• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Rookies

Guest rivgambino

The Rookies ( Dennis/BeBe )  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest rivgambino

Most will agree that Muscala is ready of the 3 rooks & can come off the bench but what would you do re: Dennis & BeBe? Let them play out of the country for a year so they dont count as a cap hit ( not sure how that works ), to develop, to not take up a roster spot OR let them come off the bench and get some minutes so it hopefully helps them develop and learn Coach Bud's system right from the get go.

As of this exact moment -- leave overseas so we can sign Pek or something.

After FA, I may change my response.

Just because they are Euros you can not send them overseas. You have to offer them the contract, and they earn much more in the States so you could be pretty sure they will take it. I doubt you would ask the same, if you get an american players even when it would be an similiar decision.

Let them in europe is usually a option when they have predraft a long and good contract, or more likely if you get them into the second round where in the past often the first picks was europeans cause of it.

Schröder have an exit clause in his contract for the NBA, and he would earn up to 100.000$ if he keep it. So ask yourself what you would do Posted Image

Also i posted in the Schröder thread that he will play for the national team, in this report they also said that they agreed on an insurance for him which wouldn't be the case if Schröder don't have the contract for sure. Also the play on the point guard spot is quite different with FIBA rules, so i doubt it would be good for his development if he adjust to it(right now he plays a style which transforms well to the NBA), develope the "wrong skillset" and come back to atlanta where he have to get back to his old game.

Nogueira is in the same situation like a player who finish college, he have no contract. So why decline that, to get a worse one.

Silly question for me.

Edited by CrazyEye

We haven't particulary signed anybody that I care about at all aside from Korver so I say we might as well bring 'em over now. Dennis and Mike can come off the bench but Lucas should probably be in the D-League.

Edited by Q45T

We haven't particulary signed anybody that I care about at all aside from Korver so I say we might as well bring 'em over now. Dennis and Mike can come off the bench but Lucas should probably be in the D-League.

you signed nogueira and schröder through the draft :)

Just because they are Euros you can not send them overseas. You have to offer them the contract, and they earn much more in the States so you could be pretty sure they will take it. I doubt you would ask the same, if you get an american players even when it would be an similiar decision.

Let them in europe is usually a option when they have predraft a long and good contract, or more likely if you get them into the second round where in the past often the first picks was europeans cause of it.

Schröder have an exit clause in his contract for the NBA, and he would earn up to 100.000$ if he keep it. So ask yourself what you would do Posted Image

Also i posted in the Schröder thread that he will play for the national team, in this report they also said that they agreed on an insurance for him which wouldn't be the case if Schröder don't have the contract for sure. Also the play on the point guard spot is quite different with FIBA rules, so i doubt it would be good for his development if he adjust to it(right now he plays a style which transforms well to the NBA), develope the "wrong skillset" and come back to atlanta where he have to get back to his old game.

Nogueira is in the same situation like a player who finish college, he have no contract. So why decline that, to get a worse one.

Silly question for me.

I never thought it worked like this, but I'm not too wise on this topic.

The way I understood it, you draft a player and you have his rights -- doesn't mean you HAVE to offer him any sort of contract.

I never thought it worked like this, but I'm not too wise on this topic. The way I understood it, you draft a player and you have his rights -- doesn't mean you HAVE to offer him any sort of contract.

Yup. Although if we want to stash we need Lucas or Denis to sign a permission slip indicating that they will play in Europe in order to have their caphold removed. If they really really want to come over they could not sign the permission slip as a way to leverage a deal. Who knows if that will work/happen.

First round draft picks, you have to offer a contract. Which is pretty much a standard one, with a salary depending on the draft pick and +/- some percent depending on the negoating skills. The player is the only one who can say no, but he can not join a different NBA team them. The player need to accept the contract withim 2 season afaik.

Second round draft picks, the drafting club got the exclusive ,right to negotiate with the player without limitations for the salary for the next 3 years.

Both said prior draft that they want to play right away in the NBA if they get chanche, so if you don't want them don't draft them first round. Maybe at the end of the first round they might be situations, where it makes more sense to stay in europe for them since the salary difference is lower or maybe the salary is even higher in europe.

Edit: thats why the Mavericks downtradet this draft, to get a sheeper salary instead of picking the best player avaiable and don't make him an offer in the first year if they could land on howard.

The question for this thread who makes sense should be:

Should we sign Muscala right away, or should we let him develop overseas?

Edited by CrazyEye
  • Like 1

First round draft picks, you have to offer a contract. Which is pretty much a standard one, with a salary depending on the draft pick and +/- some percent depending on the negoating skills. The player is the only one who can say no, but he can not join a different NBA team them. The player need to accept the contract withim 2 season afaik.

