• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LD's final Presser - a hint on the season

DJlaysitup

As much as we all enjoy making fun of Coach LD's pressers - he did let a little bit out in this (probably) final one for him. He said something like:

"When you have a team made up of guys without contracts (future contracts) and a coach without a contract...it's difficult to keep things together".

He then got a question about the game and switched gears - but I thought that one comment tells us about what the Hawks were really all about this year...it tells us that LD was in fact trying to make a "team" out of a bunch of guys who were primarily looking out for themselves...and probably why AL Horford wasn't more prominent in the offensive scheme ("He's got his contract..I needsta score my points").

The dynamics were likely much greater than we fans normally think of. Had Lou Williams not gotten hurt it may have been even worse.

Anyway - that last statement in the final presser told me that in fact LD was "herding cats" for the most part of the season. Things were good for awhile - then players (and likely agents) felt they needed a bigger role. It was a roller-coaster ride that I'm sure LD would prefer to not have to repeat.

Josh Smith sorta dissed LD in his little locker room presser too...and if I know Josh...he will spill on LD and Woody when he gets to his new team.

Enquiring minds want to know - and we likely will Posted Image .

• Like 3

I was not pleased with LD also but let's be honest, he did a good job considering that it was a rebuilding season. I believe he can have a Woodson type of turn around in his career in the future.

Edited by nitte
  • Like 2

I don't think he dissed anyone. Josh was smart about what he said during the interview, and he said he thinks everyone should be resigned. He pretty said he don't believe in giving his opinions on anyone's job.

• Like 2

I don't think he dissed anyone. Josh was smart about what he said during the interview, and he said he thinks everyone should be resigned. He pretty said he don't believe in giving his opinions on anyone's job.

Agreed - It was a diplomatic answer. Why would Josh give an endorsement when his situation is the same as LD's - both on ending contracts.

After reading that, I almost feel bad for LD... Almost.

EDIT: I missed Josh's presser, how did he "sorta" dissed LD?

It was just a bit worse than damning with faint praise...not terrible but basically saying that he didn't want anybody to lose their job...no matter how they did.

It was borderline diplomatic at best....I dunno...seemed that way to me...we all have our own opinions.

Edited by DJlaysitup

"Without a contract" refers to the season's end, not the present season

which is now over.

I belive that our young JJ is under his rookie contract as he was a first

round pick and their contract is for more than one year. Horford is still

under contract. Either of these two can be traded.

Now that our season is over, everyone else, including our head coach,

is without a contract, IE, free agents. Any and all of them may sign with

whatever team wants them that they want to play for, including doing a

re sign with the Hawks.

It is several days / weeks before players can sign new contracts as a free

agent. I assume coaches can sign contracts at any time. However, if they

are already a coach or assistant coach with a team that is still in the playoffs,

it would not be a good idea to contact them until their team is out of the

playoff picture.

When next year's Atlanta team gathers to have their team picture, we wonder

if there will be any of the old gang from this season there.. Whatever happens,

you can rest assured that someone here already knew that would happen and

some will say, regardless of what is done, that was a terrible move. Count on it!

+++++

• Premium Member

I was not pleased with LD also but let's be honest, he did a good job considering that it was a rebuilding season. I believe he can have a Woodson type of turn around in his career in the future.

Your avatar...is nothing easy.

• Like 1