• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Trade Targets (only expirings)

Dragitoff

I hope this doesn't belong in the trade section, but I looked at potential trade targets for the Hawks if they decide to save cap space for 2014's off-season and fill the team out with 1 year deals and guys on expirings. There are quite a few on teams that might be looking to shed some salaries themselves so we could possibly get these types of players for virtually nothing since we're under the cap.

I know the general sentiment around here after the Doc to LA news is TANK!!!!!, but I'm looking at this from all angles.

Pau Gasol $19,285,850 makes a ton, but is one of the best scorers in the post and fits Bud's style

Paul Pierce $15,333,334 hated by Hawks' fans, but is a great leader and clutch scorer

Danny Granger $14,021,788 was an elite scorer, but can he be again after such a tough injury?

Kris Humphries $12,000,000 guaranteed double-double before he signed contract. Can he be again?

Luol Deng $14,312,125 probably not available, but Jimmy Butler's play might make him available

Shawn Marion $9,316,796 terrible shooter, but good defender and rebounder

Anderson Varajeo $9,100,000 great energy guy, but has health concerns that aren't injury related

Marcin Gortat $7,727,280 solid value for salary and is still pretty young. Good PnR guy

Spencer Hawes $6,500,000 not a banger, but a decent big man. Could be picked up if Bynum stays

Luke Ridnour $4,320,000 will Minny continue with 18 PG's on roster? Might be a PG option if all else fails

There were some other guys like Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins, Caron Butler, etc.... that were expirings, but I can't see us being interested in guys like that. At least the guys listed above can be solid contributors. We wouldn't trade for expirings when we already have more cap space than anyone else. At least with the guys listed above, you get something of value back.

I think that Ferry is going to look HARD at this route as well. That's why he's said all along that he's not stuck to just spending big in free agency and will use trades and the draft as other ways. I can see us taking on an expiring contract for a 2014 1st round pick or something like that and hopefully there will be teams desperate enough to get out of a contract without bringing back any salary who will go for that.

I think that Ferry is going to look HARD at this route as well. That's why he's said all along that he's not stuck to just spending big in free agency and will use trades and the draft as other ways. I can see us taking on an expiring contract for a 2014 1st round pick or something like that and hopefully there will be teams desperate enough to get out of a contract without bringing back any salary who will go for that.

I think LT teams like LA would jump at the chance to move Gasol for a 1st round pick or possibly a few 2nd rounders if they retain Dwight. Indy would dump Granger cheaply as well I believe as would Boston with Pierce. Whether or not we'd be interested in either of those is unlikely, but Gasol I could see as being a real target. He's a post threat big that rebounds well and passes well. He's a smart player that would fit well into Bud's proposed system. If only he wasn't making $19+ million he'd be a good option for us. With the right personnel, I think he still could be.

Guest Walter

I think LT teams like LA would jump at the chance to move Gasol for a 1st round pick or possibly a few 2nd rounders if they retain Dwight. Indy would dump Granger cheaply as well I believe as would Boston with Pierce. Whether or not we'd be interested in either of those is unlikely, but Gasol I could see as being a real target. He's a post threat big that rebounds well and passes well. He's a smart player that would fit well into Bud's proposed system. If only he wasn't making $19+ million he'd be a good option for us. With the right personnel, I think he still could be.

I could see us snt JS for Gasol allowing them to cut roughly 5-6 mil while getting Howard's friend. I'm not sending a first for him if we are about to enter a rebuild. I wonder what gasol would cost for his next contract?W

I could see us snt JS for Gasol allowing them to cut roughly 5-6 mil while getting Howard's friend. I'm not sending a first for him if we are about to enter a rebuild. I wonder what gasol would cost for his next contract?W

I'm a little hazy on the details, but with the Lakers LT situation, can they make a sign and trade? I know I've read where New York can't make any sign and trade deals because of the LT.

Also, I just saw on the twitter feed that Denver has put the 27th pick on the market. May not be a bad idea to try and acquire that pick.

If he can come back this season and prove himself healthy, I think he's still worthy of a short deal in the $10-$12 million range. He's still one of the elite post scorers in the game today and along with his brother Marc, one of the smartest and best passing 7 footers.

Honestly, I've always liked Gasol and think he brings an element that the Hawks are missing. I like him better than Al Jefferson, but he'd be making about $7 million more than Al Jefferson should be getting this year. For $7 more million, you could sign a few key rotational guys, but you'd only be committed to him for this year.

The thing is I don't believe LA can take back players in Sign and Trades since they're so far beyond the LT.

Whoever offers us a number of 1st round picks.