Second round draft picks, the drafting club got the exclusive ,right to negotiate with the player without limitations for the salary for the next 3 years.

Both said prior draft that they want to play right away in the NBA if they get chanche, so if you don't want them don't draft them first round. Maybe at the end of the first round they might be situations, where it makes more sense to stay in europe for them since the salary difference is lower or maybe the salary is even higher in europe.

Edit: thats why the Mavericks downtradet this draft, to get a sheeper salary instead of picking the best player avaiable and don't make him an offer in the first year if they could land on howard.

The question for this thread who makes sense should be:

Should we sign Muscala right away, or should we let him develop overseas?

Both of what I bolded are wrong. A team does not have to offer a contract to a first round draft pick, although the team will have a caphold for 100% of the rookie scale unless they renounce their draft pick. That is a big incentive to offer the contract, but there is no language in the CBA that states a team must offer a 1st rounder a contract in order to retain their rights. Hell, same thing applies for 2nd rounders as well.

Whoops on the first rounders, I forgot a required tender is required. But the second bolded part is not right, rights are held for an indefinite amount of time.

And ALL draft rights are for an indefinite amount of time. There are only a few scenarios where this can be changed and that involves said player not playing any professional basketball for an entire year. After that year, the player is put back into the draft and the process repeats itself one more time before said player is a rookie free agent. Until then, said player can only be signed in the NBA by the NBA team that owns their rights.

Edited by hawksfanatic

not 100% right, the team had to offer him a contract to retain his rights. usually it is a non guaranteed one, so he get fired after accepting it. In this case he counts as waived, and other team can claim him off waivers.

If i understood this right, and the source is trustworthy:

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/draft/unsigneddraftpicks.jsp

Edit:

Even if i lack to udnerstand why signing those contracts is so abd, knowing you doN't have a chanche anymore at this team and are just a trade asset. And maybe other teams are still intrested in you, but don't want to offer anything for you and offer "your" minmum contract to someone else.

Edited by CrazyEye

I voted to throw them in the fire but that is contingent on whether or not we can land Pekovic. If we get Pek, then the offseason is a success and we can at least leave Bebe overseas to develop. But I kinda want to see Dennis over here. I think he needs to play in this league and will be our point guard of the future.

not 100% right, the team had to offer him a contract to retain his rights. usually it is a non guaranteed one, so he get fired after accepting it. In this case he counts as waived, and other team can claim him off waivers.

If i understood this right, and the source is trustworthy:

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/draft/unsigneddraftpicks.jsp

Edit:

Even if i lack to udnerstand why signing those contracts is so abd, knowing you doN't have a chanche anymore at this team and are just a trade asset. And maybe other teams are still intrested in you, but don't want to offer anything for you and offer "your" minmum contract to someone else.

You are right about the required tenders, but the one thing you have wrong is claiming that a team will only retain 2nd rounder's rights for 3 years. You retain the rights for an indefinite amount of time, not just 3 years. I think you might be getting that part confused with a new section of the CBA that allows a team to sign a 1st rounder in excess of 120% of the rookie scale if said 1st rounder is unsigned for at least 3 years.

You are right about the required tenders, but the one thing you have wrong is claiming that a team will only retain 2nd rounder's rights for 3 years. You retain the rights for an indefinite amount of time, not just 3 years. I think you might be getting that part confused with a new section of the CBA that allows a team to sign a 1st rounder in excess of 120% of the rookie scale if said 1st rounder is unsigned for at least 3 years.

This is why we could bring Alain Digbeu out of retirement, who we drafted in 1997. Right? :D

This is why we could bring Alain Digbeu out of retirement, who we drafted in 1997. Right? Posted Image

Posted Image

(assuming we have continued to give him a required tender every year he wasn't playing professionally, i.e. a minimum salaried non-guaranteed contract offer)

the " 3 years" was wrong i see that now more clearly. This one was directed to:

Until then, said player can only be signed in the NBA by the NBA team that owns their rights.

I was happy to find a source now, who explains it a bit more in detail. Since i never understood, why players should be happy about getting drafted in the second round if it only limit your choiches to one club instead of giving you the possibility to negotiate with 3-4 clubs who finds you intresting. So i at least know now, that they need to offer him a contract, even when it isn't a contract you can count on.

As of this exact moment -- leave overseas so we can sign Pek or something.

After FA, I may change my response.

The problem is once you declare they won't play for a season and clear their cap hold, no going back. They are ineligible for this season.

I like Muscala and then Schröder as far as being ready for minutes. BeBe is a year or two off and i would rather he play overseas where he can continue to grow ( he literally needs to add at least 20 lbs ) and compete.

Edited by Buzzard