skills to JT. I frankly wish JT would wake up and start playing with some brains, but I've been looking for that for the last three years.

and just run the team, run plays...and realize that most teammates will be happiest with winning. I think JT has been far to prone to defer to other players, thinking that they'll make smart decisions...

but they arent' the pg's...he is. He can't defer to them all the time...the court isn't the time for friendships...he can be a great teammate and friend in the lockerroom and after hours, but on the court he's got to say, I'm going to control the ball.

Someone wrote that JT needs to learn to play better without the ball...I wholeheartedly disagree. He needs to dominate the ball more, handing if off only when other players are in position to score or plays are falling apart...

seriously, watch the Suns, see how Steph plays. He'll hand the ball off to a player (off a screen) after not seeing something develop in the motion offense...and that player, if they don't have a shot, will generally hand the ball right back to him as Starbury curled back around to help out....it's not what you call a "typical pg," but it's how to pg in the motion offense...and Starbury dominates the ball, but others score plenty, and get all star status (pf and sf). That's the model JT should most look to.

Weez,

I don't know if JT can play like that. I don't think he can see the floor like Marbury.

I do agree that he brings friendships onto the court and tries to defer FAR too much.

He just isn't a PG. We, the team, and JT himself need to realize it. I think Stotts has. I have noticed that JT is being used less and less as a PG in situations and Dion et al. are being utilized as the initiators.

JT is prospering offensively because of this.

We just have to realize that we live and die with Reef. We need to feed him, whether he is on or not. He causes the defense to react, which opens the rest of the team.

Play.

But if he doesn't want to be here, or wherever he is, he pouts and plays for numbers. He never was a pg in the same sense that JT isn't...and his knees are creaky. He's out for several more weeks yet...it's just a bad fit for so many reasons.

so no to NVE. I hope he goes to NY.

• Premium Member

I think it's very evident to everyone what's up.

I think that the coaching staff has figured out that JT is not a PG. Look at the times that Dion is actually running the offense? Look at the times, we run sets whereby the PG is not important. I think that's the main reason why we brought Armond Hill to the Staff. He played in a system that didn't depend on a PG. Lots of Backdoor cuts and passes that were not intiated by the point.

I don't know if JT can be traded this year. I have my doubts that he could be. However, I think our plan is to play him exactly how he prefers to be played... As an OG.

I don't disagree with this reasoning. JT's lack of court vision is instrumental in this move. What I have preached all summer is still true.. JT is a SG with PG size. Let's hope that Dion's aptitude is able to outshine JT's inaptitude.

For the time being, I think yo'ure fine hoping for Dion to run the offense at times...but I think longterm we've got two real options...either trade JT (which I dont' want to do, but for the franchise might be the better move) or hope for the development/come to depend on DI...aw...see you had the first two letters right...