• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dolfan / Phoostal Miami draft discussion thread

Admin

Love our pick Dolfan! and only giving up the first second awesome! I'm excited to see what Ireland has planned next. What an offseason! As excited as I have been for an upcoming season. Hopefully the Hawks can have an offseason like the fins.

I love the aggressive move to get up and get this kid. Have you seen his NFL Sports Science video? He had the 3rd highest DE score ever, just behind Demarcus Ware and Dwight Freeney. His 360 spin move is 50% faster than Freeney's is! Plus he's a skilled TE with great hands and can probably play some red zone TE for us with his 4.6 speed and 6'7 height!

• Like 1

I love the aggressive move to get up and get this kid. Have you seen his NFL Sports Science video? He had the 3rd highest DE score ever, just behind Demarcus Ware and Dwight Freeney. His 360 spin move is 50% faster than Freeney's is! Plus he's a skilled TE with great hands and can probably play some red zone TE for us with his 4.6 speed and 6'7 height!

Didn't see that but will look it up now on espn. So pumped up about the team.

The D-Coordinator at Oregon gave him the nickname of the Praying Mantis. Pretty sweet. He so reminds me of JT hopefully he is as good as him.

Me too and he's still a bit raw like JT was coming out. Very similar player though! Does it get any better than what Mayock said though? Man oh man I hope he's right!

Pick Analysis: "This young man, I think he's got the potential to be the player that I compare him to, which is Jason Taylor, who ironically played for the Miami Dolphins. I also think he looks like an Aldon Smith, and if he puts on 20 pounds on that 6-foot-7 frame, one day he might be as good as a DeMarcus Ware." -- Mike Mayock

What I find interesting is all is tackles for losses something like 29 and he could have had a ton more sacks, but Oregon had him play a lot of coverage. He was covering TE's and slot receivers that should tell you something about his speed. What a great trade, nice work Ireland

What I find interesting is all is tackles for losses something like 29 and he could have had a ton more sacks, but Oregon had him play a lot of coverage. He was covering TE's and slot receivers that should tell you something about his speed. What a great trade, nice work Ireland

I've heard some people say he could play OLB for us a lot when we go hybrid and run the 3-4 or even the 52 defense and he'll be terrific covering Gronk or Hernandez... or at least I hope he will be.

I've heard we are actively trying to trade Bess for a 4th or 5th and possibly to move Odrick for a 2nd. Definitely going to be interesting tomorrow! If we can get a 2nd for Odrick and then flip that pick for Albert that would be pretty awesome. Follow that up with Cyprien, Wreh-Wilson and Swope and this would be the best draft of my life.

Heard about Bess, but not the Odrick deal. I'm not against using that for Alberts, but I have my questions about it. One he has had back troubles and if we were going to pay him what is being reported I think I would have just kept Long. Right now I think I would like to keep Martin at LT he played it in college protecting Luck. Then go sign our boy from the U and that is Winston for RT give him a two or three year deal. Tomorrow should be interesting, looking forward to it.

Heard about Bess, but not the Odrick deal. I'm not against using that for Alberts, but I have my questions about it. One he has had back troubles and if we were going to pay him what is being reported I think I would have just kept Long. Right now I think I would like to keep Martin at LT he played it in college protecting Luck. Then go sign our boy from the U and that is Winston for RT give him a two or three year deal. Tomorrow should be interesting, looking forward to it.

Yeah I agree I worry about Albert too, although his back issues aren't a huge deal as they are muscular and not skeletal as it was just back spasms. Not something to just ignore, but at least it's not a disc issue. The bigger issue to me is that he's not in the best of shape, seems to think he's elite and deserves elite money and I really don't see him being worth 8-9 million. I was glad we didn't pay Jake Long as I think Sparano ruined him and he'll be out of the league in 3 years due to injuries. I agree about Martin and I'm hoping we either sign Winston or maybe take Menelik Watson if he's still there at 54. However, my ideal situation would be sign Winston, trade Odrick for a 2nd or 3rd, and Bess for a 4th or 5th, and then draft Cyprien (S) at 54, Wreh-Wilson (CB) at 77 - best zone CB in the draft, and then Swope (WR) at 82 to play the slot. He'd be a HUGE upgrade to the slot with his size, quickness and 4.3 speed.

