• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Broussard says Pheonix deal Gortat for Smith Dead

HawkItus

I like the Gortat and Jordan deals better then the others.

I doubt Phoniex would trade a lottery pick for a free agent they have no guarantee they would resign. I was not expecting a 1st round pick to be thrown in. I just wanted Gortat.

No way Smith is worth Gortat + a lottery pick. The board seriously overstates Josh's trade value around the league in my opinion.

Edited by coachx

I like the Gortat and Jordan deals better then the others.

I doubt Phoneix would trade a lottery pick for a free agent they have no guarantee they would resign. I was not expecting a 1st round pick to be thrown in. I just wanted Gortat.

No way Smith is worth Gortat + a lottery pick.

I disagree, I absolutely think that he is worth that amount. If we were talking about a top 3 pick in a strong draft then no, but a mid-late lottery pick in a weak draft plus a what, 28 year old center who's spent most of his career as a backup? Yeah Smith is easily worth that.

• Like 1

If Smith had 2 years left on his contract I would agree with you. However, you must admit that a player on an expiring contract hurts their trade value since the team trading for them is taking a HUGE gamble they will only have them for 28 games.

Gortat has been very productive since he became a starter. He would have been a starter long ago if were not trapped behind Dwight Howard in Orlando.....so calling him a career backup is not right. He is a starter right now and would be on at least 75% of the teams in the league today.

Gortat is not my favorite rumor but its only I could have lived with quite easily.

I just don't see Josh, on an expiring contract, bringing back a legit starting center plus a lottery pick. Maybe I'm crazy.......time will tell.

Plus Gortat and Smith are virtually the same age.......plaus Josh has tons of miles on his knees from logging all those minutes straight out of highschool. Its onle thing for a 32 year old Pau Gasol, or a 36 year old KG to have kneed tedonitis but Josh has it at 27 and will keep it for the rest of his career. His knees have taken a lot of punishment.

I disagree, I absolutely think that he is worth that amount. If we were talking about a top 3 pick in a strong draft then no, but a mid-late lottery pick in a weak draft plus a what, 28 year old center who's spent most of his career as a backup? Yeah Smith is easily worth that.

Edited by coachx

Gortat looked really good playing with Nash last year but he's never looked anywhere near that type of player without Nash and he's just an average starting C now who's reached his ceiling as a player. I wouldn't mind having him and I think he'd be great alongside Josh and Al but after thinking about it some more, there's no way would I trade him for Josh without a lottery pick and probably Dudley as well.

• Like 1

Take it for what it is worth.

Chris Broussard@Chris_Broussard

U never say never but source close to situation says Josh Smith to Phx 4 Gortat-headlined package is unlikely

Another example of Broussard covering for himself when patently just made something up. Phoenix claimed the next day that no such discussion ever took place.

• Like 2

Another example of Broussard covering for himself when patently just made something up. Phoenix claimed the next day that no such discussion ever took place.

Probably true.......the Nets rumor may be the only one with legs.I wish the Bucks rumor were true if a 1st round pick was included being that it will probably be 5 picks before the Nets..........Ellis is just an expiring contract.......nothing more.Keep all your cap flexibility and add pick around 15 sounds good to me.........granted I don't believe in Smith as a long term building piece like some do. Sometimes you need to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward.We could have picks 15, 16, and 17 when it's all said and done. Then on draft night we are open to wheel and deal with plenty of cap space for free agency. Edited by coachx

Probably true.......the Nets rumor may be the only one with legs.I wish the Bucks rumor were true if a 1st round pick was included being that it will probably be 5 picks before the Nets..........Ellis is just an expiring contract.......nothing more.Keep all your cap flexibility and add pick around 15 sounds good to me.........granted I don't believe in Smith as a long term building piece like some do. Sometimes you need to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward.We could have picks 15, 16, and 17 when it's all said and done. Then on draft night we are open to wheel and deal with plenty of cap space for free agency.

This is the only part of the rumors to me that have standing. When trading Josh away you have to be looking at getting back equal value, either immediately or through moves. You really don't want 3 rookies, but moving 2 of those later for someone else's cap headache to replace Smith's production is possible.