Honestly, two year contracts are actually good if we are tanking. Let's use the Knicks. If they are willing to give us their 2014 and 2016 1st round picks and a future 2nd rounder. Taking Amare contract off the their hand could be good. If they aren't, doing one year deals for bad contracts can be good if we can get a 2014 1st rounder.

Honestly, I would cut all of the players we trade for. We need their contract and their asset, not their contribution which would kill our chances to true tanking.

Edited by Leadership

I hope this doesn't belong in the trade section, but I looked at potential trade targets for the Hawks if they decide to save cap space for 2014's off-season and fill the team out with 1 year deals and guys on expirings. There are quite a few on teams that might be looking to shed some salaries themselves so we could possibly get these types of players for virtually nothing since we're under the cap.

I know the general sentiment around here after the Doc to LA news is TANK!!!!!, but I'm looking at this from all angles.

Pau Gasol $19,285,850 makes a ton, but is one of the best scorers in the post and fits Bud's style

Paul Pierce $15,333,334 hated by Hawks' fans, but is a great leader and clutch scorer

Danny Granger $14,021,788 was an elite scorer, but can he be again after such a tough injury?

Kris Humphries $12,000,000 guaranteed double-double before he signed contract. Can he be again?

Luol Deng $14,312,125 probably not available, but Jimmy Butler's play might make him available

Shawn Marion $9,316,796 terrible shooter, but good defender and rebounder

Anderson Varajeo $9,100,000 great energy guy, but has health concerns that aren't injury related

Marcin Gortat $7,727,280 solid value for salary and is still pretty young. Good PnR guy

Spencer Hawes $6,500,000 not a banger, but a decent big man. Could be picked up if Bynum stays

Luke Ridnour $4,320,000 will Minny continue with 18 PG's on roster? Might be a PG option if all else fails

There were some other guys like Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins, Caron Butler, etc.... that were expirings, but I can't see us being interested in guys like that. At least the guys listed above can be solid contributors. We wouldn't trade for expirings when we already have more cap space than anyone else. At least with the guys listed above, you get something of value back.

If you plan on keeping any of these guys, we aren't doing true tanking. We need to keep the cup bare but still have some talent like Al, Lou, and Jenkins.

Most of these guys would be anti-tank and anti-contender. That's a double negative.

Remember, if you want to win at something you need to win.

There are two championships in the NBA every year.

The NBA Championship where there are usually around 4-5 contenders a year.

The Tank Championship where there are usually around 4-5 contenders a year.

If you aren't competing for the NBA Title, you are likely a loser. If you are competing for the tank championship, you likely need a strong draft or you are a total loser.

OKC were tank champions.

Washington have been tank champions.

Cleveland have been tank champions.

Miami has been NBA champions. Dallas has been NBA champions.

LAL has been NBA champions.

Charlotte has been tank contenders.

Memphis have been tank contenders.

Orlando has been tank champions and are now contenders.

San Antonio has been NBA contenders.

Indiana has been NBA contenders.

OKC has been NBA contenders.

The Hawks have been a joke

The Bucks have been a joke

The Sixers have been a joke

The Bobcats have been a joke

The Wizards have been a joke

The Kings have been a joke

Edited by Leadership

Remember, if you want to win at something you need to win.

There are two championships in the NBA every year.

The NBA Championship where there are usually around 4-5 contenders a year.

The Tank Championship where there are usually around 4-5 contenders a year.

If you aren't competing for the NBA Title, you are likely a loser. If you are competing for the tank championship, you likely need a strong draft or you are a total loser.

OKC were tank champions.

Washington have been tank champions.

Cleveland have been tank champions.

Miami has been NBA champions. Dallas has been NBA champions.

LAL has been NBA champions.

Charlotte has been tank contenders.

Memphis have been tank contenders.

Orlando has been tank champions and are now contenders.

San Antonio has been NBA contenders.

Indiana has been NBA contenders.

OKC has been NBA contenders.

The Hawks have been a joke

The Bucks have been a joke

The Sixers have been a joke

The Bobcats have been a joke

The Wizards have been a joke

The Kings have been a joke

So you are going to continue to ignore the data.

If you tank, you have an 8% chance of winning 50+ games in the next ten years.

If you win 45-49 games, you have a 17% chance of winning 55+ games within the next ten years.

Hmmm. Which strategy would I take? Oh, I'm obviously going to use the strategy that gives the me least percentage chance of succeeding long term --> tanking.

• Like 2

So you are going to continue to ignore the data.

If you tank, you have an 8% chance of winning 50+ games in the next ten years.

