• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN proposes a Hawk/Celtic trade.and I threw up in my mouth a little bit

HawkItus

This is just horrible. I cheer for all things Atlanta, but I could not get behind this team.

Posted Image

Atlanta Hawks

Celtics receive: Josh Smith, Lou Williams, Devin Harris, Zaza Pachulia, Ivan Johnson

Hawks receive: Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Jason Terry and Jared Sullinger

Trade Machine: View the deal

If Danny Ainge is looking at a blow-it-up scenario, it's easy to see why Atlanta GM Danny Ferry would be willing to talk. The Hawks are an obvious trade partner because of the ongoing disruptive behavior of their star-and-free-agent-to-be Josh Smith, but also because of their high-performing veterans on one-year deals, something the Celtics could covet. It's hard to find a highly productive player with more upside and more in need of a change of scenery than Smith.

To be clear, Smith is no spring chicken at age 27 and that's not the best time to hand out a max deal. But look around and you'll find that there's just not another player of Smith's caliber on the market. Elsewhere, the 26-year-old Williams would be a perfect platoon mate in the backcourt next to Bradley for the long-term and the Harris-Pachulia combo could fill out the Celtics' playoff-ready rotation for the rest of the season. Worst-case scenario is that Smith doesn't pan out and the Celtics shed gobs of money when Smith, Pachulia, Harris and Johnson's deals expire at the end of the season, which would fully engage them into rebuild mode for the 2013-14 season.

The upshot from Atlanta's perspective is it can flip its expiring contracts into a borderline contender in the East, but the Hawks would first need Garnett to waive his no-trade clause. Working in Atlanta's favor in such a scenario is that Garnett grew up two hours outside of Atlanta in Greenville, S.C. Not working in Atlanta's favor is that Garnett famously called out Atlanta co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. in the playoffs last season. Still, can't count out an Atlanta-Boston hookup, even though it seems Ferry's No. 1 priority is to maintain flexibility for a potential Dwight Howard chase.

I'd do it, love it in the short-term. Teague-Korver-Pierce-Horford-Garnett, and Sullinger has promise. Terry's probably about done, though.

I hate all those players #1 ( wouldn't mind Sullinger though ). Ferry is NOT gonna trade Lou or Harris, he is in love with both of them ( especially Harris ).

Honestly, I don't think we will see Smoove in a different uniform any time soon. We will probably keep him around and end up throwing superstar money at him.

Pierce has one year after this one, but Terry's multiyear deal and Garnett's multiyear deal look kinda bad.

There's no way you wouldn't be able to say it's an upgrade at multiple positions though: SF, PF, C.

I'm not seeing this as a coup for the Celtics as others may be. Teague, Korver, Pierce, Horford, Garnett is definitely older, but is still a really solid starting 5. As much as I despise Pierce and Garnett both, you can't deny they are locker room leaders. They get others to rally behind them. Especially KG. They're the kind of guys you hate to play, but love to have on your side.

Like, that same deal without the Terry-Zaza pieces = huge win for us.

This is NOT a good deal. Why would we want to get that old? Doesn't make any sense, I realize Ferry is in "win now" mode but going out and doing a deal like this is very stupid if he is trying to have flexibility in the future ( namely this summer )

I will say as much as I hate Pierce and KG, putting both of them in with Horford and Teague would be pretty good.

KG

Horford

Pierce

Korver

Teague

Not a terrible lineup.

Well, if Ferry is giving up on the idea of getting Dwight or CP3, and he very well may need to, this deal looks great to me. Especially if you leave Terry out of it.

This is NOT a good deal. Why would we want to get that old? Doesn't make any sense, I realize Ferry is in "win now" mode but going out and doing a deal like this is very stupid if he is trying to have flexibility in the future ( namely this summer )

I will say as much as I hate Pierce and KG, putting both of them in with Horford and Teague would be pretty good.

KG

Horford

Pierce

Korver

Teague

Not a terrible lineup.

This is just horrible. I cheer for all things Atlanta, but I could not get behind this team.

Posted Image

Atlanta Hawks

Celtics receive: Josh Smith, Lou Williams, Devin Harris, Zaza Pachulia, Ivan Johnson

Hawks receive: Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Jason Terry and Jared Sullinger

Trade Machine: View the deal

If Danny Ainge is looking at a blow-it-up scenario, it's easy to see why Atlanta GM Danny Ferry would be willing to talk. The Hawks are an obvious trade partner because of the ongoing disruptive behavior of their star-and-free-agent-to-be Josh Smith, but also because of their high-performing veterans on one-year deals, something the Celtics could covet. It's hard to find a highly productive player with more upside and more in need of a change of scenery than Smith.

To be clear, Smith is no spring chicken at age 27 and that's not the best time to hand out a max deal. But look around and you'll find that there's just not another player of Smith's caliber on the market. Elsewhere, the 26-year-old Williams would be a perfect platoon mate in the backcourt next to Bradley for the long-term and the Harris-Pachulia combo could fill out the Celtics' playoff-ready rotation for the rest of the season. Worst-case scenario is that Smith doesn't pan out and the Celtics shed gobs of money when Smith, Pachulia, Harris and Johnson's deals expire at the end of the season, which would fully engage them into rebuild mode for the 2013-14 season.

The upshot from Atlanta's perspective is it can flip its expiring contracts into a borderline contender in the East, but the Hawks would first need Garnett to waive his no-trade clause. Working in Atlanta's favor in such a scenario is that Garnett grew up two hours outside of Atlanta in Greenville, S.C. Not working in Atlanta's favor is that Garnett famously called out Atlanta co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. in the playoffs last season. Still, can't count out an Atlanta-Boston hookup, even though it seems Ferry's No. 1 priority is to maintain flexibility for a potential Dwight Howard chase.

And I mean, what's worse:

KG making 12M in 2014 and 2015

or

Smith making 16M in 2014 and beyond?

I'd take the shorter KG deal anytime.

• Like 2

Would be a better team on the floor but I would not do this trade.

If Ferry is in "win now" idiotic pull the trigger mode then this deal has a shot at happening. We could win the East with that lineup, not even kidding.

If Ferry is in "win now" idiotic pull the trigger mode then this deal has a shot at happening. We could win the East with that lineup, not even kidding.

Rondo-Terry-Pierce-Bass-Garnett = 8th seed

Teague-Korver-Pierce-Horford-Garnett = NBA Finals?

I'm not buying it. Bass has a nicer offensive game than Horford especially his mid range game.

• Like 1