• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: CP3 and D12 trying to team-up via Multiple Sources

NBASupes

I know this is a stretch, but since we're under the cap, is there any way we'd take back salary from LAC to allow this to happen if we know Dwight and Paul aren't coming here? I know it makes more sense for them to come here, but let's just say we took back Caron Butler (expiring), Eric Bledsoe, D'Andre Jordan, and a pick for a future ATL pick or something. That would free them up to re-sign Chris Paul and then FA Dwight Howard. They'd build a big 3 of Paul, Howard and Griffin. I'd rather see Howard in LAC than LAL if ATL isn't an option.

We'd have our PG and young Center to retool our team with and still have about $14 million under the cap to fill the remaining spots. Thoughts?

Jordan is an overpaid bum. Worst idea of 2013.

Jordan is an overpaid bum. Worst idea of 2013.

I'm not personally crazy about him myself. I'm just throwing out a possible scenario that works money wise. For that same amount of money, there are other guys I'd rather have manning the paint, but he is at least a good positional defender and plays above the rim (meaning he doesn't try to play outside his comfort zone).

I'm not personally crazy about him myself. I'm just throwing out a possible scenario that works money wise. For that same amount of money, there are other guys I'd rather have manning the paint, but he is at least a good positional defender and plays above the rim (meaning he doesn't try to play outside his comfort zone).

Jordan is not a good defender. I would bring back Josh before DeAndre becomes an option.

Jordan is not a good defender. I would bring back Josh before DeAndre becomes an option.

I'm not advocating this move, I'm just stating a possible way LAC could get D12 and Cp3 on the same team. Replace Jordan with Blake Griffin for all I care and keep Al at Center. Either way, it's possible they could make it work with Atlanta or even another team like Houston. You don't think Houston would love Blake Griffin? My point is nothing more than LAC can make it happen I believe if they wanted to bad enough and Dwight took a slight discount to make it happen. Enough teams need a Center that I believe someone would take Jordan off their hands and if not, I have no doubt they could move Blake Griffin. Butler's expiring is nice too for a team trying to get FA money for 2014. Is it likely? I don't think so. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Edited by Dragitoff

Houston fans can dream but they don't have enough to offer even one the max right now.

Aisk will be due 15 mil/each in 2014-15. No one is taking that poison pill when one is overpaid at the MLE in Lin and the other while having a nice impact on the game gets outproduced more than he produces. In other words, if they want to play together Atlanta is their best and only legit option outside of Utah which has to move Marvin's contract.

Where on earth are you getting these numbers for Asik from? He counts 8.5 million each of the next 2 years against the cap and I know some have speculated that if he's traded that the team trading for him will get that poison pill that Houston put in to keep Chicago from matching but I haven't seen a single reputable source that confirms this.

Even if that does happen, he's not going to be owed $30 million in the next 2 years when the entire contract, including last year, was for $25 million total and already had $5 million paid of it and 8.3 million of it count against the cap, leaving $17 million left. Teams with $60-70 million dollar payrolls aren't going to sweat paying him $15 million in the final year of that contract after they only pay him $5 million this coming season. The only thing that really matters it that his cap hit will be $8.3 million each of the next 2 seasons.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/omer-asik/

Where on earth are you getting these numbers for Asik from? He counts 8.5 million each of the next 2 years against the cap and I know some have speculated that if he's traded that the team trading for him will get that poison pill that Houston put in to keep Chicago from matching but I haven't seen a single reputable source that confirms this.

Even if that does happen, he's not going to be owed $30 million in the next 2 years when the entire contract, including last year, was for $25 million total and already had $5 million paid of it and 8.3 million of it count against the cap, leaving $17 million left. Teams with $60-70 million dollar payrolls aren't going to sweat paying him $15 million in the final year of that contract after they only pay him $5 million this coming season. The only thing that really matters it that his cap hit will be $8.3 million each of the next 2 seasons.

The $30 million was Lin and Asik in the 3rd year. Leadership left out Lin's name in this line but the each clearly gives it away that he was talking about Lin and Asik. "Aisk will be due 15 mil/each in 2014-15."

The $30 million was Lin and Asik in the 3rd year. Leadership left out Lin's name in this line but the each clearly gives it away that he was talking about Lin and Asik. "Aisk will be due 15 mil/each in 2014-15."

You may be right but that's not entirely clear as it sounds like he's referring to 2 years, not 2 players in 1 year. But the bottom line is that nobody with any significance, to my knowledge, has said that if Asik or Lin are traded that the poison pill would kick in. Even if it does it doesn't impact their cap number.