If you win 45-49 games, you have a 17% chance of winning 55+ games within the next ten years.

Hmmm. Which strategy would I take? Oh, I'm obviously going to use the strategy that gives the me least percentage chance of succeeding long term --> tanking.

You keep giving me this data ignoring that the 2014 and 2015 draft class is loaded.

You keep giving me this data without acknowledging we only have one asset on this team who could get us a 1st rounder and that's Al.

You keep giving me this data without acknowledging that staying in the middle is the worst place in Basketball and has always been the worst place in Basketball. Ask Sam Mitchell. Ask any coach. Ask any GM. Ask any owner. Your attendance is general worse in the middle than it is at the bottom. Obviously your attendance is best when you are an contender.

Our franchise value is like the 2nd worse in the NBA. Go to Forbes.com.

I'm a little hazy on the details, but with the Lakers LT situation, can they make a sign and trade? I know I've read where New York can't make any sign and trade deals because of the LT. Also, I just saw on the twitter feed that Denver has put the 27th pick on the market. May not be a bad idea to try and acquire that pick.

The Lakers have to amnesty MWP before they can acquire anyone in a SnT.

If you plan on keeping any of these guys, we aren't doing true tanking. We need to keep the cup bare but still have some talent like Al, Lou, and Jenkins.

Most of these guys would be anti-tank and anti-contender. That's a double negative.

I'm not for tanking. I think it's a crap shoot approach. In the NBA, tanking doesn't always guarantee you a number one pick, even if you had the worst record. The theory of tanking is the same logic that has this country in shambles right now. Let me perform terribly so no one will hire me and I can get paid by the government even though I'm fully capable of working. I'm not a Charlotte or New Orleans that just can't work because no one will legitimately give them a chance. I just choose to not do it because I want to sit on my butt and pray one of these scratch-off tickets hold my fortune! Give me a break!

I'm sorry, but a good organization is not run by praying for luck. You make things happen. You want us to change our culture? Make sound moves and bring in quality players that other people want to play with. Bring in coaches that players want to play and play hard for. Don't throw away good money on the wrong guys, but make sound investments for the future. Scout properly and get the best you can. Talent can be grown and bought. You need them both to succeed. You can't have a team full of draftees and be successfull. OKC got extremely lucky with Durant and Westbrook, but look, they've hit their ceiling too. They can turn it around with smart business moves and bring in the right personnel, but should they too just blow it up and start tanking because their 2 smart picks didn't get them a title?

I trust Ferry to make the best possible product they can this season and going forward, but anyone who thinks tanking is the only option is very short-sighted despite their thoughts that is the best long-term approach.

I'm sorry Leadership, but you hi-jack every thread and attack everyone who disagrees with you. This thread was nothing about tanking, yet you turned it into yet another tank thread. I disagree with your opinion and can live with that. Can you? Please leave the discussion in this one thread about the possible trade targets who we might be interested in. Obviously, if you were Ferry, you woudn't because you would want to lose 82 games next season. That is established. Others might feel differently so that's what I was trying to discuss here.

• Like 2

I'm sorry Leadership, but you hi-jack every thread and attack everyone who disagrees with you. This thread was nothing about tanking, yet you turned it into yet another tank thread. I disagree with your opinion and can live with that. Can you? Please leave the discussion in this one thread about the possible trade targets who we might be interested in. Obviously, if you were Ferry, you woudn't because you would want to lose 82 games next season. That is established. Others might feel differently so that's what I was trying to discuss here.

While I would leave I would appreciate if you would

A. Not assume my thoughts.

B. Not attack my notions.

C. Just reply to me with that statement (#17) this one in another thread which basically disrespecting me in terms of getting a reply and you trying to get a last shot.

That's is disrespectful, if you feel I am not respecting your thread address it, don't disrespect me in the process.

That's extremely disrespectful and appalling behavior. You could have done this a completely different way. As soon as you said what you wanted this thread to be about leave it at that. I didn't disrespect you once.

While I would leave I would appreciate if you would

A. Not assume my thoughts.

B. Not attack my notions.

C. Just reply to me with that statement (#17) this one in another thread which basically disrespecting me in terms of getting a reply and you trying to get a last shot.

That's is disrespectful, if you feel I am not respecting your thread address it, don't disrespect me in the process.

That's extremely disrespectful and appalling behavior. You could have done this a completely different way. As soon as you said what you wanted this thread to be about leave it at that. I didn't disrespect you once.

Fair enough sir. Discussion on you or tanking in this thread is closed as far as I see it. Good day to you. Posted Image

• Like 1