Yeah I agree I worry about Albert too, although his back issues aren't a huge deal as they are muscular and not skeletal as it was just back spasms. Not something to just ignore, but at least it's not a disc issue. The bigger issue to me is that he's not in the best of shape, seems to think he's elite and deserves elite money and I really don't see him being worth 8-9 million. I was glad we didn't pay Jake Long as I think Sparano ruined him and he'll be out of the league in 3 years due to injuries. I agree about Martin and I'm hoping we either sign Winston or maybe take Menelik Watson if he's still there at 54. However, my ideal situation would be sign Winston, trade Odrick for a 2nd or 3rd, and Bess for a 4th or 5th, and then draft Cyprien (S) at 54, Wreh-Wilson (CB) at 77 - best zone CB in the draft, and then Swope (WR) at 82 to play the slot. He'd be a HUGE upgrade to the slot with his size, quickness and 4.3 speed.

I like those scenarios. I could see Swope and Tex A&M guy so you know he fits. The receiver I have my eye on is Wheaton out of Oregon St. Also, look for us to target TE Reed out of Fla or the San Diego St TE.

I like those scenarios. I could see Swope and Tex A&M guy so you know he fits. The receiver I have my eye on is Wheaton out of Oregon St. Also, look for us to target TE Reed out of Fla or the San Diego St TE.

I don't know if we'll target a TE or not, it depends on what they think about Keller long term and possibly Eggnog and whether or not he can turn it around this year. Personally I have my doubts after Hard Knocks last year but I'm still hopeful as he's got a lot of talent.

Like the pick of Taylor - good value and he only seems to be getting better, disappointed with the Bess trade thought we could have done better than swapping picks in the 4th and 5th

Yeah I think the Bess trade was a courtesy to him to get him a long term contract extension.I'm excited about Taylor, although I wanted Wreh Wilson or Honey Badger

Think he will be better than both. The only thing I like with the Honey Badger is his special teams play. Wilson good coverage but not physical. Taylor can play zone or man and is very physical. Interested to see what we do with these 2 picks in the 3rd. Maybe Armstead the OT with one of the picks. I think we are making a move for an OT as a free agent or trade, we just have to. Can't rely on the rest of the draft to get a starter.

On a side note, really going to miss Bess. One of my favs on the team. An undrafted free agent he busted his ass to make it. Always dependable. Sad to see him go.

Pretty high praise from SI.comTaylor is a smooth athlete with the top end speed to run with any receiver down-field. He displays quick feet in his pedal and is able to consistently flip his hips and maintain spacing coming out of transition while in man coverage. He is physical with his man in press coverage which allows him to sustain inside leverage. In zone coverage he does a solid job of keeping the play in front of him and displays the burst needed in transition to close effectively from off his target. He displays outstanding ball skills as he times his break and reach around well, and when he can cut off the route he attacks the ball in the air to consistently come down with the interception. NegativesWhile at Boise State Taylor was able to compensate for his limited smaller frame by playing aggressive and physical in man coverage, but he will still need to bulk to his frame in order to compete with bigger NFL receivers. His size and strength limitations are particularly noticeable against the run, as he struggles to shed blockers at the POA when he allows them to get on top of him quickly off the snap. He is also not a consistent tackler, as he tends to duck his head and dive at the ball carrier instead of holding his ground and wrapping up. AnalysisIf Jamar Taylor were an inch taller and ten pounds heavier the media would likely be talking about him as a top 15 prospect, because his athleticism and coverage skills are second to no one in this draft class. He has the elite long speed needed to run with any NFL receiver down-field and an outstanding combination of quickness, instincts and a willingness to play physical in man coverage. When the ball is in the air he acts as if it were meant for him, as he works hard to establish inside positioning and cut off routes, allowing him to high point the ball in front of his man for PBUs and INTs. His thin frame will limit his effectiveness at the next level against larger possession receivers, as well as his ability to shed blocks in time to get involved against the run. Overall, if he can add another 10-15 lbs. of muscle to his frame he could develop into the best CB from this draft class, and is clearly worth a late day one selection.

On a side note, really going to miss Bess. One of my favs on the team. An undrafted free agent he busted his ass to make it. Always dependable. Sad to see him go.

Yeah I'm gonna miss Bess but he really bothered me last year with his running back to try and get around the defender instead of just getting the first down. We really need more speed at WR!