Aisk will be due 15 mil/each in 2014-15

Aisk and Lin are both

$5,225,000 $14,898,938

Next year. Now how they count under the cap, is

$8,374,646 $8,374,646

The problem is, an owner has to pay them 5.2 in 13' and 15 in 14' because of their poison pill contracts. No owner will want to pay them 15 mil in 14'. Neither player is half way close to being worth that.

The only way they could sign them to that contract is via poison pill which is why Chi and NYK didn't match. It's common knowledge. Go ask Larry Coon and other cap guys about it.

Even if that does happen, he's not going to be owed $30 million in the next 2 years when the entire contract, including last year, was for $25 million total and already had $5 million paid of it and 8.3 million of it count against the cap, leaving $17 million left.

They are poison pill contracts. Meaning they get around 5.1, 5.2 and BOOM 15. It doesn't change even if the cap hold stays the same.

You must not be an owner. No one will want to do that deal.

Edited by Leadership

Aisk and Lin are both

$5,225,000 $14,898,938

Next year. Now how they count under the cap, is

$8,374,646 $8,374,646

The problem is, an owner has to pay them 5.2 in 13' and 15' in 14' because of their poison pill contracts. No owner will want to pay them 15 mil in 15'. Neither player is half way close to being worth that.

The only way they could sign them to that contract is via poison pill which is why Chi and NYK didn't match. It's common knowledge. Go ask Larry Coon and other cap guys about it.

They are poison pill contracts. Meaning they get around 5, 5.1, 5.2 and BOOM 15. It doesn't change even if the cap hold stays the same.

You must not be an owner. No one will want to do that deal.

These owners are multi-multi-multi millionaires and in some case billionaires. They aren't worried about forking over $15 million out of pocket in 2015 after only having to pay out $5 million in 2014, which is a hell of a deal for a starting PG or a starting C. Either way it works out to the same amount whether it's broken down evenly or split up like that and the most important factor is the cap hit and that's not going to change.

And it's common knowledge that those contracts were poison pills to CHICAGO and NEW YORK as both are near or are luxury tax teams. That's not going to affect teams who aren't luxury tax teams.

Find me somewhere where it shows that if they're traded that they will have a cap hit of more than $8.3 million each of the next 2 years.

These owners are multi-multi-multi millionaires and in some case billionaires. They aren't worried about forking over $15 million out of pocket in 2015 after only having to pay out $5 million in 2014, which is a hell of a deal for a starting PG or a starting C. Either way it works out to the same amount whether it's broken down evenly or split up like that and the most important factor is the cap hit and that's not going to change.

And it's common knowledge that those contracts were poison pills to CHICAGO and NEW YORK as both are near or are luxury tax teams. That's not going to affect teams who aren't luxury tax teams.

Find me somewhere where it shows that if they're traded that they will have a cap hit of more than $8.3 million each of the next 2 years.

Are you sure about that? Most would get rid a 2nd rounder for a cool mil. Even Chicago had to say no chance to that PP contract. Not to mention, Aisk isn't worth that and Lin most definitely isn't worth that. That factors into the equation as well.

I don't see one team that would be interested in paying that contract. Not one. Houston is it.

I see your take but these NBA teams are penny pitchers as we already seen that with the lockout and the NFL with NFL vets.

Edited by Leadership

Are you sure about that? Most would get rid a 2nd rounder for a cool mil. Even Chicago had to say no chance to that PP contract. Not to mention, Aisk isn't worth that and Lin most definitely isn't worth that. That factors into the equation as well.

I don't see one team that would be interested in paying that contract. Not one. Houston is it.

I see your take but these NBA teams are penny pitchers as we already seen that with the lockout and the NFL with NFL vets.

The ASG would get rid of a draft pick for money but the majority of the good teams are the ones who buy picks not sell them.

Chicago and NY couldn't match because of the restrictions of being over the luxury tax under the new CBA, which is where they'd be if they matched those deals and had those players in 2014-2015.

You're not getting it. Both Lin and Asik are worth $10 million each over the next 2 years as full-time starters. Whether that's $5 million in year 1 and $15 million in year 2 or $10 million in each year or some other combination, the final amount is still $20 million out of pocket and $17 million against the cap over that 2 year period for each player. Those are bargains for full-time starting caliber players, especially Asik's contract.

You gotta look at this like the 75% of the owners in the league who aren't what we've seen from the ASG over the years. They're not all looking to sell draft picks and keep costs down as much as possible.

1) This is Atlanta. Good things don't happen for us, since Sherman.

2) Broussard.

