• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Your Seven-Foot-Center Salivation for the Day

• Moderators

I had a hissyfit last summer when the Hawks failed to trade up ahead of Boston's double-dip, and watched them snatch Fab Melo away from our evil clutches. I'm kinda over it now.

The league's second-best Melo is now available, now that the Grizzlies cut him loose on Friday. Memphis had acquired him and cash for the similarly soon-to-be-waived Donté Greene, then decided they just needed the money. Marc Gasol and Kosta Koufos seem more than adequate at the center spot.

Fab wrecked shop on occasion at the D-League level, but failed to distinguish himself in limited action with the Celts. The "highlight" of his year was when he walked into a hotel room door while with the Maine Red Claws, requiring a mid-season call-up from Boston just to check him out.

http://deadspin.com/5972686/the-celtics-called-up-fab-melo-because-he-walked-into-a-door

Doc Rivers seemed to have positive expectations of Melo long-term, but of course he's not in Beantown anymore. Kelly Olynyk and Vitor Faverani will provide the multifaceted skills at the position Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens are looking for.

Here's a glimpse of Melo's summer league action, plus some Vines of him working out at IMG Academy right before the Celtics-Grizzlies trade.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/8/14/4621496/fab-melo-doin-work

Now if we really wanted a raw 7-foot shot blocker from Brazil, we kinda already drafted one, with way better hair. But at 255 pounds, Fab does have the bulk we're expecting Nogueira to develop eventually. Would he at least be worth a make-good contract flyer to compete for a spot in training camp? He could at least simulate what the Hawks expect out of Bebe in 2014.

~lw3

I wouldn't. When everyone was raving about him before the 2012 draft, I said I can easily see him being a bust. Now I'm not saying he is a bust by any means, but he seems to be headed in that direction. Thanks but no thanks on Fab.

So I made thread about this guy and then I saw this thread immediately afterward. I decided to make an internet meme for when this happens. I've chosen to say that I, 2 chaaaineed! Huh, any takers.

Moving on to Fab. I basically agree with Lethal weapon. He seems like a slightly older version of Bebe: long, athletic, immature, needs development. But he seems to have the weight not to get pushed around so much. He has almost no offensive game but if he can get on the court with schoeder, he'd be nice in the pick and roll. I think his agent will want him to go to a team where he'll get some playing time in the league as opposed to getting sent to the d-league where he spent most of last season. I think he has a chance on this roster and wouldn't mind bringing him in.

• Like 1