• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

790 the Zone Fires Mayhem in the AM

Bahamut

As much as I defend the station overall, I never liked when these morons got off-topic, and this time it bit them in the ass. This is why sports radio shows should focus on sports instead digressing. I still think 92.9 and 680 are garbage, but this may lead to some talent shuffling around the local stations. I wonder how long 790 will last with an insurance company as an owner. Steak really screwed himself by buying those St. Louis radio stations that tanked and led him to sell his interest in his own station in the first place.

790 the Zone Fires Mayhem in the AM (AJC)

This is probably the beginning of the end for 790. I really can't listen to 680 any more, especially, well all their shows. 92.9 seems like amateur hour. The fact that Lincoln Financial never would invest in an FM signal really does show that they have little interest in the station.

Steak, Nick, and Chris were Atlanta sports fixtures for the past 15+ years, so it will be different without them.

That said, that "comedy" skit was really awful and they should have received a reprimand. I don't know about firing, but they are in the media business and appearance is everything.

• Like 1

• Moderators

"THINGS I LEARRRRRRRRRRRNED..."

I was hinting about this on the 92.9+Hawks thread yesterday as this was blowing up.

Dimino will land on his feet somewhere soon, although I do wonder about his non-compete contract clause. He should be doing full-time national baseball broadcasting anyway and not wasting valuable time with early-morning gags on local AM radio. Going forward, Cellini has "Bleacher Report columnist" written all over him. Shapiro, who cares. Farewell, cha-cha.

I agree that 790 is dead in the water. I'm just shocked they'll probably be gone before 680.

~lw3

• Like 1

CSS is probably like . . WTF? Now we have to go back to running fishing shows in the morning.

I wonder who they'll promote to replace them? Maybe they'll take the cheap way out, and just go with a simulcast of ESPN's Mike and Mike.

I find it ironic that the station promote itself as "unfiltered sports talk radio", but turn around and fire the most popular hosts on the station for doing something "unfiltered".

I love Nashville sports talk radio, because they've seem to have mastered all facets of it from an entertainment and intrigue standpoint. The two stations in the area do an outstanding job all throughout the year. They're so good, that I kid you not . . they just mentioned the hosts of Mayhem in the AM as I was typing this, and how someone in that studio should've said . . "isn't this a little silly and unnecessary"?

The problem with big market sports talk radio, is that their shows seem to be more "host driven" than "caller driven". Nashville sticks with the "caller driven" radio format, and it makes for a better overall sports talk experience.

• Like 1