• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague has signed a 4 year / $32 million offer sheet with Milwaukee

Admin

Would you want him as your starting PG ?

I'm just not a fan of Ellis as a starter............espcially as PG. I like him as a 6th man.

His arms are like a T-Rex and he is already short to begin with. Its like he plays defense with his arms tied behind his back. He is 6'3'' but with a 6'2'' wing span. For comparisons sake both Teague and Mack have a 6'7.5'' wing span.

No, I wouldn't want Ellis as the Hawks starting PG. I'd definitely take him over Jennings if Teague hadn't been matched, though.

Regarding your post above, that's not entirely true re: the Bucks. They offered him an extension before he hit FA that he turned down and he ended up signing for less money with the Mavs.

Edited by WakaFlocka

No, I wouldn't want Ellis as the Hawks starting PG. I'd definitely take him over Jennings if Teague hadn't been matched, though.

Regarding your post above, that's not entirely true re: the Bucks. They offered him an extension before he hit FA that he turned down and he ended up signing for less money with the Mavs.

Being offered an extension before the 2012-13 season is different than being offered a new contract in the when your contract is up at the end of the 2012-13 season. Players in their 20's rarely ever by-pass their first shot at being an unrestricted free agent, with the potential for more years and more money, for an extension that by rule is less years and less money than they could get in the open market. It was Monte Ellis' poor season that cost him in free agency........and I don't believe the Bucks offered him anything coming off that poor 12-13 season when he was a UFA.

Danny Ferry treated Josh Smith the same way. osh Smith did the same thing Ellis chose to do......not take the extension and gamble on a larger pay day as an UFA.

Edited by coachx

Being offered an extension before the 2012-13 season is different than being offered a new contract in the when your contract is up at the end of the 2012-13 season. Players in their 20's rarely ever by-pass their first shot at being an unrestricted free agent, with the potential for more years and more money, for an extension that by rule is less years and less money than they could get in the open market. It was Monte Ellis' poor season that cost him in free agency........and I don't believe the Bucks offered him anything coming off that poor 12-13 season when he was a UFA.

We'll never know when exactly the extension was put on the table, all we know is that the Bucks liked Monta enough to want to pay him $36m over 3 years. He was only a UFA because he turned down their offer and then opted out of the final year at $11m. 

I'm not some Ellis fan, I just don't think it's fair to say that all his previous teams wanted nothing to do with him. The Warriors liked him enough to give him $66m at one point. The Bucks liked him enough to offer him $25m on top of his $11m option year. The Mavs clearly trust him enough to bring in Felton and ship out Calderon and Larkin.

Edited by WakaFlocka

I said Jennings in this system.

Monta didn't play PG but he initiated the offense a good bit and he COULD play PG if he needed to and he'd be every but the PG Teague is.

In this system?  We need  better defenders and people who don't need a hope and a prayer to make a shot.  Jennings is the Josh Smith of point guards when it comes to shooting.

In this system?  We need  better defenders and people who don't need a hope and a prayer to make a shot.  Jennings is the Josh Smith of point guards when it comes to shooting.

Not gonna go through this again but Jennings at the time was (haven't looked at 2013-2014) the better jump shooter and 3pt shooter compared to Teague. You gotta actually look at their shooting zone %'s. 

I'm not some Ellis fan, I just don't think it's fair to say that all his previous teams wanted nothing to do with him. The Warriors liked him enough to give him $66m at one point. The Bucks liked him enough to offer him $25m on top of his $11m option year. The Mavs clearly trust him enough to bring in Felton and ship out Calderon and Larkin.

Just semantics..........and probably should not even waist the time but...........

I never said his previous teams wanted nothing do with him. I said his previous teams never featured Ellis as their starting PG to play along side a traditional SG. 

Not gonna go through this again but Jennings at the time was (haven't looked at 2013-2014) the better jump shooter and 3pt shooter compared to Teague. You gotta actually look at their shooting zone %'s. 

Jennings is the better jump shooter. That is the one thing he is better than Teague at.

No argument there.

Jennings is the better jump shooter. That is the one thing he is better than Teague at.

No argument there.

And until this year they were both adequately poor at defense. Teague took a big step forward defensively this season. If I had to choose between them now there's no doubt I'd go with Teague.

• Like 1

Just semantics..........and probably should not even waist the time but...........

I never said his previous teams wanted nothing do with him. I said his previous teams never featured Ellis as their starting PG to play along side a traditional SG. 

My fault, used the wrong words - I think you know what I was getting at, though.

Past teams didn't feature him as a true PG because he's not one and never will be, but they still liked him enough at one point to pay him handsomely and feature him on offense.

• Moderators

Looking back, I think the only second-guessing is about whether we are better off with our first round exit and the core for 2014-15 than we would be with Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum, etc. and the non-Korver/Sap/Teague/DMC leftovers from last year for the long-term.  This summer is showing that it is not objectionable as a price point.  If Teague has an above-average season next year (i.e., carries his post-season intensity to the whole season), he will make it look even better.

Looking back, I think the only second-guessing is about whether we are better off with our first round exit and the core for 2014-15 than we would be with Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum, etc. and the non-Korver/Sap/Teague/DMC leftovers from last year for the long-term.  This summer is showing that it is not objectionable as a price point.  If Teague has an above-average season next year (i.e., carries his post-season intensity to the whole season), he will make it look even better.

There is no guarantee we would get a top 5 pick even if we tanked.

• Moderators

You are following the wrong sport if you want guarantees.  There was no guarantee Michael Jordan or Sam Bowie would become stars when they went #3 and #2 in the draft.  One was the engine that won 6 championships and the other ended up as a solid player with significant injury issues.

Would those teams have been better off trading their picks for a couple of average to above average starters and role players?  

There are no guarantees.  I thought then that we should have gone for the gusto and joined the rush to the top of the lottery and that is a hypothetical world with no guarantees.  Ferry gets to prove the value of his path in the real world and we can all watch and evaluate.  Fundamentally, I think we need a star and that we aren't on a path to get one but I hope Ferry proves me wrong.

• Like 1

You are following the wrong sport if you want guarantees.  There was no guarantee Michael Jordan or Sam Bowie would become stars when they went #3 and #2 in the draft.  One was the engine that won 6 championships and the other ended up as a solid player with significant injury issues.

Would those teams have been better off trading their picks for a couple of average to above average starters and role players?  

There are no guarantees.  I thought then that we should have gone for the gusto and joined the rush to the top of the lottery and that is a hypothetical world with no guarantees.  Ferry gets to prove the value of his path in the real world and we can all watch and evaluate.  Fundamentally, I think we need a star and that we aren't on a path to get one but I hope Ferry proves me wrong.

At least Jordan had skills coming out of college...Wiggins has no skills!

Fundamentally, I think we need a star and that we aren't on a path to get one but I hope Ferry proves me wrong.

This pretty much sums up how I feel and want to see from Ferry.

At least Jordan had skills coming out of college...Wiggins has no skills!

I would trade our situation (aka the roster) to rebuild starting with Wiggins.

Edited by RWF