• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Culture Change.

Diesel

• Premium Member

A true culture change would have to start with the fans... not with the players. Attendance not considered, we have one of the worse fan bases if not the worse fan base in the NBA. The problem is this:

Atlanta never had to ask for a franchise or fight for this franchise. This franchise was laid upon us. I appreciate Mr. Thomas Cousins who tried to build this city into a great sports town but even though he was able to see his dream out, there was no outcry from the fans. Mr. Cousins brought us the Flames and the Chiefs. IF not for Dominique, the Hawks would have probably been moved by now.

However, even in Dominique's day, I remember many days of seeing low attendance and sometimy fans. So here we are almost 50 years later and we have a team that doesn't have a strong following.

Blame it on the bus line. Blame it on the parking. Blame it on the inner city. Blame it on the low population of the actual city... However, none of that stops fans from coming out and rooting for bigger stars like Lebron and Rose.

What will have to happen is a city like Seattle will have to take the Hawks. Then maybe when we have lost our team, a fanbase will rise up and fight for a team like Memphis, Charlotte, New Orleans, Seattle, and others have done. But right now, we're far to privileged to be appreciative.

Maybe McDavid was right. He was going to try to move this team. Prolly to Las Vegas. Sure he would have had a struggling fan base, but the house would have been packed every night. AND that small fan base that wants a team would have supported them.

What will the Atlanta Fanbase do? What can Ferry really do? Bring in a star who will suffocate?

Ferry can first bring in talent, because of our lame fan base winning is not enough. Spend the money on a superstar. We might have to spend a litle more to lure him, but, it is what it is.

Hawks need to stop it. We are at a good position here. Go get Ellis and Henderson from Bobcats or Ellis and some center.

then next year draft, trade, get a FA for our missing links.

Build around Horford/Millsap/Ellis in the next 2 to 3 years. Not hard, it really isn't

Be real here. You can't change a city the population of Atlanta. You have to market the product to fit your demographics. Sounds simple; but marketing is anything but that and has turned into a mini rocket science with all the R&D put into it every year.

Job one is turning this franchise into a positive looking ( image is everything ) product. From upper management down to players and all points in between. Job 2,3,4, and 5 is the rocket science part. Somewhere between job 1 and job 5 is where winning/contending is and that is probably much closer to job one than job five.

• Premium Member

Be real here. You can't change a city the population of Atlanta. You have to market the product to fit your demographics. Sounds simple; but marketing is anything but that and has turned into a mini rocket science with all the R&D put into it every year.

Job one is turning this franchise into a positive looking ( image is everything ) product. From upper management down to players and all points in between. Job 2,3,4, and 5 is the rocket science part. Somewhere between job 1 and job 5 is where winning/contending is and that is probably much closer to job one than job five.

The whole city is fickle. I watched the retirement festivities for Chipper Jones. The man deserved more than that. The fanbase for most Atlanta sports is that way. If you're up, they are with you. If you not up, they are against you. I want everybody to watch Boston this year. Their basketball team is in transition. Their football team has an alleged murderer on it bring shame to the organization. Their baseball team was losers for years. BUT their fans are going nowhere and will never ROOT for the opponents to win.

Even when OKC was terrible... Their fans were there.

The whole city is fickle. I watched the retirement festivities for Chipper Jones. The man deserved more than that. The fanbase for most Atlanta sports is that way. If you're up, they are with you. If you not up, they are against you. I want everybody to watch Boston this year. Their basketball team is in transition. Their football team has an alleged murderer on it bring shame to the organization. Their baseball team was losers for years. BUT their fans are going nowhere and will never ROOT for the opponents to win.Even when OKC was terrible... Their fans were there.

I guess u forgot about the Boston fans wearing paper bags and chants of MVP for Kobe ( even if they were LA fans you heard it)

Problem number one, Atlanta doesn't love Atlanta. We are fickle, we are separated. Part of the dislike is racist another part is indifference (just here to make money). The sprawling burbs have their local loyalties with much not care of anything inside I285. Splash this on a highly transient, transplant population.

Ferry can first bring in talent, because of our lame fan base winning is not enough. Spend the money on a superstar. We might have to spend a litle more to lure him, but, it is what it is.

Hawks need to stop it. We are at a good position here. Go get Ellis and Henderson from Bobcats or Ellis and some center.

then next year draft, trade, get a FA for our missing links.