On a "truthiness" scale of 1 to 10, I give this article a "meh."

The ASG would get rid of a draft pick for money but the majority of the good teams are the ones who buy picks not sell them.

Chicago and NY couldn't match because of the restrictions of being over the luxury tax under the new CBA, which is where they'd be if they matched those deals and had those players in 2014-2015.

You're not getting it. Both Lin and Asik are worth $10 million each over the next 2 years as full-time starters. Whether that's $5 million in year 1 and $15 million in year 2 or $10 million in each year or some other combination, the final amount is still $20 million out of pocket and $17 million against the cap over that 2 year period for each player. Those are bargains for full-time starting caliber players, especially Asik's contract.

You gotta look at this like the 75% of the owners in the league who aren't what we've seen from the ASG over the years. They're not all looking to sell draft picks and keep costs down as much as possible.

Here is what you aren't getting. Are they worth it?

It's that simple, are they worth it?

If they are, a team might show interest, even with Aisk showing that he is a decent center this year and a starter for a decent team, is he worth it? He rank around where a young Sammy D used to rank. Is he worth 5/15 for a franchise would be the question.

As for Lin, at 5/5 he would be a tough sell to suitors but at 5/15 it is a no. It's like trying to trade A. Beidrens. You just can't, there is no market.

That's what it comes down too.

With that said, NBA teams are penny pitchers. Not just Atlanta but just about everyone except for NY, LAL, and MIA who do not have any caproom.

I know one train of thought is that Houston trades Asik for a 1st rounder and then trade that 1st rounder back to LAC with spare parts for Paul. Houston has to give alot up and take back almost nothing to get those two.

Who would do that? There are only six teams under the cap by 9 mil or more aside from Hou. Dal, Uta, Atl, Cha, Mil, Det.

Only teams with center needs are: Dal, Atl, and Cha.

The ones who can find a starting in the draft at center: Cha

That leaves two teams: Dal and Atl

Who are trying to get D12 and CP3: LAC, LAL, Dal, Atl and Hou.

That trade isn't going to happen then.

Here is what you aren't getting. Are they worth it?

It's that simple, are they worth it?

If they are, a team might show interest, even with Aisk showing that he is a decent center this year and a starter for a decent team, is he worth it? He rank around where a young Sammy D used to rank. Is he worth 5/15 for a franchise would be the question.

As for Lin, at 5/5 he would be a tough sell to suitors but at 5/15 it is a no. It's like trying to trade A. Beidrens. You just can't, there is no market.

That's what it comes down too.

With that said, NBA teams are penny pitchers. Not just Atlanta but just about everyone except for NY, LAL, and MIA who do not have any caproom.

I'm pretty sure I clearly stated that they are each worth an average of $10 million per year for 2 years to teams who are in need of a starting C or PG. Asik is without a doubt a quality starting NBA C who impacts the game on defense and with his rebounding and that's a bargain for $10 million. On a team where Lin can have more control of the game and not have to share the ball with a guy like Harden he's worth close to $10 million but the extra money you make in ticket sales for Linsanity is well worth it. I can't tell you the number of commercials and billboards I've seen for him in the past year.

And no you are flat out wrong, NBA teams aren't penny pinchers, at least not most of them. That's why they even have a salary cap and a luxury tax in the 1st place, to penalize teams from spending too much.

You can't seriously think that 20 million over 2 years for Lin is a good contract. That's as bad as contracts get. Sure Lin can start but he isn't going to take you anywhere but the lottery unless you have a bunch of studs around him.

You can't seriously think that 20 million over 2 years for Lin is a good contract. That's as bad as contracts get. Sure Lin can start but he isn't going to take you anywhere but the lottery unless you have a bunch of studs around him.

For the Lin that played in NY under an ISO system where's dominating the ball, yes I do. Not only that but the extra money that he generates in ticket sales for Linsanity makes up for a lot of that as well. I'm not saying that Lin is a great fit or worth that amount to every team but there are at least 10 teams who'd be upgrading by trading for Lin and letting him completely run the offense.

Who would do that? There are only six teams under the cap by 9 mil or more aside from Hou. Dal, Uta, Atl, Cha, Mil, Det.

Only teams with center needs are: Dal, Atl, and Cha.

The ones who can find a starting in the draft at center: Cha

That leaves two teams: Dal and Atl

Who are trying to get D12 and CP3: LAC, LAL, Dal, Atl and Hou.

That trade isn't going to happen then.

Actually, Cleveland might do that for the 19th pick (some guru from RealGM was saying)

But Asik has good value but I think teams will want more than just Asik