Is the Fantastic Four possible? (CP3, Jsmoove, Big AL, D12)

JTB

I'm not a cap genius/guru but I saw that there was a report about 2 weeks ago that said it was possible for our hawks to retain these 4 players.Personally I'm thinking hell why not try or attempt to do the impossible? Especially since Houston is trying to free up more cap the hawks may need to dream even bigger!I understand that this will have to be major paycuts for all these players but hey it could happen!If ferry sells it right I can see josh taking a huge paycut to play with his best bud and a shot for a ring! Paul too and even horford if he wasnt already signed to a deal but Howard I'm not so sure.Anyways the cap is at 58m maybe they will go for this :Cp3-13mSmith-9mHorford-12mD12-13mAdd Lou 5m and that adds up to 52m. Which only leaves 6m to fill the bench but I believe the hawks would be willing to go into the lux tax to sign the rest of the bench.Also the hawks should give Paul and Howard a poison pill contract like Houston did Lin and Asik.With that said I believe the hawks may need to do this in case Houston does free up the needed cap space to go after Howard and Paul. I get that our bench won't be too good but you never know what vets are willing to play for when they are going after a ring.....just sayin~DREAMING BIG~

After much thinking and pondering I think I came up with a scenario where yes, the big 2+2 could happen. It's a bit complicated and would require cooperation but it is plausible.

Current roster situation -

Horford - 12

Williams - 5.25

Jenkins - 1.26

Scott - .8 (including Scott as he is a given and = to a roster slot +.3)

---------------------------

Mandatory cap hold

Tyler (hold) - .1

8 slots @ $4.0 (approximate)

--------------------------

23.41 technically this is where you are. (not including picks on purpose, you'll see why)

Now in order to retain Josh in this scenario he must be signed first (you must deal with your own deals first).

Josh - 12 million - 500,000 roster slot cap hold

35.91 million

Now you deal with Dwight

18 million - Dwight (assuming minor discount to play with Paul/Smith/Horford) - 500.000 vet min cap hold

53.41 million.

In this scenario and even including the extra cap holds for the draft picks, the Hawks are 5 million under the cap.

The Clippers sign and trade Chris Paul to the Atlanta Hawks in a 3 way deal

Clippers get - 3rd team player, Jeff Teague, 17th pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

3rd team gets - 18th pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

Atlanta gets - Chris Paul

Why the 3rd team does it? Finding a team over the cap who needs to dump a quality player will not be hard (see Boston, Chicago, LAL, NJ, etc)

Given current NBA cap rules, a trade of Teague for Paul will not work because Teague will not make enough to = 150% of the incoming salary. A third team is necessary.

Clips do it for 2 players and a pick to save face if they believe Paul is gone.

Will this happen, I don't think so and I've fudged the numbers a bit. Teague's cap hold is a bit high and makes the Dwight signing not possible by a few million. Smith could get more or less depending on the situation, his head which would affect this and the numbers are so close its nearly impossible.

So JTB, I recant my earlier, it isn't going to happen and replace it with a "it's highly unlikely it will happen." It is statistically doable but highly unlikely.

Also, I do not know how the sign and trade would retroactively affect the original signings. Hawksfanatic or others might want to clarify. But unlike what we previously said it is possible and possible giving them the kind of money they are due, but would require an extreme amount of cooperation by numerous parties.

Now the end result.

Paul

Jenkins/Williams

Smith

Horford/Scott

Howard

2 2nd round picks, no one else on the current roster (to satisfy cap hold requirements) and 4 vet minimums. So no Mack, no Zaza, no Johnson, etc.

But possible and that starting 5 would be the best in basketball but the bench beyond Williams would be a crap shoot.

Camp I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that until you trade the 17th and 18th picks you would still have the roughly $3 million cap hold for those picks vs empty slot cap holds. So that's about $2 million more for the draft picks than the vet holds.

You'd also couldn't trade Teague if you've renounced him, which you'd have to do in order to have all that cap space you listed early on to sign Josh and Dwight. Jeff Teague has a $6.1 million cap hold and combined with the $2 million from the draft picks you're looking at $8 million less than your plan when you get to the point of re-signing Josh and signing Dwight, which would not make it possible unless he takes a major pay cut.

Creative plan there and even if it weren't far fetched (as you admitted it was) it's not going to be possible.

Camp I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that until you trade the 17th and 18th picks you would still have the roughly $3 million cap hold for those picks vs empty slot cap holds. So that's about $2 million more for the draft picks than the vet holds.

You'd also couldn't trade Teague if you've renounced him, which you'd have to do in order to have all that cap space you listed early on to sign Josh and Dwight. Jeff Teague has a $6.1 million cap hold and combined with the $2 million from the draft picks you're looking at $8 million less than your plan when you get to the point of re-signing Josh and signing Dwight, which would not make it possible unless he takes a major pay cut.

Creative plan there and even if it weren't far fetched (as you admitted it was) it's not going to be possible.

I did mention that I fudged it a bit based primarily on Teague and I'm using the generous 12 for Smith 18 for Dwight (previous numbers in the post are 13 and 10).

I also assumed Williams wouldn't be used in the trade part or traded away for space to make it happen.

It is doable with minor tweaking but isn't exactly smart based on 2 major factors

1. When Horford's would come up for renewal he would command more (assumed)

2. The rookie contracts, Howard/Paul/Smith would all be escalating and would push the team into the LT from year 1 on.

Edited by thecampster

By the way, Teague's hold and the draft picks hold is a net of about 8 million with my scenario showing 5 million in room, so you are technically 3 million away from the scenario showed working. If we assume the price for Smith is closer to the 10 million you guessed and not the 14 million starting I guessed and you assume a price tag of 17 million starting for Dwight, then its doable as stated....again, big ifs.