Build around Horford/Millsap/Ellis in the next 2 to 3 years. Not hard, it really isn't

Wait I am confused. Winning? What has this team won? Did I miss something?

Look the fact is Atlanta lacks a Super Star. Yes, Nique was as close as this town has gotten. But look at the Falcons, not until Deon signed did anyone care. The Braves? After Hank Aaron it wasn't until the Glavine et al pitching staff. While Atlanta isn't exactly a haven, it isn't the dregs either. Fixing the fanbase needs to be a priority.

Problem number one, Atlanta doesn't love Atlanta. We are fickle, we are separated. Part of the dislike is racist another part is indifference (just here to make money). The sprawling burbs have their local loyalties with much not care of anything inside I285. Splash this on a highly transient, transplant population.

Atlanta Falcon fans seem pretty strong. Of course they in. And they are an organization that gets the Free Agents of their choice.Hawk88Falcons win, sorry.

Tired old topic. Blame the customer when the product doesn't sell!

The Heat and the Celtics are good examples -- when they don't contend, their fan bases are invisible. Obviously, the Heat will pack their arena for LeBron; do you think we wouldn't?

• Like 3

Look the fact is Atlanta lacks a Super Star. Yes, Nique was as close as this town has gotten. But look at the Falcons, not until Deon signed did anyone care. The Braves? After Hank Aaron it wasn't until the Glavine et al pitching staff. While Atlanta isn't exactly a haven, it isn't the dregs either. Fixing the fanbase needs to be a priority

The hawks have a 5 to 6 CONSECUTIVE playoff run, granted they have not maded passed the second round. But I would not tank, but adjust. Pay the money, take a chance, go get a center , and other pieces. We really dont know how good Horford is at power forward. But, If we have decided to tank, CALL IT, SAY IT. Stop effing around. I truly believe Horford/Millsap/Ellis is a great start.

Tired old topic. Blame the customer when the product doesn't sell! The Heat and the Celtics are good examples -- when they don't contend, their fan bases are invisible. Obviously, the Heat will pack their arena for LeBron; do you think we wouldn't?

Exactly. Ughh. Yet another thread made to ooze with positivity. Lol

• Premium Member

Look the fact is Atlanta lacks a Super Star. Yes, Nique was as close as this town has gotten. But look at the Falcons, not until Deon signed did anyone care. The Braves? After Hank Aaron it wasn't until the Glavine et al pitching staff. While Atlanta isn't exactly a haven, it isn't the dregs either. Fixing the fanbase needs to be a priority.

This is that attitude. You can't get on board until we win?? You would hate Utah and OKC... The fact of the matter is that there is only one winner per year, but in the meanwhile, your hometown team still needs support. So we have a fanbase with a mentality that You haven't won nothing... and Free agents perceive that and nobody wants to come here. Coaches don't want to come. Players don't want to come. So we generally get what we can and that's not going to win.

• Premium Member

Atlanta Falcon fans seem pretty strong. Of course they in. And they are an organization that gets the Free Agents of their choice.Hawk88Falcons win, sorry.

And Football is more popular than Basketball. It's an easier turn around. Plus football does a good job of promoting the colleges.

Building fan bases.

• Premium Member

Obviously, the Heat will pack their arena for LeBron; do you think we wouldn't?

No. Not if he doesn't win it all. We'll start off good but eventually, we will fall back into those empty seats.

It took Dominique being a slam dunk champion before he was "recognized" on a national level. Fortunately for him, the Hawks were on TBS. However, no star since has had the adoration of the fans here in Atlanta.

This is that attitude. You can't get on board until we win?? You would hate Utah and OKC... The fact of the matter is that there is only one winner per year, but in the meanwhile, your hometown team still needs support. So we have a fanbase with a mentality that You haven't won nothing... and Free agents perceive that and nobody wants to come here. Coaches don't want to come. Players don't want to come. So we generally get what we can and that's not going to win.

I will still watch like I always do. I am saying at this point it looks like there is no direction. I want to cheer but for what? If we tank then I cheer for tanking. If we are really going to try to win it all this year, then I will cheer for that. I am sick of this ownership leaving fans out to dry and expect us to be okay with the status quo and the treadmill. After a while it becomes where you can almost call the season before it starts. I just want SOMETHING to cheer for beyond making it to the first or second round. Something different for a change. Heck at least if we go the tank route I can cheer us as the underdogs that no one expects to lose to.