• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rockets still looming in Smoove trade discussions?

ATLscrubLove

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/14/are-the-rockets-in-the-market-for-josh-smith-maybe-not-quite-yet/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter Like the article says, it doesn't make sense for them. But the Rockets are looking to land another "star" to the roster. I wouldn't mind taking on some rookie contracts/draft picks.

Trade speculation surrounding Josh Smith is in full swing. The Brooklyn Nets and San Antonio Spurs have been reported as potential landing spots, but there may not be a more attractive trading partner for the Hawks given their rebuilding process than the Houston Rockets. Despite lacking a “big name” who can be moved, Houston has a ton of productive players on cheap, rookie deals. There are guys we haven’t even really seen like Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas who are intriguing prospects, and there are useful pieces like Patrick Patterson and Greg Smith.

But while a potential deal with Houston would make sense for Atlanta, it may not make sense for Houston. The Rockets have max cap room heading into this offseason, so sacrificing multiple assets to acquire a guy who will be a free agent in a few months may be a waste. Here’s Daryl Morey explaining Houston’s situation to Sam Amick of USA Today:

Via Sam Amick | USA Today

“The Rockets — who signed point guard Jeremy Lin in the summer and traded for Oklahoma City’s James Harden in late October — are on the lookout for another star and have enough salary cap space this summer to add a maximum-salary free agent. At the moment, that appears to be their path of choice.

“Most likely, it’s not going to be through trade,” Morey told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday. “Most likely, it’s going to be through the use of our cap room where we have max room this summer.

“I think (the time between now and the deadline) is going to be quiet. Of course a year ago, if you would’ve said, ‘James Harden – what about him?’ I would’ve said, ‘No way. They won’t trade him.’ You never know. You stay opportunistic. But I would guess that this trade deadline is going to be quiet.”

This is what Morey should say. The Rockets would have to combine quite a few salaries to match for a guy like Smith right now, and despite their playoff push, there really shouldn’t be a rush to contend. The financial situation is great, they have an incredibly young core, and they have a true star in James Harden.

With that said, it’s Harden who now shares some of the recruiting responsibility with Morey.

Low-key probably works for Houston right now. They’ll be hosting the All-Star game this weekend, so everyone will get a taste of what life in Houston is like. They’re contending ahead of schedule, true, but many a franchise has been wrecked by pushing the chips to the center of the table too quickly. Josh Smith does fit with what Houston wants to do, but patience may be the most valuable asset the Rockets can utilize at the trade deadline this year.

Asked if he had a specific player he wanted to join forces with, Harden — who doesn’t have off-court relationships with any of the players mentioned — says he’s not sure just yet.

“I don’t, and if I did have a guy I’d be texting him every single day,” he told USA TODAY Sports in a recent interview. “Dwight, Chris Paul, Bynum, all of them. I haven’t come across them. I’m more low-key.”

Edited by Dolfan23
Added quoted article

Wouldn't make any sense. Why would we help a team try to make the playoffs when we have the rights to their 1st round pick. Besides, they have no assets besides Harden and Lin.

Don't discount Greg Smith either as he's got a lot of skill on both sides of the ball, just can't get time under McHale for whatever reason. I'd love to get him and Motiejunas along with Patterson or Morris plus salary filler. Of course Parsons would be nice too but I don't want to be greedy.

I also think Parsons is a must....I'd go for:Parsons+MorrisParsons+ 1stParsons+ Montejunas The only guy I don't care for is Patterson. For a power forward he takes way too many perimeter shots..sound familiar lol

I kinda want Royce white lol I'm going to get klled for that but kid is talented

I was very high on him during the draft, guy was lighting it up in summer league and i'm a fan of his game.

Only problem is matching up the contracts to get the deal done.

White + Parsons + Montejunas + 1st doesn't equal Smoove's salary for this year. Plus, I'm sure Houston wouldn't do that deal.

The are under cap. Don't have to give to equal what they getParsons/smith/Morris/Patterson/montezuma (ha) are all desire able. Smoove is playin good BUT we all know we are losing him and should do it without some cheap talent

Actually it's going to be difficult to make a trade with the Rockets happen as they only have 6.8 million in cap space, meaning we'd have to at least take back about 7.2 million I believe to make the trade legal when you figure in Josh's trade kicker. That's if I remember HF's figure of Josh being about 13.9 million. So here are a few options that would make a trade with the Rockets work.

Outgoing

Josh

Incoming

Patterson AND Jones
One of - Parsons or Smith or Motiejunas
One of - Morris or Aldrich
I think that I would be okay with this, but the Rockets would be giving up several good young players here and I don't know if they'd be willing to do that. That's a big risk for a player who can easily leave after the season, but I believe they'd have the money to sign Dwight and re-sign Josh plus keep Harden, Lin and Asik so maybe they'd do it.